Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hello everyone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Hello everyone

Quote Originally Posted by bfledderjohn View Post
    Razorback, if you get me your Launchpad id I will put you on the team! We need more people in the midstate!

If you want you can go to http://launchpad.net/~pennsylvania

You can request to be part of the team there. I'm based in Harrisburg and there a at least two members from the York area as well.
    Launchpad ID is razorback.
    Asus P4C800-E; P4 3.2GHZ; 1 GB PC3200 Ram; PNY 7800GS; Linksys Wireless
    Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H; Phenom II X4 3GHZ; 4 GB PC3 10666; Palit GTS 250; Onboard LAN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, I bit the bullet and upgraded to Fiesty. I was skeptical at first. I first tried to upgrade from the network via Update Manager. The file downloads were approximated at 5 hours. So I used the alternate install cd to upgrade. Man, what a breeze to upgrade! All my fears were allayed and I am now a Fiesty Fawn lover. I recommend the upgrade to anyone running Edgy. It will only take a little time and the rewards are multifold! Don't wait, upgrade today!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I agree! I had a power glitch in the middle of my download so things got messed up and I had to do a clean reinstall. My only problem was the traffic on the servers. I started the download in the morning, went to work, came home and it was still downloading! Sometimes going slower than dial-up. In the end, however I'm very happy. Some minor issues that had with Edgy are totally cleared up. Everything seems to be more efficient and running faster than before.

I'm a happy camper.

Beans

+1 for feisty. I've been running it since Herd3 and have been loving it. Quite an improvement specially compared to the edgy vs. dapper release.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello all,

Iamalex pointed out to me that this group exists today, and I think it's fantastic. Joined the launchpad team, joined the IRC channel I'm not much of a forum person (can't wait for the mailing list!), but I'll try to hang around some.

I'm a 25 year old Debian Sysadmin for a firm outside Philadelphia called LinuxForce. I've been using Debian since 2002 and started checking out Ubuntu back when Warty was around. I moved to Ubuntu on my laptop about a year and a half ago because Debian didn't like my wireless card, and finally moved from Debian to Ubuntu on my primary machine in November.

In the past I've been more involved with Debian than Ubuntu, I maintain a couple packages for Debian (my package "dglog" made it's way to Ubuntu), use it at my job, and was one of the first contributers to Debian Women a few years back. Today I'm now an administrator for the Ubuntu-Women Project and intend to get more involved with Ubuntu stuff as time progresses.

Locally I run the Philadelphia Chapter of LinuxChix and the PLUG Chapter of Montgomery County (I'm also an admin on the phillylinux.org website - yes we do intend to update those dead sections someday).
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello all from Greensburg! I've been using Ubuntu for about a year and soon might wipe my last remaining Windows installation!

Quick question, my dad's computer which he has had less than 6 months has pretty much been flooded with viruses and spyware! It has slowed to a crawl! My brother and him have managed to mess it up in that short time. When I go over there this week should I: A) reistall XP and then wait another couple weeks until they cry that they broke it again... or B) Install Ubuntu and any software they might need. I leaning towards B, but they can screw ubuntu up as easily as they can screw xp... then i would have to help them fix it again anyway! Any suggestions?

Beans

it's much harder for them to screw up ubuntu, just don't tell them about how much access to config files they have and they'll never know. go with b go with b! I did it to my family and they're very happy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i did also did this for wife. started with slackware, then moved to ubuntu. she's been using linux for about 3 years now. my sister is installing ubuntu on an old desktop to control a disk changer i sent her last week. i just sent my mom up in Mass an old laptop with Puppy Linux on it (cFlash hard drive). it's only temporary until i get her a desktop setup with ubuntu installed. she's used ubuntu in the past and liked it. converting my older brother very soon too.

one suggestion. make sure you get sshd running and port forward to port 22 on your dad's PC. also, use dyndns.org to give yourself a pseudo-static IP. this is very handy if you want troubleshoot problems or install software remotely for them.

start a new thread if you want more detailed support on this topic. i'll be glad to help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for your suggestions! I am going to start that new thread, kejava because remote desktop sounds like it would save me a lot of hassle!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I agree, go with option b and set them up with an easy-to-use and Kick A$$ OS like Ubuntu. And give your poor pc a break from that virus called *******! Ha! And if my girlfriend who could barely send email is able to navigate a Linux OS your dad and brother will be fine with a Linux OS as well. The more people we convert then better it will be for all of us!!
    Last edited by thagoat; April 25th, 2007 at 10:12 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234