Thread: The Beginner Team has started

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thumbs up The Beginner Team has started

The Beginner Team has started

The goals of the Beginner Team is to assist new users to :
    1. Evaluate Ubuntu to see if it will fit their needs.
    2. Obtain and boot Ubuntu.
    3. Install Ubuntu.
    4. Transition into Ubuntu.
    5. Become members of the Ubuntu community.

t

New users :

First, welcome to Ubuntu.

The Beginner Team is here to guide you, help you become familiar with a your new OS and the Ubuntu community.

Specific support questions are best directed to the Absolute Beginner Talk , General Help, or specific Main Support Categories. Within those forums you will receive assistance not only from the Beginners Team, but the Ubuntu Community as a whole.

If you have questions on how to use the Ubuntu forums, your user profile, PM, how to find the information you need quickly, how to become involved, etc feel free to post them in our sub-forum. Beginner Team

If you are interested in helping with the Beginner Team, please feel free to share you ideas with us on our sub-forum Beginner Team. If you are interested in joining the Beginners team it would be most helpful for you to start by becoming active on Absolute Beginner Talk.

Joining the team :

Well, to some extent, if you are active on the forums you are a part of the team. You are welcome to send me a join request, but please include as much specific information as possible with your request.

To those who have submitted a join request, please be patient. The Beginners Team is just starting and there is a strong general interest from within the Ubuntu community. It is my intent to build a knowledgeable and stable team. I anticipate the team will be both large and diverse, but it will take time to coordinate and develop.

~ Comments welcome ~

Peace be with you,

bodhi.zazen ~ Beginner Team Leader
    Last edited by ubuntu-geek; June 3rd, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: The Beginner Team has started

Good Luck with this worthy project. I am sure it will be most helpful to new users and others.
    regards

Beans

Question Re: The Beginner Team has started

I just downloaded Ubuntu last week. I need to get to servers that recongnize only Internet Explorer. I tried to download wine from their web site but their first instruction is to open a terminal window. How do I open a terminal window, what is a terminal window. Also, do you just copy and paste their codes into the "terminal window"?
    chebert http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Wow Hello and thanks,
    I am a keen home user who is trying to to get to grips with stuff. I'm finding just getting my head around simple things like downloading, where do files go, how to you then activate the file/application.
    One problem with the forum I think a lot of total noobs like me find is that there are lots of different levels of knowledge out there and a great variety of ways to fix things!
    It's strange that part of me wants the simplicity of click and install Windows stuff and the other wants to get involved in the whole terminal thing.

A good place to start would be installing a 2nd Gen iPod Nano. That would keep my wife happy and show her how good Ubuntu is! I think I've just about done it but it was very long winded and I haven't a clue what I did?!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Great idea! I'm greener than a sea sick lepricon when it comes to Linux, so I will take advantage of the help. Thanks!
    Answer an Unanswered Post TODAY!--Thank Someone Who Helped You TODAY!
    -------------------------------------------
    Registered Linux user: 443978; Registered Ubuntu user: 12615

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by chebert View Post
    I just downloaded Ubuntu last week. I need to get to servers that recongnize only Internet Explorer. I tried to download wine from their web site but their first instruction is to open a terminal window. How do I open a terminal window, what is a terminal window. Also, do you just copy and paste their codes into the "terminal window"?
    Internet Explorers for Linux:
    http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

Wine:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

You should open a new thread with a title of your problem by the way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is a great idea! Just what we need for the community, more beginner help

Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chebert View Post
    There is a plugin for Firefox called User Agent Switcher that lets you choose which browser it tells the web sites they are talking to. It won't help with malformed HTML or ActiveX, but it will help with a lot of sites that check for IE and then refusse to talk to you. In FF, go Tools->Add-ons and then get extensions (bottom right).

To open a terminal, it's under Accessories->Terminal. Yes, you can copy/paste the commands which is much more reliable than re-typing them.

Welcome to Ubuntu everybody.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have spent about 10 hours a day for the past 3 days on Absolute Beginner Talk finding people who have had my same goals and frustrations so that I can fix things up. The community for Ubuntu is amazing, especially for a n00b with a 64-bit processor trying to (among other trials and tribulations) communicate with a Lexmark printer... ouch!

Beans

We (the beginner team) are starting a "beginner guide" wiki and would like input from all users (especially beginners) about what would be most helpful to new users. Please visit our sub-forum here and post suggestions.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast