Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Just wanted to point out that you can get pSX to work in Hardy with pulseaudio by temporairly disabiling 2 files. Rename the 2 files ~/.asoundrc and/or /etc/asound.conf pSX should work with sound after that.
    That definitely works on my work computer. I'll have to try it on my laptop later. I was pretty disappointed last time I tried to run pSX and it didn't work because of the pulseaudio thing. I can't get epsxe to work and I can't get pcsx to read ISO files (laptop has no CD drive).

Beans

Yeah, pulseaudio seems to be a kludge. It works really nice if you have it setup properly and know how to tweak the .asoundrc file (and when to disable it). I was trying to get SDLMAME working the other day and was having garbled sound. Then I found a post where someone had a totally different .asoundrc file for SDL programs, and when I used it the garbled audio went away. So now, I have 2 .asoundrc files on my system that I need to rename when I want to use them! Stupid!!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I tried the workaround on my laptop with Intrepid and I actually couldn't find any .asoundrc or asound.conf to rename. Lame.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I tried the workaround on my laptop with Intrepid and I actually couldn't find any .asoundrc or asound.conf to rename. Lame.
    I'm getting errors now too since I installed Intrepid on my EeePC.

Code:
    [src/linux/sound.cpp, line 215]: 'snd_pcm_hw_params_set_access(pcm_handle,hwparams,SND_PCM_ACCESS_MMAP_INTERLEAVED)' returned 'Invalid argument' pad=0
    Since PCSX seems to be under the mistaken idea that every computer has an optical drive I'm going to have to give ePSXe a try and hopefully that one will work. If not I'll have to evaluate whether it would be worth dropping back to Hardy for the benefit of playing PSX games...

--bornagainpenguin

PS: I already did a search but the results were inconclusive, because I did a clean install.
    Have a Virgin Mobile USA smartphone?
    Check these guys out!

Beans

How about updating this guide for intrepid? I'm having problems with AMD64 (your repositories don't even work).

Beans

I would really appreciate some feedback on this, as I only run Ubuntu Hardy/Intrepid through Live CD's:

I believe this will solve the problems for most people unable to launch pSX in Ubuntu Hardy/Intrepid. Try the following packages and see if they work for you in Ubuntu Hardy/Intrepid 32-bit/64-bit. If you don't feel like installing a new package, all I did was add a script to stop pulseaudio, launch pSX, then start pulseaudio once pSX is done running. Rather simple solution that I should have thought of back when Hardy was released, thanks for the help everyone!

Here's the content of the script:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # A script to disable pulseaudio, run pSX, then renable pulseaudio

gksu /etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop
    sleep 1
    gksu killall pulseaudio         # Forcefully ends pulseaudio if still running
    sleep 1
    exec /usr/local/games/psx/pSX
    sleep 1
    gksu /etc/init.d/pulseaudio start
    Will be updating the repository and the front page ASAP, thanks a lot everyone!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dfreer; November 8th, 2008 at 02:17 AM.

Beans

Last package, can only upload 5 at a time
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Okay I just tried your packages dfreer...

The emu runs better than pcsx on my macbook 3,1 running intrepid 64 bit.
    Audio is glitchy and cutscene video has some probs but overall better performance than pcsx

Looking foward to any more improvements...

EDIT: I forgot to add it does not work well with compiz running
    okay apple replaced my topcase...
    Now if they'll fix the bottom case cracks...
    Faith partially restored

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emptiness View Post
    Okay I just tried your packages dfreer...

The emu runs better than pcsx on my macbook 3,1 running intrepid 64 bit.
    Audio is glitchy and cutscene video has some probs but overall better performance than pcsx

Looking foward to any more improvements...

EDIT: I forgot to add it does not work well with compiz running
    The problem I'm attempting to workaround is that pSX will not start up at all, so if it actually runs for you then that is a success. If you wish, you could also add the following to the script to disable/renable compiz:
    Code:
    metacity --replace &

compiz --replace &
    Note that as I merely repackage the official binary, I can't actually improve the emulator itself. Thanks for testing!

EDIT: You could also try increasing the latency in the Audio configuration by a couple ms to see if that helps with the audio "glitchiness". I'd say no more than 10 ms to each slider, but I'm not really an expert.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

hey im running 64-bit interpeid and tried all your packages for amd64 itrepid, but i get a box with this read out
    /tmp/lib32gtkglext1_1.2.0-3.2_intrepid-amd64-2.deb could not be opened, because the associated helper application does not exist. Change the association in your preferences.

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast