Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnome-Do

Beans

Re: Quicksilver

I know the difference between what Tracker / Beagle / Xesam do and what GNOME Do does.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsiegel
    nice integration with search tools like Tracker / Beagle / Xesam.
    That was just what I had on mind. Say, I have a document called reeguyrewgu43g.odt, but its title is "My Aristotle Paper", or I've tagged it "Aristotle"; I type "aris.." in Do, and it brings it up. Like how Deskbar works, with the Tracker Live Search extension.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well does Do also index files? Tried by typing in the filename of a PDF I have in a subdirectoy of my /home. Do proposed me to open it in Firefox. But that was it.

Which kinda leeds me to the second thing Im wondering. If it does indeed index files wouldn't it be clever to use an existing tracker/beagle/watever index database, than to have a seperate indexer running. Not saying: make it like deskbar + tracker. My point is just that it would use more ressources two have two indexer running. So you could just use an existing one. Although I don't know if Tracker indexes the information about files that Do needs/looks for.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I very much doubt you will ever get near the beauty of Quicksilver. It's now open source, has always been hugly extensible to do anything from launching programs to FTPing files to resizing images, with the press of a few keys. No Linux application will ever get near that kind of elegance, simplicity or usability.

Yup, im about to get flamed. Just my opinion...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

so .... how do i pull up gnome-do? i also can't find my ~/.do folder to put the plugins in. i like what i'm seeing so far though, i'd just like to be able to pull gnome do up. when i opened in from my applications/accessories i went to the down arrow in the top right and preferences was grayed out.

thanks.
    -russ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

win-space will call it up, then just start typing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

got it. can't find my ~/.do folder though.

~ is home isn't it? because it's not in there (i realize it's hidden).
    -russ

Beans

Great app, it's very promising and I'm looking forward to future release's.

One problem though, I can't find a .do folder in my home directory, do I have to create one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dmber View Post
    got it. can't find my ~/.do folder though.

~ is home isn't it? because it's not in there (i realize it's hidden).
    I had to create mine myself. I don't think it exists unitl you create it.
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by ripdog View Post
    I very much doubt you will ever get near the beauty of Quicksilver. It's now open source, has always been hugly extensible to do anything from launching programs to FTPing files to resizing images, with the press of a few keys. No Linux application will ever get near that kind of elegance, simplicity or usability.

Yup, im about to get flamed. Just my opinion...
    Nothing to flame you on. I agree, it is nice. But partially because it tied so well into the OSX system. Trying it on a more open environment like Windows or Linux is going lead to problems (and require programs to include some keys or plugins for it). Or have the program itself have plugins for it (like gnome-do). It's the same problem Windows quicksilver like programs have. For example in Windows I use DASH and FARR (find and run robot). Both of them require plugins to expand what they can do. For example you can't do FTP because there isn't a default FTP program in either OS. Well there's probably one in Linux but I haven't used it so I wouldn't know .
    "I thought what I'd do was I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows XP
    Laptop: Ubuntu 9.10, Windows Vista (soon to be replaced by Windows 7)
    n800: Diablo/Maemo 4 (one day Mer..)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

first of all i LOVE what gnome-do has going so far.

now, i have zero programming skills, so these are just suggestions, although they are pretty obvious ones -- taken from QS:

1. i'd like a . command for the text box
    2. i used the comma trick all the time with QS
    3. it would be nice to get the "indirect object" involved. i realize that would involve adding move, copy, etc. to the actions.

aside from suggestions, i have a question. when i use the "chat" action, my IM window comes up, but it's in the background. i expected it to be focused when i entered it as my action.

thanks for the great app...this is an awesome start.
    -russ

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast