Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HowTo: Ubuntu Command-Line Edition

Beans

Re: HowTo: Ubuntu Command-Line Edition

You can also do a command-line installation from the Ubuntu Alternate CD. I used this to install Xubuntu without needing to burn another disc.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Ive used finch the CLI version of pidgin but don't know how to install it by its self but it is great
    theres also
    axel ( download accelerator which uses multiple connections to speed up downloads)
    bsdgames (hole bunch of old school games)
    bsdgames-nonfree (a game called rogue)

Beans

You guys can also just hit Ctrl + Alt + F1 in your normal Ubuntu installations to get away from X.

To go back to X just hit Ctrl + Alt + F7.

Beans

goonies: The problem with that is, X is still running and eating HUGE ammounts of ram, and also, it will take just as long to boot. With this type of system with xorg disabled, you can just startx only when you really need to use X.

Until I got my new laptop, I was running an ubuntu system like this on a P2 - 300MHz. It was insanely fast, I beat Core2Duo laptops, I would boot faster than them, and I could open my web browser way faster than them (though there is dillo, an X based browser that is really light. also, links2 works with x as well. neither support javascript or css, and will look somewhat wierd on messy sites.)

yellow onion: How much difference does axel make compared to wget or any normal solution? and does it support resuming downloads? setting the Referer address?

I was wondering if there are any image viewers that would work over an ssh connection?

Most of the other things I have tried in this article work great, it's just that I would want a picture viewer for remote use as well.

Other than that, great article!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is a great tutorial! Very fun. I'm a cli novice but have been curious about learning more since reading Neal Stephenson's In the Beginning Was the Command Line years ago. In my job, I need to handle a lot of heavily formatted word processing documents and spreadsheets so migrating to OOo was a big deal. This tutorial gives me hope that I'll some day be able to dump the GUI from my machine completely on those days I'm not in the mood to click-and-drag. Thank you!

Beans

Hi,
    Just found this HowTo. Thanks, it's very informative - I am attempting to get a purely CL Gutsy on my Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. But when I try to get the framebuffer working by adding that 'vga=...' command to the kernel line in the Grub menu, I get a blank screen when I try to boot up the CLI install of Ubuntu, and have to go back into my normal Ubuntu to restore it. What could be wrong?

Beans

Hello you crazy crazy hackers,
    I started something likethis myself, and I'm hooked. The speed, simplicity, and change in mindset are all great.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the usefull comments throughout this thread.

Beans

well 6 moths later...
    Im trying this with hardy on my Dell Latitude CP
    144mhz 96mb ram
    see how fast it'll do aginst those vista machines
    also i think wine could be used from command line to run some dos apps
    Last edited by ajfisherman; August 3rd, 2008 at 03:52 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123