Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans

How-To: install pSX on AMD64/i386

Version 1.13, along with some new changes! Also check out Ultima's pSX frontend!
    F.A.Q.
    • What is pSX? - Originally a windows Playstation 1 Emulator, it has recently been ported over to linux. The website can be found at http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/ Please note that I did not create this software, only this how-to
    • Is pSX open-source? - No. It is free to use as in free beer, but pSX author has prefered to not open up the source code. I simply repackage the executable, which also means that as long as you install the correct libraries, you don't even need to use my package. I just provide them for ease of use.
    • Ok, so why should I use this instead of ePSXe, pcsx, etc? - pSX has all plugins built into the emulator, so there is no need to find plugin's and configure them. Also, I was experiencing low framerates when using ePSXe (one of the best Playstation emulators for i386 IMO) on my AMD64 system, so I looked around for an alternative. Works great on both systems!
    • Can I play PS2 games on this emulator? - Although it does have an option to load a PS2 BIOS in the configuration, the bottom line is you can't. You can check the official pSX forums for exactly what you can accomplish PS2 wise, in the meantime check out PCSX2.
    • Why don't you include these packages in the official Debian/Ubuntu repositories? - Short answer: I do not want to. There are several reasons for this, but the main thing is pSX is not quite up to par with debian/ubuntu package requirements, and I'm not nearly adept at actually making the debian packages, I hack mine together using sudo dpkg -b foldername filename.deb which is pretty much on par with using checkinstall. EDIT: pSX as of version 1.13 has been changed to conform more to linux guidelines. It may very well be possible to include pSX in the non-free repository, although ATM I am not interested in dealing with that mess. Anyone who wishes to do so has my full support.
    • pSX refuses to accept controller input, wtf? - Make sure you are using controller type SCPH-1010, and see if that fixes the problem. Dual-shock SCPH-1200 works AFAICT in games that *support* it, games that don't will often refuse to accept the controller input. Also, SCPH-1150 does not appear to work at all from my limited testing.
    • I use Nvidia, and when I run psx32 in terminal I get a segmentation fault. What should I do? - This as been reported to happen occasionally http://psxemulator.proboards54.com/i...ead=1187624682
      One bit of advise is to make sure you are running the latest nvidia drivers. If this still doesn't solve the problem, you may need to check with the psx forums for further answers. One good thing about pSX is that there have been 3 new versions just in the last year or so, all of which actively fix bugs and add features.
    • pSX, mupen64, and/or ZSNES segfault and I can't figure out why! - rcsdnj reports that the "Data execute prevention" on x86_64 processors may be the cause of a segmentation fault. I haven't tried this myself, so proceed with caution:
      Quote Originally Posted by rcsdnj View Post
      To stop , I first did it by going to the BIOS and disabled the "XD Technology" option. Since I didn't want to disable it globally, I looked for a way to disable and I found this:

- install prelink package ( sudo aptitude install prelink - I'm not sure about the package name, I'm not in my Ubuntu machine right now)

- run the executable you want to disable the XD technology by using:

execstack -s program_name

I'm not saying this is the solution for the problem, but it's maybe a good test.
    • I'm having XYZ problem with the emulator... - In general, almost all problems people have been having have to do with the way I packaged the files, and not the emulator itself. This includes memory cards not saving information, the emulator asks for the location to the BIOS each time, screenshots not saving at all, etc. The following method will solve these problems almost everytime (be sure to BACKUP all of your saved games somewhere before you follow this method!!!!):
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -p psx # 32-bit users only
      sudo dpkg -p psx32 # 64-bit users only
      sudo rm -Rv /usr/local/games/psx/ # 32-bit users only
      sudo rm -Rv /usr/local/games/psx32/ # 64-bit users only
      sudo apt-get clean
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install psx # 32-bit users only
      sudo apt-get install psx32 # 64-bit users only

Installation Instructions
    Copy the following into Applications > Accessories > Terminal:
    Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" AMD64 & i386:
    Code:
    echo "deb http://packages.dfreer.org gutsy main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    wget http://packages.dfreer.org/7572013D.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty" AMD64 & i386:
    Code:
    echo "deb http://packages.dfreer.org feisty main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
    wget http://packages.dfreer.org/7572013D.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    All AMD64 Users:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install psx32
    sudo apt-get install psx32frontend
    All i386 Users:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install psx
    sudo apt-get install psxfrontend
    How to uninstall
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove psx #32-bit users only
    sudo apt-get remove psx32 #64-bit users only

(OLD) AMD64 Manual How to Install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-sdl ia32-libs-gtk
    cd ~/
    wget -c http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gtkglext/libgtkglext1_1.0.6-2.1ubuntu1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -x libgtkglext1_1.0.6-2.1ubuntu1_i386.deb libgtkglext
    sudo mv -v libgtkglext/usr/lib/* /usr/lib32/
    sudo rm -Rv libgtkglext
    sudo rm -v libgtkglext1_1.0.6-2.1ubuntu1_i386.deb
    wget -c http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/pSX_linux_1_11.tar.bz2
    tar xvf pSX_linux_1_11.tar.bz2
    sudo rm -v pSX_linux_1_11.tar.bz2
    cd pSX/
    ./pSX
    How-to uninstall pSX (AND the 32-bit libraries):
    Code:
    sudo rm -Rv ~/pSX
    sudo rm -v /usr/lib32/libgtkglext*
    sudo rm -v /usr/lib32/libgdkglext*
    sudo apt-get remove ia32-libs ia32-libs-sdl ia32-libs-gtk
    Let me know if you have any problems!!
    Last edited by dfreer; May 9th, 2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: cleaned up how-to

Beans

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

You sir, are my hero.

Installed ubuntu for the first time saturday after years of not using linux. Tried every tutorial I could find on getting pcsx and the other to work, neither would. Tried downloading pSX from their site and running it. After apt-getting 300+ megs of random gtk files it still wouldn't run.. that is until I happened upon this.

I can finally 100% do away with windows. Thanks again bro.

Beans

You're welcome! At least I helped somebody out
    I actually like ePSXe (not pcsx too much, the GUI left much to be desired IMO), but getting all the plugins for it is a pain, and then configuring the video to run decently...
    As far as I have tested, haven't had any problems running any game on pSX (only tested on around 10-20 games). Let me know if you have any problems!

Beans

Well, to make things easier I created two .deb files, one to install the 32-bit libgtkglext libraries, and the other to install pSX itself. I will include the links in the how-to above, and any help in testing the *.debs would be much appreciated!

Beans

I have now included a i386 .deb for anyone who wants to try pSX. I added a changes.txt to the website, so now I will keep the website up-to-date with changes and just keep the links and install instructions here updated as needed.

Beans

God i love you mate!
    Finaly i can play my FFTactics again xD (my psx is so old it no longers loads my games *cries*)
    Still having my shelf full off ps1 games i felt it such a waste!

And all the PCSX and ePSXe never worked for me on my Ubuntu Edgy 64 AMD64 DCore >_<
    Then you show up like a knight in shining dark armor and saves my games! weee! thanks!

Regards from RobinOfSweden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

sweet howto!
    i'm playing dragon warrior 7 as i type this. thanks alot man.

Beans

final fantasy tactics = awesome.
    I'll have a new version out soon, should let you keep your conf files so that if you uninstall you don't lose all your settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    final fantasy tactics = awesome.
    I'll have a new version out soon, should let you keep your conf files so that if you uninstall you don't lose all your settings.
    i'm reaching the end of my rope trying to get epsxe to work in x64 feisty so i'll keep an eye on this thread for your new version. thanks!

Beans

Well, today is my birthday. So I decided to give you guys a birthday present. my 1.2 release of pSX 1.11 is now available to download. I'll update the how-to above, but it should be fairly simple to install. Fixed A LOT of things, so make sure you download it!

Note: make sure to backup any and all save files (memory cards, save states, configuration files, etc) BEFORE you uninstall. I should have things fixed now, but for awhile there it was deleting the memory cards on each uninstall

Please, let the creator of pSX know if you like this emulator. Only saying this so that credit is given where it's due (I just repackage the program ). http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/
    Last edited by dfreer; April 25th, 2007 at 07:42 AM.

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast