Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boycott Novell, DO NOT Buy, Use or Redistribute SUSE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Boycott Novell, DO NOT Buy, Use or Redistribute SUSE

they (Novell) probably thought it worth all the bashing they knew it will come, the advantages of interoperability stuff and so on...I'm really looking forward to see openoffice reading .docx office 2007 documents. that is the part of the deal I'm concerned of. not idealism . I USE an os, not make from it a metaphysical thing
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karellen View Post
    they (Novell) probably thought it worth all the bashing they knew it will come, the advantages of interoperability stuff and so on...I'm really looking forward to see openoffice reading .docx office 2007 documents. that is the part of the deal I'm concerned of. not idealism . I USE an os, not make from it a metaphysical thing
    Nice, but as the site referenced by the OP points out, they are forking OpenOffice into an incompatible product (partially). So, you may use OO on SLED and create a document Ubuntu OO users cannot open.

To be clear, OO allows this forking, but most GPL'ed software doesn't.

What Novell is doing is splitting the Linux community granting more rights to one part of it. This violates the spirit of the GPL in any version and will be explicitly dealt with in v3. So Novell might want to take a close look at a BSD variant to base it's system on because their agreements locks them out of all GPLv3 software.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well, we'll wait and see what happens. good or bad. gpl 3 has stiil some way to go...and novell the same, they had losses in the last months if I'm not wrong

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have grown to suspect anything Microsoft does. I do not trust that the deal with Novell is anything other than a trap of some kind. The burden to prove that wrong is on them. Until then, I treat it as I treat other untrusted sources. So I guess you could say I have instituted my own own boycott of sorts, but it's more like waiting to see if it is a trap or not. Until I can tell one way or the other, it's hands off for me.
    How to install and run Photoshop 7 or earlier in wine
    Switched to Linux completely 1 January 2007 Ahh, a solid year of freedom
    My Website

Beans

well, we'll wait and see what happens. good or bad. gpl 3 has stiil some way to go...and novell the same, they had losses in the last months if I'm not wrong
    The GPLv3 should be finalized last month and I read today that even Torvalds sees merrits in the latest revision. It will take some time before the massive uptakes happens, but you can be sure that the GNU utilities will use it very soon, which are very much needed to make a distro work.

Novell did take some losses and it will remain to be seen if their allianation from the community will be worth the added sales.

I'm joining the boycott in any case.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Actually a quick look at Google's stock quotes feature suggests that Novell (NOVL) has been seeing some growth lately. I will not use or support the use of openSuSE/SLED until I see the the aftermath of the GPL v3 and see how Novell responds to the community's response.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

momentarily I'm much into ubuntu to use any other linux distro. at least for the next months. edgy, then feisty fawn (besides xp) and nothing more

Beans

It makes sense that Microsoft is interested in interoperation between Windows and Linux. Its pretty clear at this point that Linux on the server isn't going away, and their Windows server software isn't so popular that they can just ignore Linux.

In the past MS has been interested in standards when they didn't have a clear monopoly. Its only after crushing the competition that they turn to lock-in.

EDIT: I'd just like to add that I installed opensuse 10.2 with gnome on my new pc and I'm very pleased with it. They've put alot of thought and hard work into developing a good system GUI, but you stil have the bash shell if you prefer to do things a little faster. I'll stick with this until the next update for suse comes out.
    Last edited by Yossarian; March 29th, 2007 at 07:45 PM. Reason: addendum
    - Captain John Yossarian

Speak frankly, speak in French.

Beans

If you read the Halloween memos it's clear that closed standards and formats are also seen as a way of crushing the opposition in the first place.

Things are never simple

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Honestly, I don't think Novell's pact with Microsoft presents much of a threat to open-source, but I *do* think it's an underhanded and sleazy way to try to get one-up on Red Hat. A crying shame too, I think.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast