Thread: Forums for state teams?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Forums for state teams?

I was wondering, what are the merits of state teams having separate forums?
    I looked through some of the state LoCo forums and noticed that there are primarily two kinds of threads:
    1. Meeting announcements -- you hardly need a forum for that, mailing lists do nicely.
    2. Threads that should be in a different forum for various reasons. Most forum threads just aren't intended for the small specific audience of the LoCo team. Some should be in the cafe. Some are looking for project ideas, and I think that those also should get more attention than just the state teams, and thats one thing the NU team and its forum are here for. There are also threads in multiple local forums asking what a LoCo team is.

I think that extra forums for each team in the region just spread out information for no reason, and most things posted in local forums are either actually aimed at a wider audience or aren't really discussion topics. The MA team has decided not to get a forum for now. What do you think, do state teams need to each have their own forum here?
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Forums for state teams?

GameManK,

I think that there are definite advantages to using the Forum.

1. A forum can include people who are not a part of the LoCo or the mailing list.
    2. People who are not aware of the LoCo (or possibly LoCo's in general) but do a search of the forums can find specific information about the LoCo and what we're working on.
    3. Create an area for local specific targets and goals that is centralized
    4. The more exposure the better. The easier it is to find your LoCo the better it is for recruitment and awareness of your LoCo's activities.

That doesn't mean that the LoCo's are using the forum correctly or with disciple. So perhaps the question shouldn't be "are the forums useful" but rather "are the forums being used in an effective manner"

Good observation, GameMank!

Bret
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Good points Bret, but the question then becomes who decides the proper use of the fourm?

I know that with the Maryland Team being new, I wanted a fourm to make people aware of us. Also if I post a meeting there, it'll get eyeballs that a mailing list just would not as many people are not using email for lists anymore. I'm on some just because there is no forum alternative.

Sometimes a project wants to be localized for one reason or another, particularly if that project is manpower and locally based. I don't want to post in the NE forum for something that will only affect people in and around Baltimore, MD.

As for multiple threads on the same or similar topic, i.e. 'What is a Loco' that is a different matter entirely. That, I would argue, is the community as a whole not providing the info in a clear manner or people just not looking before asking.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm by no means trying to be or get someone to be a "forum regulator." Part of the charm of the community is that it is a community and sometimes the same issues are being discussed at the same time at different places. If you over-regulate the forums, you can cut the heart right out of them. The only point I was making is that if we, as forum administrators, don't have discipline, we run the risk of losing people to chaos (as the ulltimate worst case scenario).

But I do support each LoCo having it's own forum. So you and I are on the same page with that!
    - Bret

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

A lot of the sections have threads inside the forum, but subforums inside there as well. What if we make a subforum for each LoCo Team, but keep whole-region discussion in here?

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    A lot of the sections have threads inside the forum, but subforums inside there as well. What if we make a subforum for each LoCo Team, but keep whole-region discussion in here?
    Well each state currently has a fourm. And regional discussions should be kept here.

With the web being what it is, I think having the regional and state forums at the same level is a manageable thing. I don't really see the benefit of moving things around except for a nested look to the forum. And going off of memory, I don't think that all the US regions have regional groups.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have to agree with Chuck. I don't see a real need to change the status quo.
    - Bret

Beans

Please all State team leaders in our region please read this thread:
    Changes for the NU Ubuntu Team & state teams in our region

and let me know if this sounds good to you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by GameManK View Post
    I was wondering, what are the merits of state teams having separate forums?
    I looked through some of the state LoCo forums and noticed that there are primarily two kinds of threads:
    1. Meeting announcements -- you hardly need a forum for that, mailing lists do nicely.
    2. Threads that should be in a different forum for various reasons. Most forum threads just aren't intended for the small specific audience of the LoCo team. Some should be in the cafe. Some are looking for project ideas, and I think that those also should get more attention than just the state teams, and thats one thing the NU team and its forum are here for. There are also threads in multiple local forums asking what a LoCo team is.

I think that extra forums for each team in the region just spread out information for no reason, and most things posted in local forums are either actually aimed at a wider audience or aren't really discussion topics. The MA team has decided not to get a forum for now. What do you think, do state teams need to each have their own forum here?
    I have always felt that the state team forums within the NU Ubuntu Team should be child boards of the NU Ubuntu Team.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think one advantage of the local forums is the ability to subscribe to them. With a quick look into your users' control panel you can see if there are any new links there as well as new threads (which you would have to run across to know to subscribe them otherwise).

Now if there was a way to list the local teams IN the Notheastern Team, that just gives you the link, and some indication if there are new, unread posts (bold title, changed color icon, etc.), then that way you can easily hop from one place to the other and if you follow other local teams (surrounding states, state you went to college in, state you used to live in, etc.) it would be simple.

Kinda like the Forum Community Discussion locaiton, where the sub-forums are present and have an indicator if there is something new with the colored or grey Ubuntu logo.

It could be just a single "Local States" header with each local team being a seperate folder underneath! Doesn't have to be much, just something that makes it simple to see there's a new post, or to hop onto that forum for more localized activities.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531