Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is Firefox bloated and more resource-intensive than it used to be??

Beans

why is Firefox bloated and more resource-intensive than it used to be??

I have been using Firefox for awhile but recently when using it on a PC w/ 1.6GHz P4 and 512MB RAM (as opposed to an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 and 2GB DDR2 RAM) I noticed that it seems to be running a bit slower than it should. Honestly, a web browser should run fast on a machine w/ decent hardware. I have about 8-9 extensions and I ask why do extensions have to bloat firefox and make it run slower?? why can't they only use resources when they are being used?

FireFox.. please.. stop being so bloated! I used to look to you for my web browsing and your sluggishness (especially in Ubuntu!!) has turned me to Opera.. but Opera doesn't have as much functionality as you FireFox with your great extensions. When someone else was using Firefox in Ubuntu when they were over it was loading webpages so slow they actually asked what was wrong w/ my PC.. sad indeed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: why is Firefox bloated and more resource-intensive than it used to be??

Ah. So I haven't been the only one who notices.

It runs okay on my laptop, and Dell, but it runs quite slow on the Compaq (okayokayokay, it is a PII 400 Mhz 384 MB RAM) Tried Swiftfox, runs a bit better, but I'm quite impressed with Opera on this old machine. I wasn't expecting much, and it is much faster. Opens faster, browses faster, even with lots of tabs open. My only beef with Opera is it's more prone to crash. When that happens it gobbles up all the CPU power. (I have tried Dillo and Epiphany and don't like either one.)

But, I have hope for FF. I've heard version 3 is much faster.
    · Compaq Presario 5630 PII, 400 Mhz, 384 MB RAM: Arch with XFCE 4.6, Antix, Debian w/LDXE
    · Dell Dimension 8200, P4 2.2Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10 and Windows 7 (vrtualbox)
    · Thinkpad R40, P4 M 2.0 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Firefox has always been slow for me, even on Windows.

I'm waiting out for Atlantis.

Beans

You need to post that on the mozilla forums. There's nothing anyone here can do about it. Have you even looked/tried any firefox tips/tricks/tweaks that are scattered all over the web? I have no problems with speed, pages load in seconds depending on the site, some just use slow servers. According to fasterfox i'm averaging around 6.0 seconds here on these forums, which is slow but decent, the forum servers have always been laggy, on most sites it only takes 1.0 to 3.0 seconds to load.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by picpak View Post
    Firefox has always been slow for me, even on Windows.

I'm waiting out for Atlantis.
    Interesting. I had never heard of this before. It looks like it will be great for low end machines or for simple web browsing. Other lightweight browsers like Dillo are fast, but they really screw up the rendering of pages. It's always irked me a little that I have never found a linux solution as fast as Windows 98 + IE6 for an old computer I mess around with.

-teet

Beans

those tweaks in there seem to be something prone to screw up. I don't really feel comfortable changing those sort of things..

are there official speed tweaks on mozilla.org?? Opera always seems to load pages faster than firefox does. Firefox is obviously getting more bloated as I am adding extensions but I really use those extensions.. so either less extensions and search engines in the search toolbar and be fast or use the extensions that make firefox more useful and have it be slower.
    Last edited by billdotson; March 14th, 2007 at 03:38 AM.

Beans

It's really not the browsing speed of Firefox that's troublesome; It's fine on that front. 2.0 Even compares to Opera.

It's Firefox's interface that makes it slow. The XUL interface gobbles up lots of memory, especially when there's lots of extensions. As such, it's a lot less responsive on older computers. and yeah, that sucks.

They just need to improve memory management features and it will be better.

As a browser, I personally don't even like firefox that much. I most definitely prefer Opera; what can I say, it's a superior browser. The only reason I stay with Firefox is for the extensions. They're killer, and they're what keep me around. I love them, and I use them. They're handy. I'd be fine with keeping firefox if they fixed their horrible memory management.

Beans

but page rendering is going to be affected by how sluggish firefox is running isn't it? is Firefox 3.0 going to fix the sluggishness so that adding extra entensions won't bloat it up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

This doesn't really apply directly to the original poster, but it's just something I feel like saying regarding the b-word:

Some people don't like Opera because it's bloated: they claim it has too many features they won't use. Others don't like Firefox because it's bloated: they claim they experience sluggish behavior. Both products are labeled as being bloated, though they have very different problems: Opera runs well, despite having too many features; Firefox is sluggish, despite not having an excessive amount of features (though some would argue on this point).

So, when is it more appropriate to use the word 'bloat'? Is either use okay, or neither?

I don't mean to be overly critical. I use the word, too, but it's just starting to seem like a bad word to use to describe problems.

This seems like an issue that has probably been discussed to death in forums and mailing lists over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by billdotson View Post
    I have about 8-9 extensions and I ask why do extensions have to bloat firefox and make it run slower?? why can't they only use resources when they are being used?
    Mozilla can't be responsible for all the extensions people develop. It's the author's responsibility to make sure their extension runs well.

I recently came across an extension which apparently slowed down Firefox a considerable amount. In order to fix that issue, the extension's developer rewrote (or is in the process of rewriting) the extension is C++ to get much better performance. I thought that was pretty cool.
    Last edited by banjobacon; March 14th, 2007 at 05:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast