Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A Beginner "How To" for gtkrc themes.

Beans

Re: A Beginner "How To" for gtkrc themes.

Do you have a link to it?

Beans

thank you beryl much!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

this is an awesome find!! i can't wait to start creating. i just installed xubuntu and cant wait to wreck it...lol. i will post any thing i create that is good. just wondering, is it possible to use images for backgrounds in the menus, buttons, etc?

crimesaucer you rock!

TwoDogS out!
    Asus eeePC 1005ha Intel Atom N270 Intel Mobile 945GME Atheros AR9285 2g Crucial 250g hd Ubuntu Linux 10.10 and one big can of Rockstar! Ubuntu user #14514

Beans

Yes it's possible for certain engines (I'm not sure if xfce-engines can use images?), I just haven't tried yet. I've seen themes use custom buttons and panels that way.

I've looked for details on how to do it and haven't found any yet. If you learn how or find a guide on how to do it, please post it here.

Also, if you go to gnome-looks.org or xfce-looks.org, and look for certain themes that use images for buttons and panels, then you can download the theme, and see where and how they wrote the theme's gtkrc to include images.

The theme's gtk-2.0 folder will come with the images it uses, and when you look at the files that come with it, you can search for every image that was included and find out where it was written in the file to see where they used it and how.

Then you can download a few more themes and compare them to learn.

Beans

(Edit- this theme below uses my newest theme style like my edited post in the top thread)

This is my latest theme that I wrote. I basically changed the gradients of one of my earlier ones so it would look better in the file system and synaptic, and then I also wrote a Firefox userChrome.css to make it look correct in Firefox and I made an image for a new tabbar to be used.

This is xubuntu Feisty running Firefox 2.0.0.3, Thunderbird 2.0, Synaptic, and Thunar.

Firefox and Thunderbird are set to default classic (no used theme) so they are using my gtkrc theme and a tabbar from my userChrome.css file.
    Last edited by crimesaucer; June 19th, 2007 at 05:04 AM.

Beans

This is a link to my newest theme at xfce-look.org: http://www.xfce-look.org/content/sho...?content=57138

It includes the Emerald theme, and a userChrome.css for Firefox to look good.

Beans

Another updated version of the my newer style-

This is Firefox and Thunderbird 2 using the default themes that use my gtkrc theme, all that's needed is a simple userChrome.css with a small image for the tab-bar:

Exaile! and Thunar:

Last edited by crimesaucer; May 4th, 2007 at 09:22 PM.

Beans

"gtkrc" question for somebody out there. It's driving me crazy.

On a gtkrc theme I've got - it's a darker theme - the inactive menu items and text in inactive windows seem to have a white drop shadow offset 1 pixel in x and 1 pixel in y that makes the text look really bad. The normal menu items are around #808080 and the inactive menu items are around #303030 and with that white offset behind them, they look really funky.

Here's an image as an example...

Any ideas on how to tweak that?

Beans

Maybe it's in the theme engine code, hard coded. Or maybe you can switch that in the gtkrc

But we need to know which theme are you using ?

Paste the gtkrc aswell if possible

Beans

That's a difficult one, I know that the font is fg[INSENSITIVE] for the text that can't be clicked in the drop down menus. As for the background color of it, I don't know how to fix that white color...I have a problem with it on all of my dark themes also. It is mostly in my Thuar file system.

I couldn't change it using any of the hex color codes in the gtkrc for xfce...I think it has something to do with the default widgets and how they are in Linux and the theme engine. It is that way for insensitive toogle buttons also, and insensitive radio and check buttons too.
    Last edited by crimesaucer; June 19th, 2007 at 05:06 AM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast