Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: R installation

That'd be Edgy. Is there any particular reason that you're not using the R packages provided in Ubuntu?
    William Grant
    Ubuntu Developer

Beans

No, no reason except my own ignorance. At first, I tried installing R using the Synaptic Package Manager. I checked the program box, but got a similar error when I tried installing. I am new to Ubuntu, and not terribly experienced using R either, so I could easily be doing something stupid. Any suggestions are welcome!

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

fujitsu makes a good point... unless you have a need to use the latest R version, the ubuntu packages should work just fine. If you are new to R and just learning the syntax, then the R version in the edgy repos should do everything you need.

Reasons you may need the latest R version:
    1. you are trying to squash a bug, and need to know if it is present in the latest stable version
    2. you require the use of a feature in a package that requires the latest version

I need the latest version because the drc package I use for dose response curve fitting requires 2.4.1 to access the latest features (its still under active development).
    This looks nothing like my signature...
    My Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jkirby65 View Post
    No, no reason except my own ignorance. At first, I tried installing R using the Synaptic Package Manager. I checked the program box, but got a similar error when I tried installing. I am new to Ubuntu, and not terribly experienced using R either, so I could easily be doing something stupid. Any suggestions are welcome!

Jim
    Try removing the extra non-ubuntu.com lines from your sources.list, opening up Synaptic, reloading package lists, and installing R again. It should work.
    William Grant
    Ubuntu Developer

Beans

Hello, all--

I'm in the same boat with JKirby-- new to Ubuntu, new-ish to R. Edgy.

I tried the same steps recommended here-- changed my sources.list, used apt-get, then used aptitude. Also tried Synaptic, without my lines in the sources.list (in which case Synaptic does not know R exists) and with, which gets me similar messages as when using apt-get.

The problem seems to be that r-base-core depends on zlib-bin and on libgfortran1, which can't be installed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ken

Beans

D'oh! I got it. I had to uncomment the "universe" lines in sources.list. R installed (via Synaptic) and runs beautifully now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I could install R from the Ubuntu repositories, and now using the repository mentionned in this thread. However, I run into th issue that graphics do not work:

* In a terminal, I launch R fine
    * From the R-command prompt, typing
    demo(graphics) launches the graphics demo. However, R can produce graphics:

Code:
    > demo(graphics)

demo(graphics)
            ---- ~~~~~~~~

Type  <Return>   to start : 

> require(datasets)
    [1] TRUE

> require(graphics)
    [1] TRUE

> opar <- par(ask = dev.interactive(orNone = TRUE))
    Error in X11() : could not find any X11 fonts
    Check that the Font Path is correct.
    > 
    >
    This is a brand new Ubuntu edgy installation. Anyone experienced this? I am very new to Ubuntu, so I would not know where to look to set the Font Path (probably this is an R setting?)

Beans
    Distro

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=14

See the above post for instructions on how to fix the plotting/fonts issue.
    My Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is great. Indeed, this resolved the issue! Thank you for providing the link. I did search myself, obviously, but it is not always easy to spot the right information. For R it is in particularly difficult, because simply searching for R returns a lot of hits indeed

Is this issue known by the Ubuntu developpers? Probably, there is a place where issues can be filled, but I am very new and didn't discover it yet.

I thank you again. Additionally, I particularly appreciate the high speed by which you helped out.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    This is great. Indeed, this resolved the issue! Thank you for providing the link. I did search myself, obviously, but it is not always easy to spot the right information. For R it is in particularly difficult, because simply searching for R returns a lot of hits indeed

Is this issue known by the Ubuntu developpers? Probably, there is a place where issues can be filled, but I am very new and didn't discover it yet.

I thank you again. Additionally, I particularly appreciate the high speed by which you helped out.
    I'm glad it fixed your problem. Searching these forums for help on 'R' is certainly not very helpful. I'm not sure whether the problem is known to the Ubuntu devs... we're close enough to Feisty now, I will probably wait and see if its fixed and file a bug report there.
    My Page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast