Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

1.11 Debs can be found here:
    http://packages.dfreer.org/pool/feis...inary-amd64/P/
    http://packages.dfreer.org/pool/feis...binary-i386/P/
    You'll need to tell apt-get not to upgrade to the latest version if you want to continue using 1.11 and upgrade your system.

Hmmm. When you are using compiz, are you using XGL or AIGLX? Generally, XGL will not allow you to play 3D games. I use nvidia + AIGLX + beryl + pSX 1.12 fullscreen and I haven't noticed any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I ended up getting it to work fine with mythgame. Was a file permission and filename character issue.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

Well I ruled out a problem with pSX so downgrading won't help.
    I am running XGL, but when I switch to metacity I'm still logged in with the XGL session and it works.
    So basically:
    ATi + XGL + Compiz + pSX 1.12 fullscreen = Bad
    but:
    ATi + XGL + Metacity + pSX 1.12 fullscreen = Good

Oh well so long as I have a workaround I'm happy. I already have to switch out of Compiz to run Java apps, so I'll just leave it until Gutsy comes out. Then I'll get everything running properly.

Beans

@jw5801
    I don't know if you have already tried this, or if you even want to spend the time messing with it. But here goes:
    You may be able to use AIGLX with your ATI card, if you switch from using the "fglrx" driver and use the open-source "radeon" driver. In most cases, this will not work as the open-source driver is not nearly up to par, but in some cases (my sister's ATI 9550 Radeon supported this) it works wonderfully. She is able to use beryl + AIGLX and play video games, and hasn't had any problems so far.
    I find it's eaiser than having her log out and select an XGL session to use beryl, then logout and use a regular X session to use direct rendering.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    @jw5801
    I don't know if you have already tried this, or if you even want to spend the time messing with it. But here goes:
    You may be able to use AIGLX with your ATI card, if you switch from using the "fglrx" driver and use the open-source "radeon" driver. In most cases, this will not work as the open-source driver is not nearly up to par, but in some cases (my sister's ATI 9550 Radeon supported this) it works wonderfully. She is able to use beryl + AIGLX and play video games, and hasn't had any problems so far.
    I find it's eaiser than having her log out and select an XGL session to use beryl, then logout and use a regular X session to use direct rendering.
    I'll give it a shot when I have some time but I don't have to log out, all I have to do is run
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    to be able to run it, which is irritating, but not as bad as it could be.

Beans

If anyone has been having problems with running my package on Debian Lenny/Testing AMD64, there is now a package in the repository just for you I haven't been slacking off entirely, you see...

EDIT: ...Neither has pSX Author, it appears pSX 1.13 is out, along with several new goodies for us linux users:
    Code:
    v1.13 Added Korean, Bosian, Serbian and Icelandic translations
          Added some missing translations to Linux build
          Debugger DMA capture buffer now autoresizes
          Fixed streaming music in Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius
          Fixed bug when setting sound frequency in Windows
          Implemented volume and mute in Linux
          Fixed "missing body parts" bug in Deception 3
          Fixed bug that caused XA audio in Deception 3 to not stop correctly
          Fixed random crash in Road Rash: Jailbreak
          Fixed debugger crash when emulator is reading from CD
          Fixed hang opening CD images in Linux
          Per-user settings for Linux (.ini file is now stored in ~/.pSX)
          Removed SSE instructions used during init (should fix crash on AMD CPUs)
          Fixed GTK warnings when clicking window close button in Linux
    One thing to look into, for those of you that were having segmentation faults, although I do not know if this is related):
    Code:
    One thing: if you are using my packages to upgrade, please note that pSX can now use a psx.ini located in the current directory, OR use one located in your home directories. Either method is acceptable, although in general I'm going to assume that you use ~/.pSX/psx.ini

FURTHER EDITING:
    For those of you absolutely anxious to try pSX 1.13, but are deathly allergic to *.tar.bz2 packages, I have a solution:
    Ubuntu Feisty AMD64 Users = Just apt-get update/upgrade, or if you've never used this before: http://packages.dfreer.org
    Debian Lenny/Testing AMD64 Users = Follow the instructions at the bottom of this page to add a new repository just for you!: http://packages.dfreer.org
    Last edited by dfreer; August 28th, 2007 at 04:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I tried psx, unfortunately it crash with "segmentation fault" after selecting language and bios.
    I tried both versions (tar.bz2 and repository package), same problem.

I use feisty 32 on amd64.

Now i'm using the old epsxe
    Code:
    Maybe they don't completely fixes this bug

edit: i see in the previous pages that i'm not the only with this problem.
    Last edited by Babets; August 30th, 2007 at 08:45 PM.

Beans

@babets
    I'd encourage you to post your problem, along with full CPU info to the pSX forums, as it probably isn't a problem with my packages. Here's the link in case you don't already have it: http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Version 1.13 rocks man. I haven't reproduced a single crash or hang from the previous version, which happened quite often when I tried to load an image. Kudos to the devs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast