Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

thanks alot hopefully i can try it out this weekend.

Beans
    Distro

i had to run some of the commands as sudo (was getting write permission denied with wget for your packages)
    and it did not actually remove my folders for bios/memcards/etc

but i just did a real quick test and i got the boot screen from the Metal Slug X disc image, and it saved my two preferences that i set (sound card selection and bios file)

so bravo! thanks alot for your hard work, this is great. now to go get a gamepad!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eponymous View Post
    i had to run some of the commands as sudo (was getting write permission denied with wget for your packages)
    That's probably due to you running the command from a folder you do not have write permission to [e.g. /usr/local/games or something). Most users start terminal in their home folder, which is writable, so a regular wget *should* work. Either way, it makes no difference since you have to be root anyways to install the package.

and it did not actually remove my folders for bios/memcards/etc
    hmmm. dunno why it wouldn't, unless the folders weren't empty? i dunno, but it shouldn't be anything to be concerned about.

but i just did a real quick test and i got the boot screen from the Metal Slug X disc image, and it saved my two preferences that i set (sound card selection and bios file) so bravo! thanks alot for your hard work, this is great. now to go get a gamepad!
    Awesome unless there is anything major that crops up, there should be only one more release (2.0 I should think). In that release I'll make a custom psx.png file (since the one it's currently using I found on google ), and create symbolic links in /usr/bin so that you can run pSX from the commandline simply by typing "pSX". But don't expect release 2.0 for awhile, I've got tons of other stuff to work on too lol.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eddyr View Post
    Hey, nice How-To

i'm having problems when i run pSX

"./pSX: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I tried entering some of the commands for the i386 and i'm getting errors?
    eddyr, did you ever get it working?

Beans

I think I'm missing something. I want to play ps2 games on my LCD monitor but I can't find any sort of device that converts the tv-out on the box to 15-pin VGA. So, I thought I'd try this emulator. I assumed it would be a case of installing your goodies then slapping in a PS2 game disk into a drive. Instead, I run .psx and get:

"This emulator requires a BIOS image which must be installed in the bios folder."

Then a file browser appears with 'scph1001.bin' listed.

What gives? This isn't something ridiculous like digging a hardware component out of the console I hope.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by geokker View Post
    I assumed it would be a case of installing your goodies then slapping in a PS2 game disk into a drive.
    pSX is a PlayStation emulator, not a PlayStation 2 emulator (yet?).

"This emulator requires a BIOS image which must be installed in the bios folder."
    What gives? This isn't something ridiculous like digging a hardware component out of the console I hope.
    More or less, yes. You can dig up instruction on how to produce a BIOS image, or you can hunt down an image on the Web. They're not that hard to come by, but they are illegal to distribute since the BIOS is copyrighted software. That's just how it is, unfortunately. All free PlayStation emulators are like this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    eddyr, did you ever get it working?

Yes it works perfectly now on my 32bit machine thanks!

One question tho, will this emulator allow you to swap disc( cd image ) when playing games which have 2 or more cds?
    Last edited by eddyr; April 29th, 2007 at 06:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eddyr View Post
    Yes it works perfectly now on my 32bit machine thanks!

One question tho, will this emulator allow you to swap disc( cd image ) when playing games which have 2 or more cds?
    hmmm... good question!! I have yet to get far enough in my multi-disc games to try it out... ummm I guess the easiest test would be to break out Riven for PSX, since each disc was a world and you could teleport between worlds fairly quickly in the game. Lemme get back to you after I find my Riven game and a Skip Dr .

I assume it would support it. at very least if it doesn't you could save state when the dialog tells you to insert a game disc, power off pSX, insert disc 2, load state and hit "ok". That *should* work, although I'm just guessing here.

Quote Originally Posted by geokker View Post
    I think I'm missing something. I want to play ps2 games on my LCD monitor but I can't find any sort of device that converts the tv-out on the box to 15-pin VGA. So, I thought I'd try this emulator. I assumed it would be a case of installing your goodies then slapping in a PS2 game disk into a drive. Instead, I run .psx and get:

Then a file browser appears with 'scph1001.bin' listed.

scph1001.bin is the BIOS for the original playstation, often-times referred to as PSX (not to be confused with PSOne). You are on your own on how to obtain one, as it is quite illegal here in the US (dunno about other countries but even so, like living in another country has stopped the US from busting in doors and taking your **** before). Remember, google is your friend. Also, I know the xbox had a cord to connect it to a VGA monitor, but once again I dunno about the PS2, try google. Once you have that BIOS, it pretty much is a "case of installing my goodies and slapping in a PS1 game disk (or image)".

I asked the pSX author about this awhile ago, here's his response regarding the option to load a PS2 bios in the configuration:
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    Ok, sounds good. I'll try to get the howto up in about a week, I want to try
    installing it on a vanilla AMD64 install to make sure it works. Also, I'll
    probably add an entry to ubuntuforums.org, it seemed like some other people
    were having problems with getting an Playstation emulator working. It isn't
    too hard at all to install.
    BTW, I noticed that in the configuration you can point to a Playstation 2
    bios, but I couldn't seem to get it to work at all. Is there PS2 support in
    pSX?
    Quote Originally Posted by psx_author
    It does have PS2 support but it doesn't run any games yet...
    Short and sweet. Hopefully PS2 will be supported in future versions.
    Last edited by dfreer; April 29th, 2007 at 09:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

if you own a ps2 and want to play through your computer monitor the easiest way (which in linux isn't easy at all) is to get a TV tuner and run your ps2 through that, until there's a working emulator for ps2 games.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    hmmm... good question!! I have yet to get far enough in my multi-disc games to try it out... ummm I guess the easiest test would be to break out Riven for PSX, since each disc was a world and you could teleport between worlds fairly quickly in the game. Lemme get back to you after I find my Riven game and a Skip Dr .
    I inserted disc 2 in just so it prompts me for disc 1 ( haven't completed disc 1) and have yet to make a successful image swap.

just curious.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast