Re: LaTeX page numbering

Found this thread which gives a solution

http://lists.debian.org/debian-tetex.../msg00122.html

Basically insert \thispagestyle{empty} after the \maketitle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wow, it does work, indeed. Thank you very much!

Beans
    Distro

As Josephus has told me below, it gets solved by adding "\thispagestyle{empty}" after "\maketitle".

Beans
    Distro

As josephus has told me below, it gets solved by adding "\thispagestyle{empty}" after "\maketitle".

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just tried it out this morning and it does work! Great tip, thanks josephus!

Beans

Code:
    \documentclass[a4paper]{report}
    \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
    \usepackage[spanish]{babel}
    \usepackage{url}
    \pagestyle{empty}

\title{Documentación sobre DHCP}
    \author{Me}

\begin{document}
    \maketitle
    \thispagestyle{empty}
    \tableofcontents
    \thispagestyle{empty}

\chapter{Antecedentes}
    \section{ARP}
    \textit{Address Resolution Protocol} es el protocolo utilizado para encontrar la dirección del nivel de enlace, generalmente la dirección MAC, de un equipo cuando solo se conoce su dirección IP u otra dirección \end{document}
    I still get a page number on every page after the first two pages. Is this a bug in latex?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I still get a page number on every page after the first two pages. Is this a bug in latex?
    It seems that also the "chapter" command also makes the page numbers appear. See this link for some solutions http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=nopageno.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NikoC View Post
    I was looking for arguments for the \maketitle command, but no luck so far... it appears that the package uses \pagestyle to generate the pagenumber...
    No, LaTeX's default is to number all pages. Adding \pagestyle{empty} in the preamble (before \begin{document}) turns this off for the whole document. Adding it elsewhere in the document turns the page number off from that point onwards. But in both cases it may get reset by some other command: some packages may turn it on after a new \chapter, for example, and \maketitle invokes \thispagestyle{plain}, which includes a page number.

You also put the \title, \author, and \date commands in the preamble. They will work here, but it's more normal nowadays to put them immediately after \begin{document}.

In either case, no titling will appear unless you use \maketitle. Until you do, the title, author, and date are simply memorised and not displayed, because many document packages require other commands to make titling work (eg \submissiondate, \subtitle, \journalname, etc).

The point about \maketitle is that in the article document class it applies \thispagestyle{plain}, and this is what is causing the page number to appear. If you add \thispagestyle{empty} after your \maketitle, the page number goes away *for that page*.

///Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12