Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ive got me a PS3!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Ive got me a PS3!!!!!!

cannonical should consider in making a dedicated ps3 or cell ubuntu development team. i heard guys in the psubuntu is just using the compatible 64bit powerpc for mac ubuntu version.
    They can have the Desktop, Linux will have the World.
    Proof is in here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Those prices are insane! Canada, I paid $499 for the 80gig, Canadian dollar is worth more than the american which is great news for us!
    "I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kopinux View Post
    cannonical should consider in making a dedicated ps3 or cell ubuntu development team. i heard guys in the psubuntu is just using the compatible 64bit powerpc for mac ubuntu version.
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/7.10/release/

Well being that the PS3 is a 64bit PowerPC derivative, what do you expect it to run? Support for the cell processor is in the Linux kernel, and is already there, since almost a year ago.

To take advantage of the mega power of the PS3 a program would have to be specially coded for the PS3, on an individual basis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i think the ps3 version fixed only the booting.
    but the wireless, and sixaxis controller still does not come out of the box which is important of course,

the advantage of it though is, program for one ps3 and works on the rest million of ps3. not the same case with pc hardware.

the yellow dog linux is the official and has breakthrough development, but i wonder why a lot of ps3 users in ps3 forums still go for the powerpc ubuntu.
    They can have the Desktop, Linux will have the World.
    Proof is in here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I also own a PS3. I purchased the 80GB model over 3 weeks ago. How I justified the $500.00 price tag of my PS3. I have a 42" plasma TV that was not seeing its full potential with a standard definition DVD player attached to it. Good Blue-Ray DVD players are still about $400.00. And I still like to game. Upgrading my pc to play current games would cost over $800.00. And the Xbox 360 was not an option since it is an unreliable piece of crap and louder than hell. My brother alone has had 3 Xbox 360's fail on him.

As I see it, for my needs, I could not go wrong with the $500.00 purchase of my PS3. I get a relatively quite Blue-Ray player, modern gaming system, and on top of that, with my current installation of Gutsy on my PS3, I have a full featured PC. My total investment to date with my wireless keyboard and mouse is under $560.00.

It really comes down to what the users needs are and not what people think the better game console is.
    Apple ibook 12" 1.33GHz PPC G4, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon Mobility 9550 running Ubuntu Feisty + Beryl.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by tcrroadie View Post
    Upgrading my pc to play current games would cost over $800.00.
    And how long till it would require another major upgrade to run the next lot of new games?

Nowhere near as long as the PS3 will stay current for I bet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Here is Britain, the PS3 costs about $320. In all countries, it would cost much less if not for all the useless features, if it would only focus on what matters, gaming.

Alternative to being cheaper, it could focus on gaming much more and have better hardware for games (more power, anyone?), and still be the same price as it is now, thus greaten the consoles actual value of price.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345