Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XRDP working with GNOME - howto (HACK)

Beans

Re: XRDP working with GNOME - howto (HACK)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG187 View Post
    Is this method faster than VNC?
    From what I've seen, RDP runs a heck of alot faster on both Linux and Win machines than VNC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

It does run very fast and in karmic it works well, although you have to configure it first. i found that when installing it from synaptic it tried to pull in tightvnc. I wanted it to use the default vino server so I could connect to an existing session, which tightvnc doesnt allow. But the solution is simple:

1. install tightvncserver
    2. install xrdp
    3. uninstall tightvnc server
    4. run sudo service xrdp stop
    5. sudo nano /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini and just modify the top two sections:

Code:
    [globals]
    bitmap_cache=yes
    bitmap_compression=yes
    port=49500
    crypt_level=high
    channel_code=1

[xrdp1]
    name=sesman-Xvnc
    lib=libvnc.so
    username=ask
    password=ask
    ip=127.0.0.1
    port=5900
    As you can see I've changed the default xrdp port, set encryption to high, and ensured that 5900 is the vnc port (which vino uses)

6. configure remote desktop from the Gnome menu
    7. run sudo service xrdp start
    8. make sure whichever port you use, in this example 49500, is open in your firewall and that you forward that port in your router
    9. connect using the ip address and port number e.g. 1.2.3.4:49500
    10 alternatively, which i do, tunnel it over ssh e.g.

Code:
    ssh -L 49500:localhost:45900 user@remote_machine
    11. then just connect via localhost:49500

There's just one gotcha. I found that I could connect fine from XP and from another linux box using the terminal server client, but from windows 7 it was no go as it through up a protocol error. However, even here the solution is fairly simple - just use an old version of the remote desktop client on windows 7. The how to for this is here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

One more thing whilst I remember. If you use the vino server you wont be able to set the resolution of the remote desktop, it will display at whatever the native resolution is. If this is a problem just use tightvncserver and remember to modify the port from 5900 to 5901. Unfortunately you'll find the keymap is screwed up when you do this. The workaround is to edit ~/.vnc/xstartup file and add 'export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1' (without the quotes) before the last line /etc/X11/Xsession

Beans

For anybody still looking, I put together a "cookbook" to getting xrdp working both for controlling the active local login session and/or a "clean" unrelated session, using either Vino or TightVNC.

http://ubuntuwiki.net/index.php/Xrdp,_installing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrssystemsnet View Post
    For anybody still looking, I put together a "cookbook" to getting xrdp working both for controlling the active local login session and/or a "clean" unrelated session, using either Vino or TightVNC.

You rule. Thanks a lot for this link.

Beans

The wiki doc is very good, I just following it step by step, and I did comment out the twm!

However, I still get

Where can I check the log for errors?

thanks 1st

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by totalz View Post
    The wiki doc is very good, I just following it step by step, and I did comment out the twm!

However, I still get

Where can I check the log for errors?

thanks 1st
    Totalz, what version of Windows is that? I have heard that the version of Remote Desktop Connection in Win7 won't work with earlier RDP servers; perhaps that's the problem. (I only have Windows XP clients to test with.)

Maybe you could try doing an RDP in from localhost, using Ubuntu's built-in Terminal Server Client, to see if that's the problem?

Beans

Totalz, what version of Windows is that? I have heard that the version of Remote Desktop Connection in Win7 won't work with earlier RDP servers; perhaps that's the problem. (I only have Windows XP clients to test with.)

Maybe you could try doing an RDP in from localhost, using Ubuntu's built-in Terminal Server Client, to see if that's the problem?

Thanks jrssystemsnet,

I wish I can try xrdp locally, but it's a server afar, which is why I'm trying to rdp to it in the 1st place, all I have now is SecureShell

I wonder if I can find an older Windows RDP client to run in Win7!?

Just checked, there's some RD Gateway settings in Win7 RD client, probably not related, but will try to see if I can get a more detailed error...

Beans

I started getting 100% cpu because whenever I started vncserver, sth forks up a lot of vmware-user-wra

see details here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...60#post9020560

all I did was follow the wiki...

please help!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123