Thread: Espeak in Intreprid Ibex

Espeak in Intreprid Ibex

In the downloads today for Intrepid Ibex, I noticed Espeak was included. Espeak is a speech synthesizer. Click here to go to Espeak's website.

I don't know if it will be released for Hardy Heron or not.

Intrepid Ibex is still in testing stage now, so it is not ready for production machines. If you use it, please put it on a spare machine or spare hard drive. It is due to be released as stable on 30 October 2008.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Espeak in Intreprid Ibex

eSpeak has been available since Ubuntu 7.04. It sounds way too robotic but it aupports many languages and it's extremely responsive. eSpeak is Orca's default speech synthesizer unless you upgraded your Ubuntu system from a version where Orca used Festival by default.
    sudo: A word from Spanish that means "I sweat".

Beans

Re: Espeak in Intreprid Ibex

I hope espeak has been compiled with pulseaudio support this time.
    As in hardy that wasn't the case.
    Work smart, not hard.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Espeakup for Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    In the downloads today for Intrepid Ibex, I noticed Espeak was included. ...

I don't know if it will be released for Hardy Heron or not.
    A new program, espeakup v 0.1, was released in late July, and we've been using it with hardy since then quite successfully. It completely removes the need to use speech-dispatcher as the linker with speakup, and I believe they're up to v. .4 now. Developed by a gentoo developer, William Hubbs, and good support/involvement from Kirk Reiser and others from the speakup mailing list.

Just thought I'd let people know, and will now bet testing it with Intrepid.