Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assistence iwth gnome-mag (magnifier) command-line parameters

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Assistence iwth gnome-mag (magnifier) command-line parameters

Hello, cerdiogenes.

Thanks for the information. I now have the latest version installed, and it works great.

There si one thing I am kind fo curious about, but I am not sure if it is somethign dealing with gnome-mag or just Ubuntu in general.

Basically, after soem time of using gnome-mag (activating/deactivating), my bottom panel disappears when I move my mouse pointer over it. The only thing which I have foudn to solve this, so far, si to hit CTRL+ALT+F2 to enter a command-line terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    This works, but I have to ensure that any applications I am running (i.e. OpenOffice) are closed as when GDM restarts, everything is killed.

As I said, though, I don't know if this si a Ubuntu/GNOME issue ro somethign to do with gnome-mag.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Take care.
    Proud visually impaired user of Ubuntu.
    Member of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team
    Registered Linux User #423082

Beans

Hi RKCole,

I need more informations to try to realize what is happening in your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by RKCole View Post
    Hello, cerdiogenes.

Thanks for the information. I now have the latest version installed, and it works great.

There si one thing I am kind fo curious about, but I am not sure if it is somethign dealing with gnome-mag or just Ubuntu in general.

Basically, after soem time of using gnome-mag (activating/deactivating), my bottom panel disappears when I move my mouse pointer over it. The only thing which I have foudn to solve this, so far, si to hit CTRL+ALT+F2 to enter a command-line terminal and type:
    Can you give informations of how much is this sometime, how frequently you active/deactive gnome-mag and what is the process that you take to do this activation/deactivation? I try to reproduce it here without success.

Could you inform your computer configuration?

In the past, GNOME panels lost a property when composite where used (the windows could overlay they), maybe this can be some similar problem, but it's very difficult to track if I can't reproduce it here.

Best regards,
    Carlos.

Beans
    Distro

I apologize, but it seems to just happen randomly. I do not think it is related to gnome-mag now, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RKCole View Post
    Hello, cerdiogenes.

I will give this all a try tomorrow. Although I don't consider myself an advanced Linux user yet, I accept the compliment. I hope to be able to consider myself at an advanced level one day. Thank you for gnome-mag, as if not for it and the Accessibility Team/Community, I probably would have given up on Linux a long while ago because of my lack of knowledge and experience. Now, however, I plan to do a complete migration from Windows within the next month. Thank you.

As far as posting any issues/problems here, are there certain files (maybe in the /var directory) ro anything (maybe terminal output) that will be of assistance if any problems arise? If so, please let me know and I will be sure to monitor any log files or terminal output as best as I can.

Take care.
    Hey,

I was wondering - did you ever get this to work? I'm new to Ubuntu and can follow that a little but . . . I really don't even know what "full screen mode" or - I forget the name of it now - means! I don't want it to, of course, magnify the whole screen (if it indeed means what it says which there is a lot of doubt today if anything really means what it says)

In windows I had a nice user adjustable box that I could virtually put anywhere I wanted and it would follow the mouse or the caret when I was typing. Is there anything like that in this Ubuntu?

Hope someone sees this.

Beans
    Distro

Hello, cheesphht.

I never did come up with the solution to this situation via the command-line. In Ubuntu 8.04, however, you can set everything you need through the Magnifier tab in Orca Preferences--if you are not familiar with Orca, it is a magnifier/screen reader. You can access it by doing the following:

1. Press ALT+F2 to open the Run Application dialog box.
    2. When the dialog box opens, type in
      Code:
      orca
      and press ENTER.

Orca will start and will read off options for you to select from by keyboard input.

In any case, there is a preferences button on the Orca application window which has a tab dedicated to the magnifier. I just tested this on my system, and it allows to dock the magnifier on the top of the screen.

Full-screen magnification refers to zooming in on the entire screen area. I used to dislike this until I began using Compiz Fusion with its eZoom plug-in. Compiz Fusion is a grahipcs accelerated window manager which has a lot fo features to it.

In any case, if I can be of any help to you, please e-mail me. I will be gone all day tomorrow, but I can write back tomorrow evening.

Please take care, and have a great day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123