Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beginner Team has started

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The Beginner Team has started

How stable is Fiesty? I'm getting lots of probs with Flash in Edgy. No fun so might as well move on to Fiesty if not too difficult.

Rgds, Bob
    Itch: Think Hula hoop, positive on top, negative on bottom, roll it. Is it a wave or a particle? Is it a photon? Is a photon a dipole? Are we all made of light!

Beans

if your only experiencing flash issue-I'd NOT upgrade to feisty yet as you will possibly have far worse breakage.

Beans
    Distro

I'd like to help. There are many setbacks to new users. Ubuntu is a rich 'pick n mix' OS and it is very easy to pick sour chews and marshmallows which definately do not mix. We should identify what most users want, I suspect they want the web to work as number 1. That means all the plugins have to be right and clearly identified. (Flash is currently giving me problems and I have no idea what is on my system and what is not). We need to get people up and running with a default that ensures the web at least works for them. Just offering new users a choice when they have no way of knowing which is the best choice is a cop out. We have to get new users running and fully understanding what they have (and how they can return to it if things go wrong). Just a thought....Bob
    Itch: Think Hula hoop, positive on top, negative on bottom, roll it. Is it a wave or a particle? Is it a photon? Is a photon a dipole? Are we all made of light!

Beans

gnome add/remove the most basic way. If you fancy a little more info about things:- terminal
    Code:
    gksudo synaptic

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, will try it out. (I'm currently on my XP machine so can't do it just now). That was some lightning response!

Rgds, Bob

Beans

with synaptic I would suggest
    settings>preferences>general
    select
    show packages properties in main window

makes finding what and where something is installed, much easier

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, I'll give it a go. You're a great help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Just starting Ubuntu myself but still using the Live CD. I run a home built <3 years ago> machine with W2K, do a lot of ******* repairs and have been looking @ Linux for a little while now. Finding the Live CD's of Ubuntu and Puppy have been a godsend and as soon as I can get a larger HDD I plan on a dual/multi-boot setup with a FAT partition to continue my tech work and learn Linux. Have given several friends Live CD versions hoping to gain some local learning curve issues support and if it promotes Linux, kewl. Thx for a great forum and as things get going I'm sure you'll be hearing from me.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_Melly View Post
    Wow Hello and thanks,
    I am a keen home user who is trying to to get to grips with stuff. I'm finding just getting my head around simple things like downloading, where do files go, how to you then activate the file/application.
    One problem with the forum I think a lot of total noobs like me find is that there are lots of different levels of knowledge out there and a great variety of ways to fix things!
    It's strange that part of me wants the simplicity of click and install Windows stuff and the other wants to get involved in the whole terminal thing.
    Couldn't agree with you more. Exactly identical thoughts.
    I, especially lked your "It's strange that part of me wants the simplicity of click and install Windows stuff and the other wants to get involved in the whole terminal thing." Very beautifully put.

I am sure the beginner's team would be a great help.

J

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast