View Poll Results: How did you find *nix and Ubuntu?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • A friend showed me the way

4 11.76%
  • Got frustrated with Windows and searched for an alternative

13 38.24%
  • Stumbled on it and decided it looked fun.

17 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How did my fellow Arkansans discover Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

How did my fellow Arkansans discover Ubuntu?

I'm curious.

I got involved with Linux roughly two years ago, when one of my friends loaned me a Knoppix Live CD. I did a little more research on my own about distros and then ordered the 5.10 CDs (I was still on dialup, then) and that's the end of that. I've been using Ubuntu since fall of 2005 or something like that.
    One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled. It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear. It was the age of.. gargoyles!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: How did my fellow Arkansans discover Ubuntu?

My instructor gave out the Live CD's at school in my Linux class.

Beans

Ubuntu wasn't the first GNU/Linux distro that I tried. After a few months of messing around with serveral differnt distros...some more popular than others....I finaly came across Ubuntu...I fell in love with 5.10, and I've been using Ubuntu since

Kenny

Beans

De Queen, Arkansas in the house.

I was looking for an alternative.

Beans

got bored and decided to take the plunge and figure out what linux really was and how it worked

only one thing i don't like about linux - my yahoo launchcast radio subscription is worthless now... for whatever reason, yahoo requires directx files from IE inorder to play the radio stations.. or something like that?

Beans

My lil ole story.

Well, I have been using Linux itself for about 5 years now. I first started out with Mandrake, and I wont say I loved it but it was better than using windows.

Then after awhile of using Mandrake I wanted to dip into another distro, so I chose Red Hat. I used RH for awhile and then it became Fedora(I've also used Knoppix and Debian).

I just got tired of using Fedora. I hated how things were working alright one min and then not. I hated how it gave me such a headache just to do simple things. So, I heard about Ubuntu and installed it and I fell inlove. I've been using it every since it first came out.

I'm currently running Edgy Eft w/ Beryl installed also. I'm going to upgrade soon. =)

Beans

I'm from Ward, Arkansas. 5 minutes away from Beebee and 30 minutes away from Little Rock. I've been using Ubuntu since edgy eft. Since then I've been loving the system. I am running Feisty now as a Dual boot with Windows XP. I am about to get a new computer in probably 2 months. When I do I am going to wipe the current computer and install Ubuntu as the only OS for that computer, while my wife keeps Windows.

Hopefully she will come around to see how much faster and better Linux is over windows. I'm a very new user. I don't do much in the way of command line in linux, which I would like to learn more command line stuff.

But so far I have not needed to use the command line very much. I am so glad to see the Ubuntu group in Arkansas. We should get together and have meetings either on IRC or in person.

Thanks,

Long live Ubuntu,
    Lance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lanceHowell View Post
    I am so glad to see the Ubuntu group in Arkansas. We should get together and have meetings either on IRC or in person.
    There are lots of Ubuntu users in the LUGs (Linux Users Groups) that already exist here -- check out http://www.arlug.org/ for contact information.

CARLUG http://www.carlug.org/ is getting ready for an Install Feast on June 16th at the Faulkner County Library http://fcl.org/ in Conway.

At an install feast we get together, eat pizza, install linux, trade (and buy and sell) hardware, eat pizza, give away door prizes (including books, plus often computers and peripherals), and of course we'll probably eat pizza. (There might be some donuts and chips and sodas, too.) Usually folks bring copies of their favorite distros to trade around too, and that certainly includes all flavors of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu....

Beans

That is great. I will be there.

Beans

Wink Re: How did my fellow Arkansans discover Ubuntu?

I'm a pretty big geek and have been my whole life, and am now a computer science major at UCA, and I think Linux is great and all..and I'm not hating on anybody or saying it's stupid or anything like that - I think it's great that there are Linux communities.. but to me for some reason it feels kind of odd/weird when I think about myself going to the Public Library for a Linux Party. Is that bad? I'm not trying to be mean or anything I just think it's kind of funny. If I had a friend to go with, I would probably show up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast