Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by bluemech View Post
    So dfreer, tested dualshock mode on pSX yet?
    Thanks for reminding me, so often I get caught up in other projects I forgot to do stuff I said I'd do
    So here's my results:

Short Version
    The logitech dual action controller works perfectly in linux, however pSX controller mode SCPH-1150 appears broken, and SCPH-1200 works in games that support Dual Shock (I tested Star Ocean). However, games that do not support dual shock will refuse to accept ANY input (I believe the original Playstation would do this as well).

Long Version:
    Code:
     First, for those of you who don't know, the logitech dual action USB controller looks almost identical to a Standard PS2 Controller/Playstation dual shock, 
    although it does not have any rumble capabilities. There is 1 extra button located just below where the <select> button on a PS2 controller is, 
    this serves to "switch" the axes on the controller, actually making the left joystick map to the same axes as the left Dpad, and vive versa 
    (note the right joypad is not affected in any way).

I first tested the controller in ZSNES just to make sure it is fully compatible with linux, and it passed with flying colors. 
    Each and every button/axes is recognized, down to pushing the joysticks "in" similiar to Playstations L3/R3 buttions. 
    I can use that special button to switch between the axes mid game play, and play SNES games using just the axes themselves. 

Now to pSX. In the configuration, pSX detected the controller correctly, and I was able to map every key on the joystick to it's appropriate function. 
    The regular SCPH-1010 works just fine in with the standard keys mapped. I then tried mapping the joysticks to the regular keypad presses 
    (right joystick UP = Triangle, left joystick DOWN = Left D-pad DOWN etc), and it worked beautifully, along with using the "Special" key to switch axes.

When switching to SCPH-1150 Analog+Rumble, I can no longer see a cursor in the BIOS menu and can't select anything :( Furthermore, 
    on the games I tested with (Breath of Fire 3 and Star Ocean), I was unable to get either game to recognize input. It appears that this particular controller is "broken" in pSX...

Finally, I tried the SCPH-1200 Dual Shock mode. It works perfectly in Star Ocean, using the left joystick to control running and the D-pad controls walking speed, 
    which is normal behaviour. Too bad I don't have a game that REALLY uses the dual shock functions (right joystick and L3/R3), 
    there aren't too many regular playstation games that require it (That monkey game would've been a great test :D ). However, 
    Breath of Fire 3 refused to accept input from this mode as well. I'm pretty sure this is due to BOF3 not supporting dual shock controllers, 
    although without the game case (my sister at college stole it :( ), it's hard to tell.

Beans

I would change the script to this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/local/games/psx32/pSX "$@"
    It just spits back out all the command line options you give it to pSX. Run psx32 -h to get a list of commandline switches. Note that you need to pass the full path of an image or drive in order for pSX to open it properly, this is a limitation of pSX, not the script.

I can see there's really no way this program would be allowed in either Debian or Ubuntu any time in the near future, with its one-folder approach requiring config files in the same directory as the executable, and the problems with permissions and multiple users that causes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by misterflibble View Post
    I would change the script to this:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/local/games/psx32/pSX "$@"
    It just spits back out all the command line options you give it to pSX. Run psx32 -h to get a list of commandline switches. Note that you need to pass the full path of an image or drive in order for pSX to open it properly, this is a limitation of pSX, not the script.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I hope to get a new version out soon (the x86 packages really need updated as well), and it will have this fix incorporated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    Thanks for reminding me, so often I get caught up in other projects I forgot to do stuff I said I'd do
    So here's my results:

Short Version
    The logitech dual action controller works perfectly in linux, however pSX controller mode SCPH-1150 appears broken, and SCPH-1200 works in games that support Dual Shock (I tested Star Ocean). However, games that do not support dual shock will refuse to accept ANY input (I believe the original Playstation would do this as well).

Long Version
    You rock my good sir. That really cleared some things up. It seems, however, that you have a bit of a different Logitech controller than mine, as I don't have the switch mode button you described. That must be what's keeping me from being able to use dualshock mode (even in the PS BIOS I don't get the cursor for SCPH-1200).

I will have to find my copy of Star Ocean to see if that works for me. For now though, I guess my workaround of using the analog sticks in place of the digital pad will work fine. Haven't run into any problems playing FF Tactics, Symphony of the Night and Vagrant Story so far.

Beans

Ah, doing a little google image searching pops up a bunch of pictures like this:

However, this picture is identical to the one I have:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Heads up! v1.12 is here!

http://psxemulator.proboards54.com/i...ead=1185147621

Found it while I was looking for a fix for that darned CD image load bug.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bluemech View Post
    Heads up! v1.12 is here!

http://psxemulator.proboards54.com/i...ead=1185147621

Found it while I was looking for a fix for that darned CD image load bug.
    w00t! Thanks for letting me know, I'll get right on it!

EDIT: changelog (fixes I'm particularly interested in are highlighted in bold)
    v1.12 Fixed crash on startup with -f command line option
    Fixed SPU bug that caused FF8 FMV audio to stop sometimes
    Fixed bug that prevented some keys being mapped to controllers
    Fixed bug where window size/position was reset when using fast forward
    Added support for Alcohol 120% MDF/MDS images
    Fake subcode in track gaps (required for TombRaider1)
    Fixed Syphon Filter boot hang
    Fixed infinite loop in Tekken3 and Deception3
    Changed 384 mode to 364 which seems to be correct (based on TombRaider)
    Fixed aspect ratio correction for 5:4

EDIT: Ok, I have an AMD64 package of pSX32 ready for public testing. I'm going to place it in the testing repository, that way it won't be pushed onto regular users until I know for sure it works. The main thing here is:
    (1) will the new version overwrite existing psx.ini config file?
    (2) will the new version delete old save files/memory cards/screenshots/bios/etc.
    To add the testing repo:
    Edit the line in your /etc/apt/sources.list from this:
    Code:
    deb http://packages.dfreer.org feisty main
    to this:
    Code:
    deb http://packages.dfreer.org feisty testing
    anyways, you can either add the testing repository, or download the 1.12 AMD64 .deb here:
    http://packages.dfreer.org/pool/feis...-0.5_amd64.deb

Lemme know if there are any issues updating, specifically using apt-get upgrade. I'm going to get to work on the i386 release, and hopefully we can get both versions into the main repo soon.
    MORE EDITING: i386 package is also in the testing repo, you can find it manually here:
    http://packages.dfreer.org/pool/feis...2-0.5_i386.deb
    Last edited by dfreer; July 23rd, 2007 at 06:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    Ok, I have an AMD64 package of pSX32 ready for public testing.

anyways, you can either add the testing repository, or download the 1.12 AMD64 .deb here:
    http://packages.dfreer.org/pool/feis...-0.5_amd64.deb
    Well that was fast, haha.

I tried grabbing the archive yesterday from the site, and it seems that the only thing that has changed is the executable itself. Will just copying that executable into the old pSX directory work as well, since it contains all the plugins already anyway?

Beans

well, there are no plugins for pSX, one of the beauties of it. Yes, just copying the executable will work, make sure it has 755 permissions otherwise it won't want to run.

And you can use the old savestates/memory cards/BIOS/config file with the new version, so just dropping the new executable in *should* work just fine (it may prevent future upgrades using my repository though, because the file was manually changed).

The new debian package simply incorporated a few other fixes I had been meaning to get to:
    • Updated the script in /usr/bin, so that you can pass commandline arguments (thanks misterflibble!)
    • Caught the i386 package up to the AMD64 package (i386 was missing several things)
    • Ensured that the permissions on all of the needed files/folders are set correctly

I believe I will have 1.12 out in the main repository tonight anyways. A simply apt-get update/upgrade will grab it for you then Hopefully my ramblings made sense lol

Beans

thanks for making the packages, Im having abit of trouble running it tho:

(pSX:24736): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(pSX:24736): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(pSX:24736): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(pSX:24736): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(pSX:24736): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

this is on an otherwise fully functioning Ubuntu 7.04 32bit machine with latest nvidia drivers (ut2k4 runs fine). I get to select a bios image, then it exits with the seg fault above.

Any ideas what to try, am I missing some package?

Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast