Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warty 4.10 versus Hoary 5.04?!

Beans

Wink Warty 4.10 versus Hoary 5.04?!

If your look at the Warty section of the forum it seems that Warty is still very much used. What would be the advantages to keep using Warty instead Hoary?

Is Warty better in some ways then Hoary? Or doesn't Hoary have that much advantage over Warty?

Just asking out of curiosity.....

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Warty 4.10 versus Hoary 5.04?!

if you want a system that will be a server, or something that will have to be working for a long time with no breakage, use Warty. If you want more up to date packages, and the majority of the community's support, use Hoary.

If you are a deranged maniac who hates X, use Breezy j/k

i use hoary

Beans

Can Warty be considered a Debian Stable release?

Beans

Warty was the stable version while Hoary was being developed.
    Hoary has been released, so it is stable. I can think of no good reasons to use Warty.

Right now Breezy is going thru some MAJOR revisions, so things are very unstable, and it is almost unusable unless you really know how to manually edit the config files to fix things.

Use Hoary.
    ... see you here, there, or in the air!

Beans

I know that Hoary is now the stable version of Ubuntu, but in Debian terms it's an unstable version, since Debian has really lengthy testing procedures.

But is Warty really more stable then Hoary?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maspro
    Some people don't like to risk breaking things if they have them how they want.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    Some people don't like to risk breaking things if they have them how they want.
    well put, poofy

i think an advantage of warty is gnome 2.6 (2.8?)... it was the last good release, IMO

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benplaut
    well put, poofy

i think an advantage of warty is gnome 2.6 (2.8?)... it was the last good release, IMO
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Warty has had a longer run, so more security bugs would have been fixed. The security support for a release is 18 months isn't it? Hoarys update period has barely started ..

That said, Hoary should still be stable I think .. personally I am on Breezy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maspro
    If your look at the Warty section of the forum it seems that Warty is still very much used. What would be the advantages to keep using Warty instead Hoary?

Is Warty better in some ways then Hoary? Or doesn't Hoary have that much advantage over Warty?

Not a technical reason really, but once you have something installed and working and you do not require the new features of the next version, you may not want to upgrade to avoid breakage (if any).
    If you are installing a new system, go Hoary.

One note though, you will eventually want to upgrade, it seems that you cannot skip releases, so Warty -> Breezy will not work, you need to go through Hoary.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast