Page 11 of 214 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool applications you use that others might not know of

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Cool applications you use that others might not know of

Glipper - a great clipboard manager, it's on the repos.
    Avant Window Navigator - very slick dock, requires beryl for it to display correctly.
    jUploadr - java app to upload pictures to flickr, much better than the official windows one.
    Gnome Subtitles - the first subtitle editor in Gnome, to my knowledge, that features video preview. Great little piece of software.
    GCStar - want to make a database of all your dvds, books...? This is the right app to do it with.

Beans

Well not sure how many people this is useful for, but i love gco (gnome comic organiser) it lets you database comics as well as adding up the cover price, its simple too

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ArtificialSynapse View Post
    Hmm... so I got this installed and I load it up but I can't find to any key or command that will do anything, it just sits there at the main screen, what do I do?!
    Z and X are the only action keys, and the arrow keys move. In the default game mode, Z shoots and X uses your shields. Try the very last level, it's insane.

Beans

I use Zim desktop wiki, its good for taking down notes
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Debian.exe - Aside from having the best domain on the internet (http://goodbye-microsoft.com/), it's a fantastic tool which works seamlessly. Differs from Ubuntu's equivalent because it doesn't install Debian in the Windows partition, it's basically the netinstall CD without the need for a CD. Very, very useful for getting Debian on machines with no CD/USB/Floppy.

viruskiller - Game in the repos. Nuke little green viruses which come flooding into your folders from IE, MSN, Outlook and the Recycle Bin http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/virusKiller.php
    Lose all your fears, they're keeping you down.
    Windows-Free since 2nd September 2006

Beans

Has anyone mentioned Claws-Mail or Sylpheed Claws?

IMHO it's the best GTK e-mail client out there, and i prefer it to Evolution and Thunderbird (but i'm a suspect since i don't even use Firefox =P. i use kazehakase, already mentioned in this thread )
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by molgar View Post
    GCStar - want to make a database of all your dvds, books...? This is the right app to do it with.
    Thanks for mentioning gcstar, molgar. I've dowloaded it and it looks impressive and a bit more sophisticated than alexandria. For those who want to try it, I've found some debs here. Strangely enough this did not solve all my dependencies, and I still needed to install xml::simple (libxml-simpleobject-libxml-perl libxml-simpleobject-enhanced-perl libxml-simple-perl libxml-simpleobject-perl) manually for it to work.

I don't know if it will replace alexandria on my laptop, but it is good to have it nonetheless.
    Last edited by urukrama; March 22nd, 2007 at 01:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i'm using "coffeetalk" which is text based damn small software for who can not choose which coffee would like to drink at starbucks...

http://www.linux.org/apps/AppId_952.html

i would like to change it in order to my local coffeeshop, when i would capable to do that haha there is sometime to do that...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

the best dictionary that i've found is stardict. it allows ther user to add to the dictionaries (eg add computer dictionaries, geological dictionaries, etc). it even pronounces words where the pronunciation is unclear. other applications that others probably haven't heard of that i use include:
    -solfege - ear training application.
    -mtpaint - a paint type program.
    -desktop data manager - great for screenshots because it allows you to specifiy a screen area as an alternative to capturing the whole screen.
    -meld - an application to find and highlight the differences between any 2 or 3 different files.
    -regexxer - a search and replace text tool.
    -fslint- an application that finds: duplicate files, installed packages,
    bad names, name clashes, temp files, bad symlinks, bad IDs, empty directories, non-stripped binaries, and redundant whitespaces.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yakuake a must-have quake-termnal for those who find themselfs frequently using the terminal. It's in the repos.

Page 11 of 214 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast