View Poll Results: How do you get your music?

Voters
315. You may not vote on this poll
  • I still buy CD's

142 45.08%
  • Online music store (Specify which store in your post.)

43 13.65%
  • Torrents

132 41.90%
  • P2P (Limewire, emule, etc.)

104 33.02%
  • Other (Specify in post)

56 17.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you get your music?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Where do you get your music?

Quote Originally Posted by Xzallion View Post
    I buy cd's, download legal torrents from Jamendo and over clocked remix, and I get the Magnatune song of the day.

I don't buy music online unless im buying the actual cd online. I had a bad experience losing $10 worth of music cause of the wallmart musics drm. I had to format my computer, and couldn't get them to recognize it again after that.
    This is why you use something like emusic, that doesn't shove a bunch of ****** DRM in their files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I use a variety of stores.

The thing that annoys me about emusic and being from the UK is that emusic has a special (as in needs) UK style membership - so you don't have access to a lot of the music. This is obviously the same issue that caused region coding on DVDs, i.e. that media companies like to be able to exploit people by geographical market and don't like the idea of people going to where they can legally get the music the cheapest.

So I ignore emusic. Instead I use:

Bleep is a good store, they encode using lame --preset insane, which is nice. Their shop front is a pain to use but once you've located and bought the music it's the simplest store I''ve come across. They also do flac downloads of the recent catalogue.

Audio Lunchbox are a good store, the music is encoded 192kbps VBR, which is OK but not brilliant. It's the same kind of subscription thing as emusic and I find I'm always at the end of my credits. I find the preview system slightly annoying but a good simple basket system once you've joined. You can get a 10 track album for 10 credits and a 40 credit per month account costs $9.99 or something, so that's 4 albums for $10.

With these two it's always hit and miss as to whether they will have a particular artist you want. They both have big-name artists but a lot of the music is from less well-known acts. I've found a lot of good new bands at these stores.

I've checked out allofmp3 but personally I want to fuel rockstars' drug habits, because it's when they crash and burn that they produce the best music. That's why I buy legal music and even if allofmp3 is legal in the strictest sense, it's only that because Russia has bad copyright laws.

The rest of the time I buy CDs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Will I be hated if I bump this.

Beans

Btw.. stop sharing music illegally if you are.. that is why there are such DRM restrictions now!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by billdotson View Post
    Btw.. stop sharing music illegally if you are.. that is why there are such DRM restrictions now!
    No. DRM is there now because the labels are greedy corporations who make far more money off any album than the artist ever could. Piracy was around before DRM, and it won't diminish because of it. That's just common sense.

I buy what CDs I can afford to for my favorite artists, and grab the rest from OiNK.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by billdotson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteBlues View Post
    No. DRM is there now because the labels are greedy corporations who make far more money off any album than the artist ever could. Piracy was around before DRM, and it won't diminish because of it. That's just common sense.

I buy what CDs I can afford to for my favorite artists, and grab the rest from OiNK.
    Please. Do not turn this thread into yet another friggin' DRM and piracy thread. Take it to PM or another thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict View Post
    Please. Do not turn this thread into yet another friggin' DRM and piracy thread. Take it to PM or another thread.
    All I'm saying is the blame ought not to be balled onto we pirates.

Beans
    Hidden!

*sigh*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber View Post
    the thread is all about where we buy our music from.
    actually the thread is about: Where do you get your music?

I haven't bought a CD in years....the last CD I did buy I bought directly from the Artist in Israel, before that I bought a CD at "The Phantom of The Opera" on Broadway in New York City (Manhatten). I bought it directly from the main artist and the proceeds went to benefit AIDS research.

aside from that the last CD I bought online was for a Danish group that at the time had no US distributorship:
    under byen

I bought it from a Dutch site.

*& gentlemen keep the post on topic, any bickering can be done elsewhere, perhaps on freenode or Jabber, anywhere but here*
    Last edited by RAV TUX; March 18th, 2007 at 04:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, pease, I don't want this turning into a debate about illegal downloads and drm, only about where you get your music.

And I'm actually somewhat surprised so many people still buy CDs compared to other ways of obtaining music.
    Last edited by Kujen; March 18th, 2007 at 05:09 AM.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast