Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dohickey Alpha 0.5 - Testers and Angels needed

Beans

Re: Dohickey Alpha 0.5 - Testers and Angels needed

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    Hey all, it's me again the echo thread poster *hellow big empty caven of users*

I've personal invested in a web service to host dohickey and it's server implementation as a result I've redone the website (not a great deal but enough) and got us a spanking new home at http://dohickey-project.com/

I'm a terrible speller so it's most likely there are spelling mistakes in there.

also you can see the screenshots posted above there and I still need more people to post their complete device listings so I know the client won't chop hardware into little bits.
    holy CRAP martin, you've gotten a lot more done with that site. A wiki and everything, huh? Looking good. a hell of a lot faster than sourceforge as well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

maybe you can negotiate and try to get your own sub-forum here so people can post bugs, give suggestions, and the like.

btw i tried the 5.2 release, it finally runs (lol) and the gui loads fine, the only thing that does not work currently is actually rating the hardware (clicking the stars does nothing... the rate button does nothing)

and what do you mean post complete device listings? post screenshots of what dohickey shows? or something else?
    Last edited by Polygon; March 13th, 2007 at 05:22 AM.
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

and what do you mean post complete device listings? post screenshots of what dohickey shows? or something else?
    that is exactly what I mean, the 0.5.2 release has some bug fixes for motherboards but I only have one so it's not a very wide-ly tested bit of code. I need to make sure that your motherboard appears as a) a motherboard b) in once piece and c) doesn't eat any other devices by mistake.

The more people the better, and yes 0.5.2 I have disabled the ratings while I fix the shoddy translation problems; in fact you should see fields labelled 'SName' (sweedish) but that is to be expected with an alpha and things are coming along nicly.

this morning I got the perl site up, you can go to http://dohickey-project.com/ and click on the administration link and request a user account, I'll see users on this forum get accounts to test the server side too.

Thanks for giving it a go Polygon
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

the two attached pictures show exactly what dohickey displays for my computer

and consider asking ubuntu-geek or whatever for a sub forum, its going to be hard having everything related to dohickey in just one post
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I'm getting the same as Polygon..

When i try to go to preferences, i can't 'save' anything.

Iarwain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

When i try to go to preferences, i can't 'save' anything.
    Yes, that part isn't coded yet, sorry bit of a distraction while other things are fixed. I do beg your pardon.

the two attached pictures show exactly what dohickey displays for my computer
    Most interesting, your computer points out two problems, 1) that nforce motherboards aren't combined correctly and that 2) IDE zip drives arn't dealt with correctly.

Could you email me the output from list-hardware.py? I'll try and decode what information about nForce I have to go on. (Sometimes I think I'll just patch the kernel instead of messing around lol)
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'

Beans

neither 0.5.1 or 0.5.2 are working for me. I get this error:

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/bin/dohickey", line 5, in <module>
        from Dohickey.fields.set import FieldsSet
      File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Dohickey/fields/set.py", line 10, in <module>
        sys.exit(1)
    NameError: name 'sys' is not defined
    Pardon me if it's obvious, but I am kind of tired so thinking is slow tonight.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    Could you email me the output from list-hardware.py? I'll try and decode what information about nForce I have to go on. (Sometimes I think I'll just patch the kernel instead of messing around lol)

attached is the output
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@All: see attached to see if your bugs are fixed (apart from the prefs which isn't coded)

@Polygon: Motherboard should apear now, if not email me

@MM: you should now see a real error as to what is wrong.
    Last edited by DoctorMO; March 15th, 2007 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Great work I have to say. And I'm glad to help out, although I'm disappointed I don't see you getting a lot more help. Particularly when there is so much response in threads that end up wanting to do essentially what you are trying to do already.

Anyway, I tested 0.52 on the computer I just built. Some stuff showed up great. The GeForce 6200, the Dell 1100 printer, and the Intellimouse Explorer. Other stuff was good, but only for someone who built there own machine. I am pretty sure that is the correct hard drive model number, but if you didn't know that it would look odd. The wireless is the exact chipset and all, which I suppose is the best you could imagine you could get. And the USB DVD burner is totally vague, I don't remember it ever being called that. But the motherboard is still a mess. I don't know if its within reason to have it show as a Abit IS-85.

The interface is better though, but rate doesn't work now. And their seem to be less details I can enter about the part.

I hope that helps. And I think a lot of this stuff would be improved if it was connected to the proposed database and could cross reference that with what people have already identified. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast