• Other

7 6.93%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu Idea Storm?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Allow Us To Vote (like ideastorm, digg, etc.) On Ideas Here.

Quote Originally Posted by last1 View Post
    You gotta admit, even if it wouldn't be designed specifically to direct devs to prioritize certain things, enabling some kind of voting system would be a fun way to involve normal users and provide feedback to developers.
    I agree with that. It would just have to be "sold" properly so as not to give forum members unrealistic or just-plain-wrong expectations.

Beans

I agree as well; of course it wouldn't hurt to have a demographic as long as it's non-binding. I just don't think it's a good idea to integrate it into the forums. It can be realized as an independent project if there's enough interest in it.

Beans

anyone here every thought about hosting a 3rd party website using pligg for ubuntu feature suggestions, bug reports, annoyances, etc...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What an awful idea..

Often it's better to allow people and developers to think big when it comes to solving problems. Users sledomly know how to solve things best and they are bad at saying what they really want, instead you get little bugs or things like "Make foo better" without having the how expanded.

I think Penn Jillette summed it up best: "Elton Johns Candle in the Wind is the most sold record of all time.... popular sure doesn't mean right". We have to admit that as users we have day to day experience with the system by we normally have little technical insight into how to solve issue and we suck at formulating what the exact problem areas are since we aren't good at thinking out of the box.

A direct democracy will never work for Ubuntu.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

um... lol...

Users don't know what they want! Especially if they are capable of running linux! LOLLLLLL

Hey dude! If we fellow Mensa members don't have a clue what we want... WhoTF does?

I quit watching television because the networks feel the same way as you.

LOL

[debunk]
    Your arguments are nonsense...

This forum (Gutsy Idea Pool) exists..... so OBVIOUSLY someone cares about what the users think, otherwise it wouldn't exist.

Also allowing people to vote for their favorite ideas wouldn't force anyone to do anything.

Furthermore allowing voting in this forum would add extra functionality.. there wouldn't be anymore +1 nonsense... Idea's "could" be ranked by their popularity.

This could be invaluable user feedback which otherwise would be unattainable.

Bugs, annoyances, suggestions, ideas... all prioritized by votes...

It doesn't force anyone to do anything, it gives invaluable information and user feedback, its prioritized.

[/debunk]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by maynoth View Post
    Here is an idea:

Use Pligg (www.pligg.com) to allow us to vote for our favorite ideas. The best ones float to the top, like ideastorm or digg.

This would help prioritize suggestions and feedback.

Honestly it just makes sense, look at the success of both ideastorm and digg.
    Fantastic idea!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maynoth
    This forum (Gutsy Idea Pool) exists..... so OBVIOUSLY someone cares about what the users think, otherwise it wouldn't exist.
    Nobody said that nobody cares what users think; how could that be possible anyway? It's just that merely statistical data based on popularity does not serve for anything other than being an indication of the current demands and trends of a small group of people (who frequent the development forums). How and in what priority those will actually be addressed is beyond non-technical users who have little or no knowledge of how things actually get done.

The proven and indispensible way of giving Free software developers feedback is reporting bugs, making well researched, well stated feature proposals, and providing usability feedback from a non-technical viewpoint (that most developers are assumed to lack). Crowds raising hands in masses and someone counting those hands doesn't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by maynoth
    Also allowing people to vote for their favorite ideas wouldn't force anyone to do anything.

Furthermore allowing voting in this forum would add extra functionality.. there wouldn't be anymore +1 nonsense... Idea's "could" be ranked by their popularity.

It doesn't force anyone to do anything, it gives invaluable information and user feedback, its prioritized.
    To rephrase what I said in my first post, many people are already under the illusion that posting an idea thread or writing a spec alone puts an obligation or pressure on developers to do things, and if realized, your proposal would only reinforce that illusion.

Why don't you start a separate website if you feel very strongly about this? You can then announce it in the forums, and people interested in participating will do so. I'm sure many will; actually, if you announce it appropriately, probably more people than would if it were a feature integrated into the Idea Pool.
    Last edited by 23meg; May 15th, 2007 at 03:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by maynoth View Post
    um... lol...

Users don't know what they want! Especially if they are capable of running linux! LOLLLLLL

Hey dude! If we fellow Mensa members don't have a clue what we want... WhoTF does?

I quit watching television because the networks feel the same way as you.

LOL

[debunk]
    Your arguments are nonsense...

[/debunk]
    On a personal note I'd wish you'd argue on the facts rather than ad homiem attacks.

Popularity is no indication of importance nor is it a good indicator of the root of any issue. Something like HAL which didn't exist when I started using Linux, trust me only a few users knew we needed this, we saw a problem namely when we inserted a CD we had to manually mount it. It took Havoc Pennington to examine the problem and post a a long article to formulate the exact issues and how to fit it into our stack before someone even started implementing it.

If the developers had just provided a hack around to make mounting work, we'd never have had HAL today nor any of the things it now enables us to do. When HAL first came around there were a lot of disbelievers, it would never work and so on.. today they are few and far between. Often times it takes a visionary to turn ordinary complaints into the formulation of what the real problem is and how to create the car rather than the better horse the users are asking for.

I never said we should not listen to users but we should realise that when users complain over something, it pays off to examine why they complain - if we can design something to do what they really want better instead of fixing the small thing they complain about then I think that is a better idea. Users are not always right, e.g. did you know you wanted Upstart or did you ask for a faster boot? They aren't the same, I could easily give you a faster boot using the existing init but we would not see the benefits from a redesign, Scott knew better than his users.. period.

Another problem with voting is who is voting, will it be a fair representation of our userbase (especially now that Dell are our new bestfriends) or will it be a biased small group of people tipping the scale. It's easy to vote, it's not easy to explain why and have a meaningful debate on the facts. Will we see ballot stuffing or other kinds of tampering. How do we know a poll gives a valid result? Do we have the infrastructure and the means to get a representative view of our users, do we address the cause of a problem..
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Beans

The only valid argument you make against voting is ballot stuffing.

I would argue that it would not be as big an issue here. What agenda or ulterior motives do these users have? On digg and other sites cheating happens because of revenue from advertising on blogs.

Beans

23meg,

I have been debating starting my own site, as you suggest. However if it doesn't have the blessings of the community (which by the sound of it, it doesn't) I doubt it would be of any use to anyone.

If the Dev's don't know, care or read about it, what good would it do? *sounds like some horrible zen koan*

On the long shot that it did become a hit, I would end up with the server bills I can just imagine getting /.ed or dugg... oi!

I may however go forward with this idea in a few months, I honestly believe it has lots of potential, despite what everyone else thinks.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast