Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by skroops View Post
    I found a guide for this at the pSX forums, courtesy of andrebait. It works great and in my opinion much simpler than dfreer's guide (still props to dfreer for his method). I'll copy and paste it here for anyone else who tries to get this working.

[quoted from andrebait at http://psxemulator.proboards54.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=feedback&thread=120 2&page=1]

"Making distribution specifica packages is great, but I like the "generic" way ^^'
    I mean... generic if you use Debian based distros...

Well...
    My way is:

- Download pSX 1.13 from the website
    - Extract anywhere
    - Install getlibs. It's a program written specifically to those who use x86-64 linux and face incompatibility due to the lack of 32-bit libraries. You can use it in many ways (read in this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=474790 ).

My preferred way it to use it to autodetect the libraries needed and install them automatically.
    So... save the file anywhere and install getlibs
    Code:
    cd /home/user/
    tar jxf pSX_linux_1_13.tar.bz2
    A folder named pSX will be created, so...
    Code:
    cd pSX
    getlibs pSX
    It will find any 32-bit libraries pSX needs and are not present and install them. It'll ask you for the sudo password too.

After that, just run pSX "

I like the idea of getlibs, it seems like a well written script that does it's job. I really need to play around with it, the only things I'd be concerned about would be:

Does it track what changes it makes to the system and offer a way to undo changes?
    Does it correctly deal with libraries that rely on other packages? Can't remember any off the top of my head, but I know I dealt with a few before.

But to each his own... I really hate being down for so long, there's nothing wrong with the actual website/server/domain name itself. Basically I just need to finish up with the webhop, offering access via the original port 80 and port 8080, and fix the virtual name server part of apache.

Some clever people may be able to actually download packages, more power to you! And of course Hardy packages are coming soon as well!

Beans

what's the current status of this? the first post seems to have been updated some time in feb! Well how does one install this on 64bit hardy? thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Is this working for Hardy Heron? I'm having problems installing and am not sure if that's why.
    cigarettes and chocolate milk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Haha whoops didn't read your post. You asked pretty much the same thing.

Well I installed it using getlibs and as soon as I told it where my bios was located, it started up VERY choppy. So much that I could harldy stand waiting through the startup screen. Now it is stuck on the logo only it's all black, with the SONY in blue letters. Weird, huh? Also it's noticably slowing my computer to where everything I'm typing is a little lagged.

pcsx seems to run fine, though. Other than I haven't figured out how to work the menu and it won't find any video drivers but the one it was downloaded with (from repos).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok sorry about posting again.. but I downloaded dfreer's amd64 package for pSX, and installed lib32gtk just fine. Now when I try to open the psx32 deb included it says that I need lib32rsvg2-2 and when i run a google I cannot find anything on that file.

Hmm...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drunkmatador View Post
    Ok sorry about posting again.. but I downloaded dfreer's amd64 package for pSX, and installed lib32gtk just fine. Now when I try to open the psx32 deb included it says that I need lib32rsvg2-2 and when i run a google I cannot find anything on that file.

Hmm...
    I've attached those .deb files in my post, hopefully that's all you need. Currently I've been working on the zsnes solution

BTW, choppy BIOS loading screen is often because you don't have your 3D acceleration working for your video card. Try running glxgears and see what kind of FPS you get, and make sure that glxgears --info reports that 3D rendering is turned on.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

When attempting to install lib32rsvg2-common I get:

mozzles@mozzles-laptop:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i lib32rsvg2-common_2.18.2-3.0_gutsy-amd64.deb
    (Reading database ... 137890 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking lib32rsvg2-common (from lib32rsvg2-common_2.18.2-3.0_gutsy-amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing lib32rsvg2-common_2.18.2-3.0_gutsy-amd64.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib32/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/loader-files.d/librsvg2-common.loaders', which is also in package ia32-libs
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    lib32rsvg2-common_2.18.2-3.0_gutsy-amd64.deb

I got a program that will let me install 32 bit programs on my x64 but I can't remember what it's called now. It'd be convenient if there's somewhere I can find out what packages I've added recently, through apt-get and synaptic both. Know of a thing?
    Last edited by drunkmatador; May 8th, 2008 at 12:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok so.. I ran pSX again and it ran fine now. Maybe just needed a restart from messing with things.. I actually didn't get my video card fully configured until sometime yesterday so I might not have tried afterwards.. haha.

Well I'm glad to have it working again but a couple questions.. are pcsx save state files or memory card files compatible with pSX? My girlfriend and I started a game on FF7 last night and don't really want to start it over but this emulator runs much smoother.

Wonder if I should find out what's up with those packages anyways? Could be a bug.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drunkmatador View Post
    Ok so.. I ran pSX again and it ran fine now. Maybe just needed a restart from messing with things.. I actually didn't get my video card fully configured until sometime yesterday so I might not have tried afterwards.. haha.

Well I'm glad to have it working again but a couple questions.. are pcsx save state files or memory card files compatible with pSX? My girlfriend and I started a game on FF7 last night and don't really want to start it over but this emulator runs much smoother.

Wonder if I should find out what's up with those packages anyways? Could be a bug.
    The reason for the file conflict is that the pSX package you installed was developed for Gutsy, not Hardy. pSX required several 32-bit libraries to be installed which simply were not available as 64-bit packages from the main ubuntu repos. So I repackaged the 32-bit libs, packaged the 32-bit psx, and everyone's happy. To make sure things ran smoothly from my repo, I made pSX depend on my specific 32-bit library packages so that they would get installed when psx was installed.

Now, in Hardy, they have taken ia32-libs and placed a WHOLE ton of new 32-bit libraries, including several that I had already repackaged. When you tried to use my pSX gutsy package, it complained about not having my 32-bit libs installed, whether they were installed with ia32-libs or not.

I can't remember what the solution for transfering saved games from different emulators was, you may want to check with the official pSX forums for that issue. I do believe that all the pSX emulators save memory cards in the same way (the *.bin files), so they should be compatible (make backups first!!!).

Try creating a new memory card in pSX, load the old pcsx memory card into slot 1 and the new pSX memory card in slot 2 and load the pSX BIOS up (without a game inserted). If you can see the contents of the old pcsx card, try copying the saved games from the old to the new and just use it. As long as you use a copy of the original pcsx card, who cares if you accidently corrupt it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you very much.. It sounds like you went through a bit of work to get it all set up for us x64 users, and it runs great so good job. How is zsnes coming along? I'd offer to help but I don't know anything about coding yet.

Oh and I got the memory card issue solved.. just had to point pSX to the files that I used in pcsx and they work fine.

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast