Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beginner Team has started

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: The Beginner Team has started

This is a great idea! I am glad you all have chosen to make this a specific goal, though I am sure you have already been helping us beginners a great deal already.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Great, thats me, a New Beginner! 5 days in so far, lots of things running, lots not running. I would like to contribute to a 'Getting Started' Manual with lots of how do's. E.g.

How do I load a Shuttle iPod?
    How do I watch the BBC News stream?
    How do I 'Skype' ?

AND... all to be done without a command line! (Yes, I know you Linux/Unix command line folks are very clever but you can't keep Ubuntu to just yourselves you know. It's too good for a niche market! Let the grey hairs have it too! We are a growing market!)

Kind Regards
    Bob

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bwallum View Post
    ... AND... all to be done without a command line! (Yes, I know you Linux/Unix command line folks are very clever but you can't keep Ubuntu to just yourselves you know. It's too good for a niche market! Let the grey hairs have it too! We are a growing market!)

Kind Regards
    Bob
    LOL , welcome bwallum !

This is a common sentiment as you start Linux. For better (IMO) or worse, the CLI is here to stay.

There is good reason from this and I think you will find that it is better in the long run to accept the CLI and learn how to use it.

Although I am sure you will find most experienced and satisfied users make heavy use of the CLI, although I am also certain there is a minority of long time users who avoid the CLI at all costs.

Learning the CLI, however, well take some time and is part of the transition process. This is an issue that is high on my priority list and I anticipate most, if not all how-to's will include a CLI solution. Why ? Because gui tools have limits and change over time.

To get you started, find your terminal in your menu. Drag it to the top (or bottom) panel. Now you can open a terminal fast.

Second, customize the terminal. You can change the color or transparency. Look the the menu otpions .

Third, start here : http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/CommandLineBeginners

Spend 5-10 minutes (daily, weekly ?) working through that document until you are comfortable the CLI.

One further tip : you can cut and paste commands from firefox to the terminal

If you have questions, post in the Beginners Team sub forum. I am sure "how to use the *&^% terminal" would be a popular thread and very helpful.

HTH
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

definitely would be interested in helping out anyway I can! Sent you an email bodhi, with a bit of info about myself and my "ubuntu experience"

Beans

This is the place! This forum is truly unlike no other. Great success Beginner Team! (some of us nOOBs really need you.

Beans

as part of the unanswered questions team, I think this is a great Idea-If it is possible to join more than one team I'd also join this one.

One of the things that can be improved is we have lots of documentation, but in various places=fragmented.

I feel a section about finding these sources, would both cut down on new users fustration and also allow more time to deal with questions that require more intervention.
    As currently the sticky on forum either doesn't contain enough information or people don't bother reading it?

eg. my wireless doesn't work
    we could explain that this is linux and some hardware needs a driver/ndiswrapper and point to wilki or ubuntu doc's.

This Beginner Team is a great idea.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm a noob! I'm a noob! Where's the forum??

Beans

See the link in my sig or my above post.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Talking Re: The Beginner Team has started

I've just been approved, and wanted to send a quick hi! to everyone.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast