Thread: Maryland Loco Team Meetup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Maryland Loco Team Meetup

We now have a place and time for the first in person meeting of the Maryland Ubuntu LOCO group! It will be on Saturday March 31 at the Greater Baltimore Hamboree and Computerfest show in Timonium, MD at the fairgrounds.

We will be meeting in the Exhibition Hall meeting room from 11am until 12 noon. I'll be posting more of an agenda in the next couple of days, but it won't be anything real formal. Keep an eye here and at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam for details!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Maryland Loco Team Meetup

Okay, here 's the outline of what I'm think of for this meetup at the GBHC on March 31.

My expectations for this meetup are to get to know each other a bit. Discuss ideas of what the broad goals of the Maryland group should be. I want to see what level of participation people are willing to give. What resources we can gather together to work from? Does anyone have any projects or organizations that we can help with in particular via our F/OSS ideals and resources?

I will have a very limited amount of Canonical provided Ubuntu 6.06 LTS CDs. I'm planning to have ISO's of the 6.06 (Dapper) and 6.10 (Edgy) Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, and Xubuntu releases to burn as requested and as time allows.

In addition we'll be doing a key signing for anyone wishing to build up their GPGKey web of trust. So be sure to bring your gpg fingerprint printed on a piece of paper and government issued photo ID. If you intend to participate and want to send me your key early I'll build a separate keyring and provide a list for those people.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for getting this started. I work for Howard County Library as their network administrator. You may not know it but we have over 300 Ubuntu based desktops in our system. We have been advocates of Linux for over 5 years now and are glad to see this distro become so popular.

I'd like to be a member of the group and I'd also like to volunteer the use of our meeting room at the Central Branch in Columbia, Maryland. I believe its a great location being between Baltimore and Washington. Feel free to contact me at the library (ljs at hclibrary dot org).

Visit us at:

http://hclibrary.org

Check out this article at Linux.com:

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/09/22/1542254

and NewsForge:

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?.../05/03/1520209

See you at the meeting!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by ljsalazar View Post
    Thanks for getting this started. I work for Howard County Library as their network administrator. You may not know it but we have over 300 Ubuntu based desktops in our system. We have been advocates of Linux for over 5 years now and are glad to see this distro become so popular.

I'd like to be a member of the group and I'd also like to volunteer the use of our meeting room at the Central Branch in Columbia, Maryland. I believe its a great location being between Baltimore and Washington. Feel free to contact me at the library (ljs at hclibrary dot org).

See you at the meeting!
    I agree that it's a great location for a meeting. I'm also aware of the work that you all have been doing with Linux there at the library (maybe you can fix some overdue fines for me) Just before the latest release you put out I was looking for 'The Official Ubuntu Book' and asked the lady behind the counter. Well she shocked me by knowing what Ubuntu was and how to spell it!

Knowing these things, I was going to be spending a little time over the weekend to figure out how to get into contact with someone in your group for some possible resources, but since you volunteered, I get to do other things now! I will be in contact with you to talk a bit more about your offer.

I'll see you at the show!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ljsalazar View Post
    I moved to Howard County last year and it was a very pleasant suprise to see Ubuntu computers provided for the patrons. It's actually the only time I've used Ubuntu desktop (I use Kubuntu myself).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i have been a patron of hclibrary but i have never used their desktops. nice to know that they are using ubuntu or open source at that. I just hope that we as a team could convince more people to go open and free. more power to all.

Beans

Are any future team meetings planned? I would like to participate in a local Ubuntu group - I am North of Towson and going down to the DC area is too much time and too much gasoline.

This Team seems to be slow in starting up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by bdalzell View Post
    Are any future team meetings planned? I would like to participate in a local Ubuntu group - I am North of Towson and going down to the DC area is too much time and too much gasoline.

This Team seems to be slow in starting up.
    Hi bdalzell. Take a look at our team wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarylandTeam. We currently meet twice a month, once in person and once on IRC. The wiki explains it all. Check out the meetings page for details.