Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the first free or open source software you used?

Beans

Re: What was the first free or open source software you used?

The first open source software i tried was Red Hat 4.

We had a computer course on university with old Unixs.
    They was very hard to deal to us, very used to dos command...
    Saw a magazine with the RedHad Cd and tried.
    I could managed to make printer print (not bad). My 14k modem (pure speed, lol), of course, never worked.
    I work on it to get used to shell commands and forget it as the course was done.

Later when i got a new computer, it came with a lot of disc space, so i decided to give Linux just another tried. It was after a week of fighting the box, trying to install Win98 and W2k on it (the first was very bad but i had paid software specific for it...). My only mistake was that i always installed W2k first and that make w98 installation brake (Microsoft products seems to be generally incompatible with each other!)
    Besides a lot of times installations frozen in the middle of process.

I was very irritated when i reboot with a RedHat8 (i think...) on it.
    It failed almost at once and report that the device seems to be incapable of read the media correctly so installation would be aborted!
    I almost scream. Then calm down, remembered the frozen installs, replaced the cdrom driver with the one from the old computer and things go well. That drive totally died 1 weak later on the old computer. At least Anaconda refused to work on it. Microsoft don't seems to do any test neither on media nor devices It would saved me a lot of time.

Installations of Linux was so simple as so easy, specially compared with the nightmare i had the weak before, that even before install ended i was converted! I quick upgrade to RedHat9, then move to other distros, never stop using Open Source software since then.

Never missed Windows, btw.

Beans

My first would probably be the Public Domain program SPICE (Simulation Program with IC Emphasis), coded in FORTRAN. We used punch cards to enter our circuit descriptions.

Beans

Mozilla vanilla, I think it was version 1.0 of it.
    I didnt use firefox till it was version 0.7
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

An early version of audiograbber. After that, I tried to replace every MS and proprietary piece of software with freeware. It was a nice to have an entire windows based system with not one piece of paid for software bar a couple of games.

Still, it didn't stop windows being crap, hence the eventual switch to linux.
    Nothing to see here, move along...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I think it was Firefox 0.7, although it may have been 0.6. The other possibility is Gaim 1.x, I found that while looking for alternatives to msn to avoid the ads that were in MS's client.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The first version of the VLC media player

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by tubasoldier View Post
    IN 2002 i started by
    trying Red Hat Linux 7
    and using firebird 0.2 (now known as firefox)

IN 2003 I
    installed Mandrake 9.2 and have been using linux ever since.
    I think you'll find 0.2 was known as Phoenix browser, later to become firebird and then firefox.

Mine would be Redhat 5.1 or possibly Caldera something or other. Both were in 1997.
    Last edited by SlCKB0Y; March 5th, 2007 at 12:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I had heard of Linux before, but I tried it myself for the first time in 2002 when I leased a laptop from my university. It had some custom Red Hat 7.3 version on it called "Flying Linux". Í wasn't that impressed when comparing it to Windows 2000 (which was also installed on it), but at least I got to try it and everything worked, including the wireless network card.

We were forced to use Linux and Emacs in an early Java course, and I think Emacs was what actually made me read about the FSF and the GNU project. I didn't care much about it until later when I realized that GNU software generally was a lot better than the crap you got from Download.com.

In 2005 I decided to give Linux another try and chose Ubuntu, which I haven't regretted.

Edit: Wait a minute! I used ZSnes and CDEx long before that, without realizing what the GPL was. Could have been as early as 1998.
    Last edited by Erik Trybom; March 5th, 2007 at 06:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

It was Firefox 1.5

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The first open-source app I can remember deliberately using would be Firefox (don't remember the version).

The first "free" app would probably be something like Winzip.

Of course, with both these answers I need to include a disclaimer. Since I've been using computers for many years I may well have been using an open-source app and never realised it for instance.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast