Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking Your Nvidia Graphics Card

Beans

Re: Overclocking Your Nvidia Graphics Card

@fastsheep

don't know if you don't consider them good, but both nvidia-settings and nvclock have temperature monitors

also, i can't edit speeds.. when i click apply after a change, the speed is automatically brought back to its previous value!

asy
    Last edited by asymmetric; June 12th, 2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by fatsheep View Post
    Good luck, and don't fry anything!
    I'll try not to, i have to be careful with OCing, mostly because my card doesnt have a temp monitor, even more so, my CPU is a P4 Prescott, so my case is already pretty hot. Im thinking about building a new computer soon, so once i do, i will mess around with the old one, hopefully learns some good tips about overclocking.
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 10895
    My Computer: P4 HT 3.04Ghz, Nvidia GeForce 6600 256Mb AGP, 1GB DDR2 533Mhz, hda1-120Gb-- Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty, sda1-250Gb--Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Anybody have an update on why the auto-detect button is grayed-out?
    ~Megatog615

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

ok this is weird and I hope this happend to someone else but everytime i try to change the clock settings in the OC menu I click apply and it goes right back to the default settings....anyone have any suggestions?

**EDIT**

sorry for posting this question alot lol i didnt read the last couple posts

**2ndEDIT** lol

to anyone who has the OC issues where the frequencies wont stick or the auto detect button is grayed out...
    Do you have the Go series? or any mobile series unit? because if you read the "help" it says that the OC options are limited to the FX series and newer non-mobile units.... =\

Kudo's to anyone who can find a way passed this =]
    Last edited by Posterus; May 11th, 2008 at 09:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

How to underclock?

Beans
    Hidden!

The 'Auto Detect' button is grayed out for me until I select '3D Clock Frequencies'. I have an nVidia GeForce 7600gt.

I have now done everything in the tutorial, but after restarting/logging out and back in, the nvidia-settings revert back to their original state. I'm using xubuntu, so instead of 'sessions' I added the command to 'Auto Started Applications'. Could this be the reason or is there something else I've not done?

EDIT: sorted it out. It was because I left the '<' and '>' symbols in the command, causing a syntax error. All worky now! Thanks!
    Last edited by spadewarrior; June 2nd, 2008 at 12:56 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Beans

Will Coolbits help me stop the issue of the fan ramping up to full blast (full noisy too) if the GPU gets hotter than 40C which it always does?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by spadewarrior View Post
    The 'Auto Detect' button is grayed out for me until I select '3D Clock Frequencies'. I have an nVidia GeForce 7600gt.
    I am using a GeForce 8600M GT with driver version 169.12. I am on Ubuntu 8.04. I did everything in the Tutorial. My 'Auto Detect' is still grayed out even after selecting '3D Clock Frequencies'. I also have an issue where after I set the new clock frequencies and click 'Apply', the settings and slider bars revert to the previous setting (default setting). Adding the line of code to my startup up sessions did not work either. For some reason, NVIDIA X Server Settings is not letting me change the clock frequencies at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok.. so I have a new problem now (likely due to my own noob-stupidity)...

I tried updating the NVIDIA driver from 169.12 to 173.14.05. Had some issues closing out of X11 and doing it at root level, but I was able to install it. I updated the driver, but for some reason after I rebooted my display is stick at 640x480. The NVIDIA driver is not showing up in System>Administration>Hardware Drivers, and it won't let me resize the resolution in System>Preferences>Screen Resolution.

Does anyone know how I can resolve the resolution issue?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just fixed the above issue regarding screen resolution. I'm now running 173.14.05 driver, but I still have the same original issue where I can't get my clock frequency chances to apply. I click the button and frequencies revert to initial setting.

Think I'm about to give up on this one for now... but if anyone has a suggestion, I would greatly appreciate it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast