View Poll Results: Will you upgrade to stable Feisty as soon as it is released?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

114 78.08%
  • No

15 10.27%
  • Maybe

17 11.64%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you Adopting Feisty as soon as it is released?

Beans

Re: Are you Adopting Feisty as soon as it is released?

I put in maybe because I usually download when the latest release comes out, then install about 3 days later. After 3days the 1st fix updates if any are out, been doing it since Breezy.
    Most people have something cool here all I have is ________

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm going to install it as soon as it goes gold.

Beans
    Hidden!

Installed the Beta due to the promises of wireless out of the box...works without a hitch, only after some tweaking of the router...wasn't able to pinpoint the exact reason I couldn't at first see my router with all the security turned on, but I'll further investigate each security feature one by one tonight to find which one stops communication. The real point is that my USB wireless adapter was up and running as soon as I plugged it in. I couldn't get it at all detected on Edgy and didn't own it while I was on Dapper. Only installed it last night, and will spend the evening trying to install Nvidia drivers and getting my DVB tuner and DVD video working...such fun!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I already upgraded my laptop about a week ago. Only problem so far was with Network Manager. I ended up disabling it for now. I've been running Ubuntu on this laptop (Acer Aspire 3500) since Breezy and this is the first time the screen resolution was correct right out of the box. I didn't have to reconfigure xserver to get it right. I plan to upgrade my desktop after the final release comes out next month. I'm thinking about building a new desktop as well.

tgoose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Assuming it works from a live CD, I don't see any good reason not to upgrade.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Are you Adopting Feisty as soon as it is released?

Absolutely - in fact, Feisty marks my return to Linux after a few years! Work has been crazy, and I've lost touch some with Linux developments.

When I saw Feisty beta (of Kubuntu), I installed it on my system, and will keep it there and upgrade as the updates are released.

Every so often I like to install Linux to keep up as it gains new features. And I think my Feisty install is a keeper! It seems stable enough for me already.

My PC just needs more memory (or upgraded) so I can do some virtual machine Windows to get off Windows all together!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by AusIV4 View Post

When I do upgrade, I'll do so on a different partition than my primary one, so if there are any problems, I'll just have to adjust grub to revert to my stable partition. I've learned my lesson about upgrading too quickly.
    As I've mentioned on another thread, I ran into uuid problems when attempting to upgrade from Edgy to Feisty, and my attempts failed. Hopefully in the «final» release this type of problem will have been resolved, and I intend to upgrade as soon as this release is posted. I first tried to go back to my earlier kernel, Ubuntu 2.6.17-11-386, but even here I failed, and a so-called kernel panic occurred. In the end, I was forced to first install Dapper from my live CD and then upgrade to Edgy. Here I did an automatic partitioning which maintained my previous partitions, hoping thereby to save my data. But I cannot get my machine to boot from GRUB to the previous kernel. Any suggestions how I can boot from this partition and retrieve my data ?...

Henri

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The beta worked better and required less tweaking than Edgy on my laptops (Dell e1405 and Toshiba sattelite A70). Feisty herd5 and beta have been rock solid on a dev desktop (Dell 3100). Will upgrade a server and 4 desktops when the final comes out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by phillytim View Post
    My PC just needs more memory (or upgraded) so I can do some virtual machine Windows to get off Windows all together!
    This is a very good alternative to dual booting. I'm running WinXP as a guest using VMWare on an Edgy install. What do plan to use? VMware, Xen, or other?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I agree with what AusIV4 said earlier. I was running fine on Dapper, but Edgy caused me problems. Specifically the 2.6.17 kernel was problematic even on my Fedora machines. Feisty is running like a charm. All my apps and hardware work and I really like the fact that they warn you about proprietary hardware binaries such as the Nvidia driver and the Intel 3945 Centrino wireless card through the Restricted Drivers Manager. I still use them, but the warning is nice. All in all the Ubuntu install is the easiest of any OS I have used and with the Live CD, you know it is going to work before you install. I even had my wife asking to use it because "it works better than Vista on the Internet."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast