Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assistence iwth gnome-mag (magnifier) command-line parameters

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Assistence iwth gnome-mag (magnifier) command-line parameters

Hello, everyone.

I just installed Ubuntu 7.04 today, and I must say that I'm impressed all around. I'm especially impressed/excited about the changes in gnome-mag (magnifier). However, I need some assistance with setting up gnome-mag from the command-line.

I currently have a desktop launcher created for the magnifier which starts up the magnifier in a horizontal position on the screen with a zoom factor of 5.0. The commands/parameters I used in the launcher are as follows:

Code:
    magnifier -hmz 5.0
    There are two things I need help with (I really hope it's possible) to set up the magnifier a little better for me.

1. Is there a command-line argument/parameter I can use to remove the cross-hairs?

2. By default, the magnified portion of the screen is at the bottom of my screen. Is there something I can do to have this changed so that the top of the screen is the magnified portion? This would be very helpful to me.

gnome-mag has come a LONG way since I started using Ubuntu in March of 2005 or so. It is pretty much equivalent to ZoomText. I really just want to try to configure it as mentioned above, but I now feel I could make a permanent move to Ubuntu as the magnifier is now exactly what I need.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Take care.
    Proud visually impaired user of Ubuntu.
    Member of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team
    Registered Linux User #423082

Beans

Re: Assistence iwth gnome-mag (magnifier) command-line parameters

There seems to be a setting called viewport, but I could not get it to take a value.

Is there any reason why you don't want to run Orca in magnifier-only mode?

Btw, have you tried Beryl? It is now in 7.04 universe and has a fairly good zoom plugin (just need cursor tacking -- working on that).
    Henrik Nilsen OmmaUbuntu QA Team Lead

Beans
    Distro

Hello, Henrik.

I tried to use the magnifier support in Orca, actually, but (I'm not sure why) it did not work the same way as using the magnifier solely. For instance, when I tried setting the right and bottom values to maximum and setting top and right to 0 (which was supposed to result in full-screen magnification) full-screen magnification did not work. I received a completely white/tan screen. I coudl hear the voice output from Orca, but could not see anything. I had to actually go into a tty and run
    Code:
    killall orca magnifier
    orca --disable=magnifier
    in order to reset things (which was not a big problem).

Also, when I use just the magnifier with the -hmz 5.0 parameters, it works in much the same way as ZoomText does on Windows...but I cannot get this to work in Orca for some reason...It only works when I use the magnifier via command-line options.

I'm not sure what is happening, unless Orca is accessing the older version of the magnifier (I upgraded to v0.14.3 using the --prefix=/usr parameter when running the ./configure file)? I have Composite enabled in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Any ideas on what the issue could be? I'm using Orca v2.17.1.

I'm not sure how to explain the difference between runnning the magnifier by itself and running it with Orca...If I can I will try to post a screenshot fo each...but I really do not know how to explain the differences.

Also...I downgraded from Ubuntu 7.04...When the newest updates came out for the kernel version 2.6.20-13-generic...my system was inaccessible...so I did a fresh install of Edgy. I have the magnifier working the same in Edgy as it was in Feisty (and I have the driver for my nVidia card installed)...but I still do not know how to get it to work with Orca.

Thanks for any help you can offer concerning this.

Take care.

Beans
    Distro

My mistake...I'm using Orca v2.17.92 on Ubuntu 6.10 with latest updates and composite enabled.

Beans
    Distro

I hope this works. I'm attaching three screenshots of my desktop.

Desktop1.png: This is a screenshot of my desktop without any magnification. (As you can see, it's kind of plain and bland...but hey...I'll add an outer space background soon enough. )

Desktop2.png: This is a screenshot in which the magnifier si running via Orca. As you can see, all of my icons are pushed down and repositioned in columns...Basically my desktop real-estate shrinks dramatically. Any windows (like Firefox) that I would open will be pushed down off-screen, so any buttons (like in Orca Preferences) are inaccessible.

Desktop3.png: This is a screenshot of the magnifier running (solo) via the following settings (Note this is using magnifier v0.14.3):
    Code:
    magnifier -hmz 5.0
    As you can see in the unmagnified portion only the top half of my Desktop is visible, but in the magnified portion you can see the bottom portion. No windows are decreased in size, and the initial layout fo the desktop is untouched. the difference is that the magnifier can view all of the window without having to many any arrangements.

I hope this makes sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Henrik.

I installed Beryl on my Edgy system. It si very amazing. The only problems I've seen with it are that the title bars of windows I have open (such as the terminal)--which are positioned at the top-left of the screen) are not visible and I cannot move them; the second problem I have noticed is that shortcut keys, such as ALT+F1 no longer work. It is very amazing, though, and it actually uses less memory than Orca or gnome-mag do. I look forward to seeing plugins (as you had mentioned) becomign available in teh future.

Thanks for the suggestion on that...For the time being, though, I still would liek to use gnome-mag.

Take care and thanks again.

Beans

Hi RKCole,

We disable the composite use in gnome-mag when running through Orca, since we discovered a bug in it. I pretend to make a release of gnome-mag to 2.18.2 to correct this and probably Ubuntu will update this in their repository.

BTW, you are an advanced user and appear very interested in test it, so download the gnome-mag code from SVN (in you command-line type):

svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/gnome-mag/trunk gnome-mag

Edit the file magnifier/GNOME_Magnifier.server.in.in and remove the --ignore-composite option. Then enter the gnome-mag folder and type:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install

Hope this help, and please, post here any problems that you have while running orca/gnome-mag with this full-screen magnification support.

PS.: You need to install the gnome-common package to be able to run the autogen.sh script.

Best regards,
    Carlos.

Beans
    Distro

Hello, cerdiogenes.

I will give this all a try tomorrow. Although I don't consider myself an advanced Linux user yet, I accept the compliment. I hope to be able to consider myself at an advanced level one day. Thank you for gnome-mag, as if not for it and the Accessibility Team/Community, I probably would have given up on Linux a long while ago because of my lack of knowledge and experience. Now, however, I plan to do a complete migration from Windows within the next month. Thank you.

As far as posting any issues/problems here, are there certain files (maybe in the /var directory) ro anything (maybe terminal output) that will be of assistance if any problems arise? If so, please let me know and I will be sure to monitor any log files or terminal output as best as I can.

Take care.

Beans

I don't know much about Orca, but gnome-mag doesn't generate any file that can represent problems. I only ask it, because this doesn't receive tests. I think that I was the only one who tested it, but only for 3 minutes , so it can still have bugs that a more extensive use can give light on them!

Best regards,
    Carlos.

Beans
    Distro

Just compiled the latest SVN version of gnome-mag. Here si what I've noticed so far:

*The mouse tracking is very smooth.

I've noticed that when the mouse hovers over links which have Tooltips (such as those on the Ubuntu Forums), the magnifier shows the Desktop rather than the Firefox window, although Firefox is open. Also, any type fo tooltip seems to make the magnifier very "jumpy".

Keyboard tracking (not sure if this is related to Firefox or not): While typing (here in this posting form, for instance) the magnifier shows only the right-hand portion fo the screen, but not the actual text being typed.

Orca and full-screen: (NOte that I'm using Orca v2.18.1 as I could nto compile v2.19.1. How do I go about doing this?) In Full-screen mode (using Orca) I can see my cursor, but the screen is all black--no windows are shown whatsoever. HOwever, without Orca running, full-screen magnification works perfectly (just dont know how to get rid of the cross-hairs ).

My magnifier setup in Orca:

Positioning:
    Top: 0
    Left: 0
    Right: 1014
    Bottom: 400

Screen resolution: 1024x768

Please, let me know whatever you would like me to try and I will do so. I'm not sure if upgrading to Orca v2.19.1 will make much of a difference (/). I couldn't compile it on Feisty, though.

I hope that my information is clear and helpful. Please let me know if it is not and I will try to give better explanations.

Take care.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast