View Poll Results: Do you want a dedicated look/artwork/eyecandy forum?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 82.86%
  • No

12 17.14%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eyecandy forum?

Beans

Re: Eyecandy forum?

I've merged three of these threads into one and here is the result:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=223
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?
    Please don't PM support questions, post a thread so that everyone can benefit
    Join us in #ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by PriceChild View Post
    I've merged three of these threads into one and here is the result:

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=223
    Nice, I'm glad to see this implemented! Thanks, staff.

I'd like to continue the discussion about that forum's content, and - in particular - the description. It currently reads:
    "This section is for all your compositing needs. This includes Beryl, Compiz, xcompmgr, and other fancy apps which take advantage of compositing managers such as kiba-dock and avant window decorator"

...and the forum title is "Desktop Effects & Customization". I think the title is very good, and in my opinion the mention of customization is spot on! This is an intuitive (to me, at least) indicator of what the forum is all about.

Now, in my opinion, it would be clearer if the description also included other sorts of "customization" besides "compositing". I'm thinking of the following, at least:
    - Desktop "looks": theming and wallpapers.
    - Desktop "widgets": SuperKaramba for KDE, what other alternatives there are for other DE's.

So, the description could continue with the following:
    "...avant window decorator. This is also the right forum for desktop theming, wallpapers, and desktop widgets such as SuperKaramba."

kko1

Beans

I think the extra bit you are talking about would best be suited in "Desktop Environments"
    Every time you install Jaunty, a kitten........ wait sorry what year is this again?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I think the extra bit you are talking about would best be suited in "Desktop Environments"
    I tend to disagree. My reasoning:
    - Lots of the theming is done to obtain a certain "look", or "feel", to the desktop. Examples include for instance "a Mac Os X -like look", "a customized toolbar", and "cool & useful widgets" (also familiar from Macs).
    - The different themes have to do with exactly "customizing" the (look of the) desktop, and a certain amount of "Eyecandy", i.e. much the same reasons I believe Beryl & co. are popular.
    - Even if the widgets add some useful functionality, like showing the weather forecast on your desktop, I think much of the point is that it also looks nice.

Finally, what I think are two of the most compelling reasons, from a forums administrative point of view:
    - As I wrote earlier, I think collecting all of the desktop "looks and feels" customization -related topics in one forum would be most intuitive for the users, and this could be reinforced with the forum description.
    - Secondly, with the amount of threads in "Desktop Environments" being as large as it is, focusing on applications and functionality in one and looks and customizations in the other would help keep post counts in both forums at more reasonable levels, helping the reader (and posters) find what they want.*

*) "Helping the reader find what they want" implies that I think the "audience" for Beryl on one hand and for desktop themes and widgets on the other hand would be much the same, i.e. have these combined interests. (Hmm, this is actually what I said above about the common reasons for why Beryl & co. are popular, but re-phrased.)

That's all, but I hope you give it a thought and find my argument convincing enough.

kko1

Beans

Ok then I think we should draw a simple line...

Those that require the DM in order to be used, e.g. wallpapers, belong in Desktop Environments. Those that require some form of compositing or are possible using a compositing manager, e.g. different wallpapers per workspace in GNOME, go into Desktop Effects.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok then I think we should draw a simple line...
    ...for some values of "simple".

I'll try to explain below why I feel that drawing the line like you suggest may not be the best option.

Those that require the DM in order to be used, e.g. wallpapers, belong in Desktop Environments. Those that require some form of compositing or are possible using a compositing manager, e.g. different wallpapers per workspace in GNOME, go into Desktop Effects.
    ...whereas different wallpapers per workspace in KDE are a built-in feature (no compositing needed), and therefore go to Desktop Environments? That is a distinction that comes from the technology used in the implementation, and not from the intended effect, which in this case would be "having a nice-looking alternating desktop background".

(DM? Or WM as in "window manager"? Or "DE" as in Desktop Environment? I don't think the exact definition makes much difference though, just curious if I'm missing something here.)

I am not intimate with compositing managers, so please excuse if something I say doesn't make complete sense to you. Nevertheless, I don't think "compositing" alone should determine what goes where. As I understand it, it's only a technique / technology of implementing something that is desired - I'll continue to call this something "eyecandy", for lack of a better word.

What I forgot to say in my earlier post is that drawing the line based on technologies used is a moving target, and - as illustrated by the example above - still not always easy to define. (I'm sure there are numerous other equally valid examples.) If you (and other forum staff) want to operate with this moving target, that is fair enough. It's not my decision to make.

However if, instead, the line is drawn based on the intended effect, "the eyecandy", the forum content doesn't depend on the technology used to implement it - whether it be a built-in feature of the DE (like themeable icons, window decorations etc), or something new and fancy (like compositing), which may in time become a standard, built-in feature in a DE. ( <- The essence of the technology-based definition being "a moving target". )

I'm not saying that using the "function-based" (for lack of a better word) definition instead of the "technology-based" distinction is always simple. I'm sure there are corner case topics with both approaches. All I'm saying is that it does make sense, it has in my opinion some advantages over the other alternative, and it isn't as much a moving target.

To give a couple examples of the "function-based" divide:
    - If your question is about "why do my KOffice fonts look weird", "why does my mouse move so slowly", or "I'm having trouble with Firefox", go to Desktop Environments.
    - If your question is about "how can I get rounded window borders", "I'm having trouble with pseudo-transparent Konsole (no compositing)", "how can I change the menu icon to a custom one", or "can I view the cube from the inside", post in Desktop Effects and Customization.

kko1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123