Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Compatibility List Idea - Room for Improvement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hardware Compatibility List Idea - Room for Improvement?

While the hardware compatibility lists on the Ubuntu website and elsewhere on the net are very useful, I have yet to find a list that gives simple recommendations for what pre-built systems to buy except for a few Linux computer vendor sites. I'm sure someone else has suggested this before but I want to suggest it because I can't find anyone else talking about this. I think a lot of people could benefit from it.

I believe many consumers would follow recommendations for which new desktops and laptops to buy that are Ubuntu compatible. A system for a beginner that works out-of-the-box. Perhaps some extremely minor tweaks allowed, but completely working out of the box is really preferred. I think those manufacturers who use Linux-compatible hardware deserve to get the Linux consumers. I know there are some computer companies which sell Linux, but they are often more on the expensive side.

For example, if someone buys a new computer from Dell (and can get a discount for returning or not having Windows pre-installed would be a bonus), and everything works out of the box, I think it's worthy to be mentioned loudly. Put it on a platinum/gold/premium/perfect/award/whatever list that's fairly visible on the Ubuntu site, so that if users want to purchase a computer for running Ubuntu they have a quick and easy one-stop list to visit, and it helps encourage computer vendors to be Linux friendly.

The world is filled with those who know next to nothing about computers. I think this could possibly really help out a lot of people by steering them in the right direction. As of now, it's like "well...try out the live CD, and hope that it all works OK on your new machine" instead of "I recommend this model here, it works perfectly with Ubuntu". I think many people wanting to recommend Ubuntu to others would love to be able to say the latter statement. I like building my own system, but 80% or more of the rest of the world doesn't.

With the talk that Dell and HP are thinking about offering Linux to the normal masses on desktops and/or laptops (not counting the stuff that is buried on their sites instead of being visible and in the "home users" section), but *really* giving average people a chance to select Linux with *visible* savings by doing so, I think now is an even better time to promote those vendors who do provide compatibility.

What do ya'll think, or is someone working on such a project already? Good idea, bad idea, useless idea, wrong forum?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hardware Compatibility List Idea - Room for Improvement?

I'm working on it.

The dohickey project will allow anyone with an existing system from say Dell or HP to rate the compatibility of each of the components; from information supplied from all users we work out how well a specific model is expected to work.

then another user only has to do a search to find the most compatible models and/or extra hardware.

http://dohickey.sourceforge.net
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

What happens if the model becomes more compatible?

Perhaps it would be good to only show to most recent comments by other users (but of course with an option to 'show all').

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The rating would be improved further ratings. the fact that the ratings are weighted in favour of your distribution and your linux version means that if a device is now supported then you will see a higher rating in your search for Ubuntu Feisty Fawn than for a search for Ubuntu Edgy Eft or Dapper Drake.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    The rating would be improved further ratings. the fact that the ratings are weighted in favour of your distribution and your linux version means that if a device is now supported then you will see a higher rating in your search for Ubuntu Feisty Fawn than for a search for Ubuntu Edgy Eft or Dapper Drake.
    Sounds awesome ^^ Of course, you could use any rating system, but maybe it could be like WineHQ where you'd have the model listed (even a link to where you can buy it would be cool too), and then you'd have the distros it's been tried on and they could be color coded like on WineHQ where if it's platinum it works perfectly, if gold it works with a few small tweaks, etc etc. http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=315

Maybe have the main page list the distro or distros that have been given the highest rating, then have a sub page for that particular model, like on WineHQ, showing you what needs to be done to get it working.

Or, some other layout, I dunno. Good luck on the project ^^

I might try to help out with your project if it weren't for the fact I'm already working on one, a big one, and I only have one other person to help so far since it's not even really public yet.
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; March 9th, 2007 at 04:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sounds awesome
    I hope so, but the amounts of data are quite large and the ability to fit the computer information with entered information is the true power.

Of course, you could use any rating system, but maybe it could be like WineHQ where you'd have the model listed (even a link to where you can buy it would be cool too), and then you'd have the distros it's been tried on and they could be color coded like on WineHQ where if it's platinum it works perfectly, if gold it works with a few small tweaks, etc etc. http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=315
    Nah WineHQ is far too inefficient, they only have a few thousand entries each single entry is managed by a single person and most entries don't work and aren't up to date. so no, winehq would be a really bad idea, I have much grander systems in mind where data management is done for you and the tools empower users with information instead of asking for so much work.

Maybe have the main page list the distro or distros that have been given the highest rating, then have a sub page for that particular model, like on WineHQ, showing you what needs to be done to get it working.
    The search will have a list of distro's which have the largest ratings as part of their information sheets.

Beans
    Distro

I hope so, but the amounts of data are quite large and the ability to fit the computer information with entered information is the true power.

Nah WineHQ is far too inefficient, they only have a few thousand entries each single entry is managed by a single person and most entries don't work and aren't up to date. so no, winehq would be a really bad idea, I have much grander systems in mind where data management is done for you and the tools empower users with information instead of asking for so much work.

The search will have a list of distro's which have the largest ratings as part of their information sheets.
    The easier it is for users to see what systems work the best and also allow them to add information, the better I guess. ^^ Good luck! As soon as you get a good setup going, it'll be the users that make it popular and supply your site with information. It's the framework that takes all the work of course That's why in my case I'm using a CMS to get something with lots of features up quickly, then modify things from that point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ah I figured a typical CMS wouldn't do because you never really get people on board that way. no one has pride in their system if the information is some place else and you have to manually enter id codes for hardware and system types.

Far better to have the system ship with the tool (python based) which links up hardware detection and information from the server and allows the user to enter information wiki style where missing (admin reviewed when sent back to server)

Working on the language translations at the moment so not just english is available. have you tried the client by the way? it's still alpha o'course.

Beans
    Distro

Ah I figured a typical CMS wouldn't do because you never really get people on board that way. no one has pride in their system if the information is some place else and you have to manually enter id codes for hardware and system types.

Far better to have the system ship with the tool (python based) which links up hardware detection and information from the server and allows the user to enter information wiki style where missing (admin reviewed when sent back to server)

Working on the language translations at the moment so not just english is available. have you tried the client by the way? it's still alpha o'course.
    After installation, a hardware information tool thingy comes up asking if you want to send back your hardware information to Ubuntu or whatnot, I do believe. However, it doesn't ask if you want to report which things are working and which aren't, to my knowledge. Perhaps you could have a simple optional questionnaire: Is your video working correctly? Is your sound working correctly? Etc. This would be more useful than just showing what hardware most people are running.

The client is a good idea, but it would need to be included in the distro and run after installation for it to see a lot of use, right alongside the hardware reporting tool perhaps. Like I said though, maybe you will have to combine your project with another project or jump onto the right bandwagon for it to get a lot of use. I'm wondering if there is a way to combine my project with Click 'n Run because of it's similar goals. I was thinking about making something similar for my project, a downloadable client, as well as a web interface, so that it could get more attention.
    Last edited by Yfrwlf; March 9th, 2007 at 10:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    After installation, a hardware information tool thingy comes up asking if you want to send back your hardware information to Ubuntu or whatnot, I do believe. However, it doesn't ask if you want to report which things are working and which aren't, to my knowledge. Perhaps you could have a simple optional questionnaire: Is your video working correctly? Is your sound working correctly? Etc. This would be more useful than just showing what hardware most people are running.

The client is a good idea, but it would need to be included in the distro and run after installation for it to see a lot of use, right alongside the hardware reporting tool perhaps. Like I said though, maybe you will have to combine your project with another project or jump onto the right bandwagon for it to get a lot of use. I'm wondering if there is a way to combine my project with Click 'n Run because of it's similar goals. I was thinking about making something similar for my project, a downloadable client, as well as a web interface, so that it could get more attention.
    It does ask you what is working and what is not, goes through a little wizard testing different things (ie plays a sound and asks, did you hear a sound)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast