• No

7 6.93%
  • Other

7 6.93%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu Idea Storm?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Idea Storm?

well.. from my perspective as an end user (I am new to linux and only starting to understand the cli):

There are a lot of rough edges for new users. Lots of little annoyances, ones that never seem to get addressed, then thrown on the back burner and never properly addressed.

You can voice your opinion or ask for help but most of the time you are met with sarcastic flames from the gurus. "Get your money back if you not happy", "If you need a newer version of a program to fix a bug wait six months or switch to gentoo", "linux isn't windows stop relying solely on gui and learn the cli".

For the most part the opinions of the end users, the new users to linux are often thrown out the window and disregarded, if not at times met with hostility.

I myself use automatix2, and have installed it along with edgy on about 20 computers for friends and family. I have never run into any issues using it but if I were to mention this fact I would get flamed into submission about how I was encouraging people to blow up their computers. I have never actually heard of anyone blowing up their system with the newest version of automatix2, and it seems to me more like FUD(fear uncertainty and doubt). A lot of the more technical users need to be honest with themselves and ask why such a project even exits and is so popular if the opinions of the end users were actually being met with the current feedback model.

I think Dell's ideastorm model is near perfect for non-technical users to post their suggestions, ideas, opinions, annoyances, etc. I feel this model most accurately represents the philosophy of Ubuntu itself as a feedback mechanism.
    Last edited by maynoth; March 15th, 2007 at 08:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by maynoth View Post
    well.. from my perspective as an end user (I am new to linux and only starting to understand the cli):

There are a lot of rough edges for new users. Lots of little annoyances, ones that never seem to get addressed, then thrown on the back burner and never properly addressed.

You can voice your opinion or ask for help but most of the time you are met with sarcastic flames from the gurus. "Get your money back if you not happy", "If you need a newer version of a program to fix a bug wait six months or switch to gentoo", "linux isn't windows stop relying solely on gui and learn the cli".

For the most part the opinions of the end users, the new users to linux are often thrown out the window and disregarded, if not at times met with hostility.

I myself use automatix2, and have installed it along with edgy on about 20 computers for friends and family. I have never run into any issues using it but if I were to mention this fact I would get flamed into submission about how I was encouraging people to blow up their computers. I have never actually heard of anyone blowing up their system with the newest version of automatix2, and it seems to me more like FUD(fear uncertainty and doubt). A lot of the more technical users need to be honest with themselves and ask why such a project even exits and is so popular if the opinions of the end users were actually being met with the current feedback model.

I think Dell's ideastorm model is near perfect for non-technical users to post their suggestions, ideas, opinions, annoyances, etc. I feel this model most accurately represents the philosophy of Ubuntu itself as a feedback mechanism.
    I encourage you to post your concerns on Launchpad, and hope earnestly that your concerns are met by the people who actually can do something to help.

Merely setting up an external "ideastorm-like" site that has no connection to the developers, and can neither command (through persuasion) nor compel (through payments) their attention is an empty gesture. At the risk of sounding harsh, let me quote Travis Tritt-- "Here's a quarter--call someone who cares."

Beans

let me quote Travis Tritt-- "Here's a quarter--call someone who cares."
    Well everyone seems to share your attitude.. which is why linux is going to take 30+ years to become mainstream.. end users (who cannot program) are left out of the R & D loop. The things which should take top priority are never addressed, and instead we focus on things like beta 3D gui's. I would rather have a default gui to edit xorg, and fstabs... a device manager that actually manages not a device viewer. I could care less about eyecandy.

Don't get me wrong I mean ubuntu is wonderful, the advances it has made in a few short years is nothing short of amazing. I think out of all flavors of linux ubuntu is the best and easiest to use free distro. But there is a big disconnect between end users and developers, and the apathy isn't going to bridge that divide. It is getting there, but the priorities are way out of whack, and just about every end user I have talked to has made the same observation.

Beans
    Distro

Well everyone seems to share your attitude.. which is why linux is going to take 30+ years to become mainstream.. end users (who cannot program) are left out of the R & D loop. The things which should take top priority are never addressed, and instead we focus on things like beta 3D gui's. I would rather have a default gui to edit xorg, and fstabs... a device manager that actually manages not a device viewer. I could care less about eyecandy.

Don't get me wrong I mean ubuntu is wonderful, the advances it has made in a few short years is nothing short of amazing. I think out of all flavors of linux ubuntu is the best and easiest to use free distro. But there is a big disconnect between end users and developers, and the apathy isn't going to bridge that divide. It is getting there, but the priorities are way out of whack, and just about every end user I have talked to has made the same observation.
    Let me explain my Travis Tritt allusion even more plainly:

Here's a quarter: If you cannot commit changes yourself, or convince a skilled practitioner to commit change for you, then you're stuck. You could always do what we always do in capitalistic societies--offer to pay someone for his labor. But I'm betting you're not willing to stump up even a quarter dollar for that, so

call someone who cares. The developers have, as part of their development process, established means by which user feedback can be considered: Bug trackers. The bug tracker for the Ubuntu project lives at http://launchpad.net

Setting up a separate forum (no matter how hype-compliant) simply to call for feature changes is useless. Unless you are able to make the changes yourself or compel someone else to make the changes for you, your complaints are meaningless. Developers are not obliged to expend any more effort to go looking for them. They are busy developing software, paying the rent, or orbiting space in Russian Soyuz capsules. They have other things to do than google around for your gripes, or provide you with on-the-spot guidance.

If, however, you post feature requests and bug reports on the channels THE DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES PROVIDE, your complaints have a much higher probability of being read, analyzed, understood, and even acted upon.
    Last edited by Brunellus; March 19th, 2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: re-structured explanation more lucidly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

My pet peeve is Totem

But regarding xorg gui and fstab editor, these are things which I believe are in development, and are already in some distros like SUSE.

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu Idea Storm?

maynoth, Ubuntu is already developing this with "SimpleXSelection", Xorg 7.3 (will require almost no editing of xorg.conf, + dual monitors), as well as a device manager. They're all on the wiki pages or google. I think your idea is interesting but these specific things are planned already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Anyone know whatever happened to the Ubuntu Forums Ambassadors idea?
    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...um-ambassadors
    We had some discussions which resulted in :
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumAmbassadors

The most recent development :

nominate yourself for Forum Ambassador
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=366253

We are happy to inform you that we are currently in a phase of the forum-ambassadors project where it makes sense to investigate who wants to become Forum Ambassador members / leaders.
    (you can find the nomination thread also through the big forum ambassadors thread http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=278375)

Forum Ambassaor volunteers are welcome !

We will update you guys when there's something else to report.
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; March 21st, 2007 at 10:36 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maynoth
    Well everyone seems to share your attitude.. which is why linux is going to take 30+ years to become mainstream.. end users (who cannot program) are left out of the R & D loop.
    The operating systems that are mainstream today did not become mainstream by caring passionately for the end user's every demand, let alone letting them in the R&D loop. Actually, you have far more of a chance of making a difference in the FOSS paradigm, if you're willing to learn how the social mechanisms work, adapt to them, and utilize them, instead of expecting them to bend to suit you. You stand next to zero chance of making any difference in the mainstream proprietary paradigm.

The things which should take top priority are never addressed, and instead we focus on things like beta 3D gui's. I would rather have a default gui to edit xorg, and fstabs... a device manager that actually manages not a device viewer. I could care less about eyecandy.
    (emphasis mine)

Your repeating of this often refuted way of argumentation is another symptom that points to your poor understanding of how things work. There's no single, unified "we" that develops the software you're using; it's all coming from an extremely decentralized workforce, and being put back together by the core Ubuntu developers. The people who work on the "beta 3D GUI"s cannot, and/or do not want to work on what you think are the top priorities. Your line of thinking is flawed in multiple ways:

- You can't expect a low level graphics programmer to hack filesystems, or work on usability. You should regard it as a blessing that people who work on Beryl aren't working on filesystems in their spare time; they'd make such a mess. You wouldn't be able to clear it up yourself, and you would end up with an unusable OS, and indeed, it would delay the long awaited, glorious, irreversible overtake of the mainstream market by Linux by thirty years. There's a reason things work the way they do.

- You can't expect a developer to work on something they aren't interested in. Would you put thirty hours of seriously dedicated work a week into something you have no interest in, without payment?

- Completely beside the point, but just since it illustrates another common misunderstanding you share: the "beta 3D GUIs" in your wording aren't just meant as eye candy; the underlying structure they utilize is meant to let your GPU do the dirty work that's on the shoulders of your CPU at the moment. In the long run, this endeavor isn't so worthless as to be dismissed as "useless eye candy that I'd gladly forfeit in place of [insert popular feature / fix]".

And there are multiple technical reasons why the graphical device manager is just a device viewer, which have to do with how the kernel works, so on. In short, since you're new to the FOSS paradigm, you lack a thorough understanding of why certain things work the way they do, or fail the way they do, and it's to be expected, it's nothing abnormal. Those who know the system inside out started just like you; they weren't born with knowledge of how to do good bug reporting and how particular system components interact. They looked around, asked questions, read documentation, made workable, consistent demands, and got them implemented. They didn't need a Digg-like interface with a million visitors a week to make things what they are today.

Expecting results from a purely democratic survey in the vein of Idea Storm to have a binding bearing on development is completely unrealistic, and if it did happen, it would be a shortcut to catastrophe. Schemes such as the forum ambassadors idea are much better ways of dealing with the gap between the developers and end users.

Some of the above may sound harsh, but it's the only way I can put things, and none of it is meant as an offense to you. I don't regard lack of knowledge as something to be ashamed of, and I don't regard having a slight bit further awareness of how things work as a means to snobbery, so take what I say as not as a belittling of your position, but a neutral take on your points.
    Last edited by 23meg; March 22nd, 2007 at 03:41 PM.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro

- Completely beside the point, but just since it illustrates another common misunderstanding you share: the "beta 3D GUIs" in your wording aren't just meant as eye candy; the underlying structure they utilize is meant to let your GPU do the dirty work that's on the shoulders of your CPU at the moment. In the long run, this endeavor isn't so worthless as to be dismissed as "useless eye candy that I'd gladly forfeit in place of [insert popular feature / fix]".
    Off-topic: the underlying technical goal--shifting windowing to the GPU--is laudable. The current implementations, however, tend to focus too much on bling for my tastes. I'm hoping Metisse stimulates useful discussion and thinking on desktop user environments.

At the moment, Compiz and Beryl are like the famous Amiga "bouncing ball" demo--beautiful and impressive, and with exactly as much bearing on real usability as the Amiga bouncing ball.

Beans

Voting on Ideas

Here is an idea:

Use Pligg (www.pligg.com) to allow us to vote for our favorite ideas. The best ones float to the top, like ideastorm or digg.

This would help prioritize suggestions and feedback.

Honestly it just makes sense, look at the success of both ideastorm and digg.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast