Thread: Library Display

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Library Display

Well, I have been almost totally inactive in this group since the early going, but I've finally got something on the ball. I contacted the local library we go to and arranged to have the month of May for a display about Linux, OSS and FSF in the case. I am going to do some nice stand up boards with the background of linux, oss, fsf and Ubuntu and what it is all about. I will leave disks of Kubuntu and Ubuntu Dapper with detailed sheets on how they are to be used and links to the community.

I think it will be a nice introduction to things. The librarian woman certainly does not know about Linux. She asked me if this was something I was trying to sell. I said, "Oh, heavens no. Quite the opposite. I'm trying educate people to the fact that there are great alternatives out there that don't cost an arm and a leg."

It'll be at the Portage Lake's branch of the Akron-Summit County Public Library.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: Library Display

That's great to hear! Please let us know how this goes. The Marketing Team has been working hard on getting Ubuntu into libraries, by targeting both the bottom and the top of the libraries. Currently, Dan and I are working on sending Ubuntu discs with a semi-desktop guide inserted in a DVD case to all the people interested at OPLIN (btw, the head of Oplin already uses Ubuntu!). Our hope is to someday get Ubuntu cataloged in the libraries. The lower end is exactly what your doing, having displays at our local libraries and stocking them with Ubuntu discs that they are able to give away.

Please let us know how this works out. Also, if it's possible, I'd love to see the documents you are distributing them with and maybe put them on the Wiki so others can use them for displays and the discs.

<shameful plug>
    (P.S. if you haven't checked out the marketing team, I'd think you would really like it!).
    </shameful plug>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Library Display

Thanks for the encouragement. If the head of OPLIN already uses Linux, that's a great head start!! I'll keep you posted and will gladly donate any documents for consideration to be used.

I'll also check out the marketing team.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

yo! steven8! glad to see you again
    As Anthony (theidiotthatisme) said, we'd really love to have you on the Ohio LoCo Marketing Subteam: https://launchpad.net/~oh-marketing

Also, if you haven't already done so, please join the team mailing list: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-oh This is where we'd like to conduct most discussion, as some Subteam members simply cannot be in IRC when we can meet ...

Anthony and I have been trying to coerce team members into actively participating in the library CD distribution project ... with little effect

Let's get this %&$@!&# project back on track, darnit!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

that is brilliant. brilliant I say.

Are you using desktops or laptops or both?

i think i get more of a response when I show it off on my laptop than anything.......

I'm in the process of converting my dad over, and he's already given out kubuntu cds to folks he works with, and they say "Where the #$#% did you learn about linux?!" and dad says "Oh, my son up in Ohio. He's into those sort of geeky things."

Where in Ohio are you? North, South?

If it's not too far from Cincinnati, I'd like to go to this, and help out or something...
    If it's on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, I could go!
    Technology is dominated by two types of people: those who understand what they do not manage, and those who manage what they do not understand.
    My Blog / My Kubuntu Help Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by netboy541 View Post
    that is brilliant. brilliant I say.

Are you using desktops or laptops or both?

i think i get more of a response when I show it off on my laptop than anything.......

I'm in the process of converting my dad over, and he's already given out kubuntu cds to folks he works with, and they say "Where the #$#% did you learn about linux?!" and dad says "Oh, my son up in Ohio. He's into those sort of geeky things."

Where in Ohio are you? North, South?

If it's not too far from Cincinnati, I'd like to go to this, and help out or something...
    If it's on a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, I could go!
    Unfortuantely, it's not going to be a demonstration. Just a display. I've printed up the Ubuntu flyer, and will have one of those to go with the disks. I am going to use that foam backing board to stand up some written info about Linux/FSF/OSS.

It'll be in Akron. The Portage Lakes area. Here is a link to a mapquest map:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...&name=&dtype=s

Also, theidiotthatisme, meatballhat, I'd be very happy to be a part of the OhioLoco Marketing team.

Thanks!