Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Introductory Posting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Introductory Posting

Greetings!

I am Austin, from Rolling Prairie! Not far from South Bend.

I'm fairly young, just 15, but an avid fan of Ubuntu. I'm currently running 9.04.

I look forward to being part of the community.
    You can always improve perfection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello all,

My name is Rob. I am from the Indy area. I have been playing around with Ubuntu since 2006. I am currently running 9,04 on my main machine and a couple of servers I am building / using.

Glad to see a local community of Ubuntu users.
    =========================================

We are drowning in information, but starved for knowledge....

Beans

HI

I am from Garrett, Indiana and just north of Fort Wayne. I am running 9.04 and looking forward to learning ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Old timer, currently Beta Testing Karmic. Just a short post here to say hi; will intro on the main board.
    Last edited by emarkay; October 11th, 2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell P390,Pentium D 3.4G,4G R,NVIDIA GT360
    Ubuntu 16.04-Dell DE520,Pentium D 2.80G, 3G R,NVIDIA GeForce9500GT
    Ubuntu 18.04-Dell PM90,Intel T2600 2.1G,4G R,NVIDIA Quadro FX 500M
    Ubuntu 18.04-HP 15-F233wm,Celeron N3050 1.6G,4G R,Intel HD

Beans

Hi.... Im Jim and I am a TOTAL LINUX NOOB.....

Im on my third week using linux..... I would love to say that its been fun, but to be honest it is very frustrating so far and there have been many times I have looked over at my beloved windows copies...

However, I am getting older and I do love computers so I am trying.

I live in a small town called Williamsport Indiana... We are about 40 mins from Lafayette, and hour plus to the west side of Indy, and 2 hours from chicago, or pretty much smack dab in the middle all the way to the west side of Indiana.

Unlike many of the folks using Linux, I am not doing so out of some kind of windows hate.... I simply want to learn....

My progects for this winter are to build the MYTH TV system and then put it out at my camp ground this summer so I can have some dang TV! I also want to make a Server to house all of my precious tv shows and divy them out to the people I like. The camp ground is threatening to get high speed internet so I might also want to make a hot spot with a walled garden so I can control lil Johnny.

I was in the US Army and then an electrician and then I owned a small Wireless Internet Service for a few years.

I am bearing down on 50, disabled, kids are grown, wife has at least three boy friends, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 brother.....

Anyhow, I am hoping to make some linux buddies...

I hope that is enough of an intro???

Be well guys

Jim

Beans

Greetings~

I happen to be an Indiana resident.

I program. You name it. (ok, well, I haven't done much Assembly programming...yet)

I also use Ubuntu Linux...though I've got my eye on Fedora/Knoppix/Slackware/OpenBSD...which I may or may not one day install.

I grew up on Windows (95,98,2000,XP), never really liked it, customized my first Windows machine to hell, then got annoyed with viruses the second time it got infected. That, and hated the inevitable performance bloat that comes with using any of those machines too long.

For most of my high-school career, I was in love with Mac OSX. I'd still use XP when I had to, but I infinitely preferred OSX, especially the little thing called Terminal that could do so many neat tricks, in comparison to the arcane "Command Prompt" in Windows. I actually ran my first triple boot on a MAC, with Ubuntu.

Since then, I've lost access to that machine, and have only been using XP/Windows 7/Ubuntu. XP is ok inside a virtual machine when I have a discerning executable to run, I like bits and pieces of Windows 7, but I do most of my work on Ubuntu these days.

I'm no longer a senseless Mac fan, but I still infinitely prefer *nix machines. I'm hoping to learn Ubuntu's system enough to start helping out...though I have a deal of customization left to do, and I don't intend to be a loyal Ubuntu fan.

I do plan, however, on being a devotee to the *nix effort, through Ubuntu.

I am a reverse bird - during the spring and winter months, I am located in the northern extremities, nearby Angola. During the summer months, I am likely located in central Indiana, namely Indianapolis.

So, for now, hello, I would like to be an active member.

...Also, I would like to clarify something:

Unlike many of the folks using Linux, I am not doing so out of some kind of windows hate.... I simply want to learn....
    Unlike the gentleman above me states, I don't think everyone, or even most, people using Linux hate Windows. This is certainly not my stance, I think a better way to put it is "prefer". In my case, that has been clarified with "infinitely", but its the same sort of preference I someone might have for chocolate ice-cream instead of...say strawberry.

Just trying to break the ignoramus stereotype of people who use Linux as Windows hating Zealots. I think most of the time people just can't resist it once they get into it, even if there is perhaps more of a learning barrier than Windows has.
    Last edited by LordDelta; February 3rd, 2011 at 01:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello, I'm Travis from Richmond, IN. I started using Ubuntu in 2006 and never looked back. Does much happen for Indiana Ubuntu folks? BTW, I'm launching a Richmond Linux User Group. There's a new thread for it, so check it out if you're near Richmond, or visit https://sites.google.com/site/richmondlinux/

Beans

Hello,

My name is John and I'm from the Greenwood area, just south of Indianapolis. I have had an aversion to Windows for years, and am finally making an effort to switch my home PCs to Linux, specifically Ubuntu. So far, I have been making pretty good progress, with only a couple things preventing me from completely removing the Widows partition of my dual-boot main home computer.

I have taken a rather unusual path to linux, as my job for the past 20 years or so has been as a Systems Programmer working on OS390 - z/OS on IBM mainframes. A couple years ago, my company purchased z/VM and as a result we brought up several guest SLES 10 guest servers running under it. As one of the main administrators of these Linux guests, I have a pretty good working knowledge of Linux in general from a server perspective. I also have some experience working on Solaris and AIX servers. Working on the highly proprietary Zseries, Pseries, and Sun hardware is, however, naturally quite a bit different than doing stuff in the workstation environment.

Well, that's pretty much where I come from. I hope to be an active participant in this group and would also like to eventually be able to provide some useful assistance of my own on occasion. Thanks.

John

Beans

Just thought I'd introduce myself a little bit:

I Live in S. IN. I work in telecom but am still very inexperienced. I'm pretty new to Ubuntu I used it a little bit in the past. I don't remember which version it might have been Karmic Koala. I've been really considering switching completely to Ubuntu for a while now(I'm just tired of windows). I'm probably going to start with a dual boot until I feel comfortable enough completely scratching windows. Just to make sure I can figure out how to get things working smoothly. I'm looking forward to the new experience.

Beans

Hi all, I am Scott From Anderson/Noblesville. I have just started using Ubuntu but have been using computers since my Commodore64 days. I am trying to get a Ubuntu server up and going as a virtual machine host for my businesses Small Business Server 2k11 installation. We have had problems in the past with hardware migration to new equipment, and I was thinking that by virtualizing, it would take some of that dependency out.

Scott

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast