Page 2 of 214 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool applications you use that others might not know of

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Cool applications you use that others might not know of

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan
    Htop is a fine alternative to top, try it out, it is in the repositories.
    ++ to this. I was going to suggest it, but I am mildly surprised someone beat me to it.

Beans

I second filelight.

It makes a multilayered pi chart of your harddrive usage. (So you get a graphical feel for not only which directories are taking up the most space, but also what subdirectories inside of that and so on.) This is the best program I have ever used to look at disk usage.

Another that I really like is rtorrent.

Basically, it's an ncurses based command line torrent manager...it feels as if my downloads are quicker, and I know it uses a lot less of my system resources than anything else I tried.

Beans
    Hidden!

First one that comes to mind is PCManFM, which I usually dub as Thunar with tabs. It's a great little file manager.
    N800 in my pocket, Acer 1410 in my backpack, Thinkpad X31 on a shrine

Beans
    Hidden!

good thread, i'm definitely giving some of these applications a shot.

There are two scripts in my signature that I know no one uses but me. Included in these scripts is:

theyoke: a very simple CLI rss aggregator. it's good to use in conjunction with wget or some other application for grabbing files or posts.

youtube-dl: command line program for downloading youtube videos.

----------------

some others I use that aren't super popular:

Stellarium: In my mind, the best astronomy program. I like it much better than celestia because it's like looking at the night's sky from your house.

hellanzb: I don't know why it's not more popular. I guess because torrents are more popular than usenet. but for grabbing binary files, it's definitely the best program that exists.

gcolor2: a very nice program for web development. it will tell you the color of anything on your computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm going to add a throw for Ex Falso. This is an ID3 tag editor that let's you generator the tags on the fly. Do clusters, directories, albums, by filename, etc. It also allows you to set your preferred tagging method and file renaming. So if you get a bunch of new music off of a CD you just put on your drive, and want to tag and move them easily, Ex Falso will move and rename the files tagging them for you. It takes a bit to really see the power the application has... but it's well worth the curve if you have a decent size music directory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I too found filelight very useful. Well disigned little program.

I have come to offer streamtuner coupled with streamripper. Streamripper takes all the online radio stations from shoutcast and many other online radio station hosts, and creates an easy to use browser for radio stations based on genre. With streamripper you can easily rip the music that is being streamed to your computer (a very easy way to accumulate a nice music library), but very illegal. Just set streamripper to not reconnect when you have been kicked from a server and no one will ever find out
    And everyone thought I was crazy because all I wanted was noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles noodles...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great idea for a thread. I'm already finding cool things.

yakuake. KDE app. This is a godsend for people who like the terminal to always be accessible. You can assign a keyboard shortcut, and when you hit it yakuake flies out and gives you a terminal immediately. My shortcut is Ctrl + Spacebar. You can control the speed of the animation too if you want it to happen faster. It sits in memory so is always ready. Keeps my hand off the mouse reaching down to my toolbar to execute, and frees up that screen real estate since I no longer have a need for a shortcut to Konsole. You can also have tabbed terminals within yakuake, and matched with GNU screen you never will need another terminal program.

Mirage, which is a very straightforward GTK image viewer. Does resizing, conversion and some other things. I use it on old machines that would suffer under the Gimp.

ePDFView, which is similar in that it's a simple, lightweight PDF viewer (as you might have imagined) built on GTK. No Gnome deps.

Leafpad, GTK notepad-like editor. Does it exactly that, and not a stitch more. But that's what I like about it.

Qingy, a framebuffer substitute for getty (think: login manager) that is much, much lighter than KDM/GDM and looks better than XDM/WDM.

Kazehakase, which is a Gecko-based browser that will run circles around Firefox, especially on older machines.

lxpanel, because Openbox users need to dump PyPanel.

xcompmgr, because Openbox users can do transparency too.

Xfe or PCManFM, if you can be bothered to choose. PCManFM has more features and looks better, but Xfe is about the fastest graphical file manager I can find, and the 0.98 version actually looks good for a change.

rxvt-unicode, by far the best-looking terminal emulator, for my money.

+1 for Deluge, HTop, gColor2, Audacious and rtorrent. Special runner-up prize to Midnight Commander.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I find (Quad-lock) UnitConverter.exe very useful. It has Lots of conversion categories. Will work OK in Ubuntu with Wine.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by userundefine View Post
    Great idea for a thread. I'm already finding cool things.

yakuake. KDE app. This is a godsend for people who like the terminal to always be accessible. You can assign a keyboard shortcut, and when you hit it yakuake flies out and gives you a terminal immediately. My shortcut is Ctrl + Spacebar. You can control the speed of the animation too if you want it to happen faster. It sits in memory so is always ready. Keeps my hand off the mouse reaching down to my toolbar to execute, and frees up that screen real estate since I no longer have a need for a shortcut to Konsole. You can also have tabbed terminals within yakuake, and matched with GNU screen you never will need another terminal program.
    And for those who don't want KDE deps, and prefer a GTK alternative:
    Tilda
    IESVS FELLAT IN INFERNVM

Page 2 of 214 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast