Thread: Web design application with auto complete

Beans

Web design application with auto complete

Can anyone recommend a web design editor that can auto complete common tags as well as classes that have been defined in a linked style sheet? Other than that simple and streamline is what I'm looking for. A built in file manager would be nice, but not a top priority. From the experimenting I've done it seems like Aptana may be the best bet. It's probably possible to strip down the interface a bit and adapt to the little quarks. Regardless I thought I'd see what other have done. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Web design application with auto complete

KDE's Quanta+ can autocomplete tags and has a file manager side tab. Not sure about CSS though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by els View Post
    Can anyone recommend a web design editor that can auto complete common tags as well as classes that have been defined in a linked style sheet? Other than that simple and streamline is what I'm looking for. A built in file manager would be nice, but not a top priority. From the experimenting I've done it seems like Aptana may be the best bet. It's probably possible to strip down the interface a bit and adapt to the little quarks. Regardless I thought I'd see what other have done. Thanks.
    I will give a +1 to Aptana. My only complaint with it (which is a rather small one) is that while working in split view (showing design and code) the design does not update until you re-save the code. Not too bad for when you are actually editing the code, but when you are updating an external stylesheet and trying to see how your colors look together it is a pain in the butt. Other than that It works just as well for me as Dreamweaver ever could.
    Registered Linux user 446122 , Registered Machine 352936.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

As far as a WYSIWYG editor, there is Nvu/KompoZer, Amaya, and Quanta Plus. For web development text editors, there are quite a few.

If auto-complete is key, you may want to try Bluefish or a mature html editor. I use gedit, which at this point in time does not have an autocomplete plugin (though it would be easy to write).

You may want to read this article: Web Development in Linux (GNOME)
    - Micah Carrick | www.micahcarrick.com | GTK+ Forums