Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Canon PIXMA IP4000 drivers

Beans

Re: rpms gone

does this tutorial also work on the 64bits system of ubuntu?
    for now im going to install turboprint, (hope i succeed its my 2nd day as linux user)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: rpms gone

Has anyone been able to tweak the driver settings for this printer so one could make borderless prints? There is no true 4x6 borderless setting in the default print sizes. The closest you come to is the Hagaki 100x148 size.

Also, I don't believe bjcups is working properly for me. I'll enter

bjcups -P CanonIP4000

and the command won't print anything in the Terminal.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Canon PIXMA IP4000 drivers

I know this is a (an?) ubuntu forum, but has anyone got this working under debian? I'm not able to get a test page printed.

The installation looks fine, but then in the /var/logs/cups/error_log, I see that bjfilterpixusip4100 has died, with a bunch of junk starting with:
    D [09/Feb/2006:17:58:11 -0500] [Job 1] Error: invalid printer model name
    D [09/Feb/2006:17:58:11 -0500] [Job 1]
    D [09/Feb/2006:17:58:11 -0500] [Job 1] Canon Bubble Jet Print Filter for Linux Ver.2.50
    D [09/Feb/2006:17:58:11 -0500] [Job 1] Copyright CANON INC. 2001-2005
    D [09/Feb/2006:17:58:11 -0500] [Job 1] All Rights Reserved.
    D [09/Feb/2006:17:58:11 -0500] [Job 1]
    D [09/Feb/2006:17:58:11 -0500] [Job 1] bjfilterpixusip4100 --gui (gui mode)
    D [09/Feb/2006:17:58:11 -0500] [Job 1] bjfilterpixusip4100 [switches] [file]

this is the same output that I get if I try to run bjfilterpixusip4100 from the command line.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?
    thanks,
    a

Beans

Hi I followed your instructions carefully and got to the installation of the printer and even find PIXUS iP4100 ver 2.50 but when I highlight it it does not allow me to apply the settings? Went back and tried to load the file that was edited and still did not work?

What did I miss?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by smaloney
    Hi I followed your instructions carefully and got to the installation of the printer and even find PIXUS iP4100 ver 2.50 but when I highlight it it does not allow me to apply the settings? Went back and tried to load the file that was edited and still did not work?

What did I miss?
    Choose "Standard" on the "Driver" drop-down. I had to go back and re-read the instructions for this, myself.

I have my own question. I've installed it, and it printed the test page, but it's not clearing the job queue. This is for an iP5000. Does anyone else with an iP5000 have the same problem? I can just delete the jobs manually after they're done, but this seems strange.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Canon PIXMA IP4000 drivers

Has anyone tested the debian drivers?
    http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~tak...n-pixus25.html

I will test them as soon as I can, but I do not have the printer here.

Also this tread on kanotix gives som usefull information:
    http://forum.kanotix.net/PNphpBB2-vi...-start-30.html

Best regards
    Axel Bojer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well, the mentioned debiandriver works, but by me this gives two problems:
    (Kubuntu 5.10, updated)
    1) I can not use the autofeeder, not matter if I choose that under the kde printer settings. I saw someone else also complaining about this, I confirm to have the same problem
    2) Perhaps worse: The print get a reddisch color where the background is supposed to be gray, but I shall try the mentioned advise and play around with the settings.

plr -P </usr/bin/lpstat -v> works
    But sudo bjcups -P </usr/bin/lpstat -v> starts the GUI, but then wont save.
    The message is:
    lpr: error - unable to access "CANONPIXUSIP4100-deb" - Ingen slik fil eller filkatalog (the last part is norwegian and means: Can't find that file or folder).
    Maybe I destroyed something by installing both drivers (see next part).

I tried the rpm to debian-packages as mentioned at the start of this thread too, but it seemde to be exactly the same driver, I will try more later.

Best regards
    Axel Bojer

Beans

Originally Posted by axelb
    Has anyone tested the debian drivers?
    http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~tak...n-pixus25.html

I will test them as soon as I can, but I do not have the printer here.

Also this tread on kanotix gives som usefull information:
    http://forum.kanotix.net/PNphpBB2-vi...-start-30.html

Best regards
    Axel Bojer
    After reading somewhere that the correct canon-japan driver for the pixma ip4000 is the pixus860i I have noticed in the canon-japan website that:
    Canon Pixus ip4100 although it has the same case as the pixma ip4000, it uses the BCI-7e* series of inks while both pixma ip4000 and pixus860i use the BCI-6* series. So I opened up:
    http://mambo.kuhp.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~takushi/
    and followed the page's instructions to install the debian drivers for 860i. (note: I'm on breezy)
    After some testing and tweeking the ppd file, as described in this how-to, to enable high quality printing, it seems that this is the driver for the ip4000. The printed colours now look exactly as in winXP and do not look reddish as with the pixus4100 driver. However i don't have any time to do more testing with other than plain paper and with different applications.
    Problems-Limitatios-bugs:
    • Printing only possible with sheet feeder. No cassette.
    • No cd, no duplex printing
    • With some apps the printing job shows to begin, then ends but no printing happens, while cpu usage goes to 100% and remains there. I don't know what causes this but after removing cupsys (with all conf settings through synaptic) and re-installing it, the problem is solved.
    • ink and printer monitoring not possible

I have also tried to install the new gutenprint pre-5.0.0rc2 (ex gimp-print) drivers which include an open source driver for ip4000. This release I suppose will be included in dapper. I have installed it in breezy using this how-to:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=119595
    However, the driver seems that it is still buggy, at least in breezy. Read this thread: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...forum_id=4359,
    I 've managed to print only after setting up the printer through the web interface as indicated in the thread, only at 600x600 resolution. The quality is inferior to the canon-japan pixus860i driver but the news is that duplex printing and cd printing is said to be supported (I haven't tested). Note that there is some kind of bug in the gnome cups manager with this version: After finishing printing, the job shows to be still active and you have to manually cancel it. Therefore I would recommend not to install and wait for Dapper to see if this is resolved.
    I hope that this info is useful. Unfortunately I'm still a newbie in linux and don't have the time (I'm a university student) to reply to something i do not have the knowledge. So sorry if not replying to some posts.

Beans

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Canon PIXMA IP4000 drivers

Quote Originally Posted by paris_m_
    This is a HOWTO install the canon pixma ip4000 drivers, released by canon japan and downloaded from: ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux/
    Please note, that Canon has released 2.60 version of their binary drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by paris_m_
    6. Fix libs

$sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/libpng.so.2
    $sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    $sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 /usr/lib/libxml.so.1
    Don't!!! That number means compatibility on binary interface. libpng2 and libtiff3 can be easily compiled from older debian sources. Just go to:

1. http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/t/tiff/ download tiff-3.5.5 (orig.tar.gz, diff.gz and dsc), issue dpkg-source -x tiff*dsc, go to created dir, install build-essential, devscripts, libz-dev and libjpeg62-dev, and run debuild
    2. http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libp/libpng/ download libpng_1.0.18*, compile

Install libtiff3g_3.5.5*deb, libpng2*deb and libpng10-0*deb and you are done.

libxml1 is available even in dapper, no need to break your system by doing stuff you don't understand.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake

something for ip4200 and amd 64?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast