Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or Xubuntu?

The release for KDE 4 is suppose to be in the next few months and the Kubuntu edition of Feisty Fawn is suppose to allow users to incorporate KDE 4 before its officially supported which is expected to be sometime in the third quarter of '07. Do you know if GNOME 2.18 has any true enhancements or is it mainly bug fixes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Do you know if GNOME 2.18 has any true enhancements or is it mainly bug fixes?
    i don't know. i didn't bother to read it, but i saw the article posted on OS News(i think) or digg last week.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aaronfulton View Post
    The release for KDE 4 is suppose to be in the next few months
    That's pretty optimistic - there's at least some doubt amongst the core devs about it coming out this year, even.

Personally, I'd estimate about a 70% chance of it coming out this year, and about 95% chance of it coming out before this time next year.

Edit:

This is what the bot on #kde is programmed to say:

"The next major revision of KDE -- KDE 4.0 -- will be released when it's ready, not before. We don't know when that will be, despite articles saying the contrary. It will likely be in 2007 or 2008."
    Last edited by GeneralZod; March 9th, 2007 at 07:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've merged this with a couple of other, similar threads.

Beans

http://community.linux.com/article.p...34209&from=rss
    The article is a bit old but if you look at the current development state and the latest tech relase form back in February they seem to be on track to release it fairly soon! I used to use Suse and miss having the ability to switch between 8 different desktop environment. Especially Fluxbox and Blackbox. I know that with Fiesty Fawn there is suppose to be a Fluxbuntu flavor released but need a more robust desktop environment from time to time and need the ability to switch. Does any have a how to on using Ubuntu with multiple desktop environments?
    Last edited by aaronfulton; March 10th, 2007 at 03:42 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345