Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the two Firefox's in the backports

Beans

Question about the two Firefox's in the backports

I see that there are two firefox packages, mozilla-firefox and firefox. What is the difference?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Question about the two Firefox's in the backports

Due to Mozilla's trademark restrictions, Breezy had to rename their Firefox packages from "mozilla-firefox" to just "firefox".

The "firefox" package actually contains Firefox, while the "mozilla-firefox-*" packages are just dummy placeholders to preserve compatibility with Hoary.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

That's strange then...I installed the package called "firefox" and in the process "mozilla-firefox" was removed, but not replaced by a newer one.

Did I screw-up the upgrade?

Beans

Actually the newest "mozilla-firefox" package I see is 1.0.4~5.04ubp1+1.0.2-0ubuntu1.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Don't worry. The new mozilla-firefox dummy is only installed when another package calls for it.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Cool...but why doesn't it show up in Synaptic when I do a search for firefox?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyAWS
    Cool...but why doesn't it show up in Synaptic when I do a search for firefox?
    Uhhhh, because mozilla-firefox has the string "firefox" in it? I think you are confused. Dummy packages are there to look like regular packages except that they are empty. They are used to ease transition. That's why they are called dummy packages. Sort of like a crash test dummy! (okay, maybe not)
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AgenT
    Uhhhh, because mozilla-firefox has the string "firefox" in it?
    Guess you misread his question. He said it does NOT show up when searching for "firefox".

The problem seems to be that there are no transition packages listed in Packages(.gz). Therefore apt does not know about them and the transition fails.
    Just take a look at http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.ne...86/Packages.gz yourself. The packages are in the directory but not in the list. Perhaps a generation script is stumbling over the architecture "all" of those packages?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by BudBrain
    Guess you misread his question.
    Ooops.
    STOP!
    Before you sign up to Dropbox, click here to read my post showing you how to get an additional 500mb free! That's 2.5GB of free space!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BudBrain
    Guess you misread his question. He said it does NOT show up when searching for "firefox".

The problem seems to be that there are no transition packages listed in Packages(.gz). Therefore apt does not know about them and the transition fails.
    Just take a look at http://ubuntu-backports.mirrormax.ne...86/Packages.gz yourself. The packages are in the directory but not in the list. Perhaps a generation script is stumbling over the architecture "all" of those packages?
    Package: firefox
    Version: 1.0.4-1ubuntu2~5.04ubp2
    Priority: optional
    Section: web
    Maintainer: Eric Dorland <eric@debian.org>
    Depends: fontconfig, psmisc, debianutils (>= 1.16), libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.16), libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.9.0), libbonobo2-0 (>= 2.8.0), libbonoboui2-0 (>= 2.5.4), libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4), libcairo1 (>= 0.3.0), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.2.1), libfreetype6 (>= 2.1.5-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.0-7), libgconf2-4 (>= 2.9), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.6.0), libgnome2-0 (>= 2.8.0), libgnomecanvas2-0 (>= 2.6.0), libgnomeui-0 (>= 2.8.0), libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 2.9.90), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.6.0), libice6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libidl0, libjpeg62, libkrb53 (>= 1.3.2), liborbit2 (>= 1:2.12.0), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.8.1), libpixman1 (>= 0.1.3), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.8rel), libpopt0 (>= 1.7), libsm6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.0-7), libx11-6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libxft2 (>> 2.1.1), libxinerama1, libxml2 (>= 2.6.17), libxrender1, libxt6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)
    Suggests: firefox-gnome-support (= 1.0.4-1ubuntu2~5.04ubp2), latex-xft-fonts, xprint
    Conflicts: mozilla-firefox (<< 1.0.4)
    Provides: www-browser, ***mozilla-firefox***
    Replaces: mozilla-firefox (<< 1.0.4)
    Architecture: i386
    Filename: dists/hoary-backports/main/binary-i386/firefox_1.0.4-1ubuntu2~5.04ubp2_i386.deb
    Size: 8545466
    MD5sum: 6d08c8b1c87e06114b1f8952067db1cd
    Description: lightweight web browser based on Mozilla
    Firefox is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component, similar to
    Galeon, K-Meleon and Camino, but written using the XUL user interface
    language and designed to be lightweight and cross-platform.
    This browser was previously known as Firebird and Phoenix.
    installed-size: 24300
    mozilla-firefox is a provided virtual package

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast