Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Make a launcher restore an open window (dock-like)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Make a launcher restore an open window (dock-like)

Quote Originally Posted by PurposeOfReason View Post
    I'm having a bit of trouble with this, I've had it working on my laptop before but I can't get it now.
    I'm not sure why either 64-bit or Amarok in particular would be an issue, but unfortunately I don't have the time now to troubleshoot (especially as I don't use either by default). I'm in the middle of writing/defending my dissertation and will be moving and starting a new job immediately after, so it will probably be close the new year before I revisit this and start to address the remaining issues. All I can immediately suggest is that if it opens but doesn't bring it to the front OR minimize, it's probably a name/class issue; if it does bring it to the front but doesn't minimize, it's probably an issue with interfacing with the window manager, which is a more complicated fix (as it turns out that essentially none of the window managers are truly following all the specifications they are supposed to, and Metacity in particular has several subtle bugs related to window identification).

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I've been using this method for quite a while and it generally works very well but I'm having trouble getting it to work with VirtualBox when using startup parameters to launch with a particular virtual machine.

I can get it working when starting Vbox with the "VirtualBox" command, but I generally use this command to launch windows xp automatically:
    Code:
    VBoxSDL -vm WinXP
    wmctrl -lx gives me this:
    Code:
    VBoxSDL.VBoxSDL         N/A innotek VirtualBox - WinXP (HWVirtEx)
    I've tried various combinations with no luck so far.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shame View Post
    I've been using this method for quite a while and it generally works very well but I'm having trouble getting it to work with VirtualBox when using startup parameters to launch with a particular virtual machine.
    I'm assuming from this that you can get it to work without the startup parameters? If so, please post a couple of the complete commands you've tried with the parameters and I'll see if there's something I can figure out. If not, it will unfortunately have to wait at least a few more weeks (until I switch from VMware to Virtualbox) or a bit longer (until I have time to really revise the code).

Beans

An update for those who have posted problems in the last few months.

1. If you have a %u on the end of your launch-restore command line, and do not actually need it (nearly all cases, I'm actually not sure why so many programs have it), removing it may help with inconsistent behavior. I've noticed, especially in Gutsy, that passing the empty parameter sometimes modifies the program's response to being called.

2. Virtualbox is a problem. I haven't figured it out yet, but the various VBox utilities do something very odd with the parameters they are invoked with, such that they don't parse correctly when passed by launch-restore. As I've switched to VBox and like to directly invoke my virtual machine using VBoxManage or other tools, I will be working on this, but can't promise a solution.

Also, as this post should indicate, I am starting to resume active development on this project, and while I hope to have a significantly improved version relatively soon, I can't commit to a deadline. Some of the improvements will require my learning a new set of programming tools, so that will slow me down a bit. Please do continue to identify problems and I'll try to resolve those, possibly releasing an intermediate version to deal with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This seems to be a very good program, but I search how to use for always have only one instance of evolution, could you help me please?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by atlas95 View Post
    This seems to be a very good program, but I search how to use for always have only one instance of evolution, could you help me please?
    I don't use Evolution, but my test case of
    Code:
    launch-restore evolution evolution
    worked. You can add the -h and -a switches to respecitively hide the window list button and have the restore/minize work on all windows. If it isn't working for you, please post your launch-restore line and the behavior you observe.

Beans

I've just posted version 0.52, which should resolve the problems with certain programs not responding correctly when passing arguments (e.g., virtualbox). I'm in the process of rewriting much of it to replace dependency on wmctrl and allow for easier use and configuration, if time allows I will have a radically revised version posted in a few days.

Beans

Upon further investigation, I've concluded that most of what I want to do is simply not possible without many weeks of dedicated effort, very low-level code (I'm a high-level programmer), and relatively little gain from the user's point of view anyway. If there is demand, I should be able to implement a fix for the wmctrl bug that requires a keyboard shortcut to minimize, if anyone is having trouble with that aspect, and I'll fix any straightforward bugs that are reported. Unfortunately, beyond that I simply do not have the time due to the demands required and the incredibly poor documentation available for how to work with X.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I've been happily using this for some time but it doesn't seem to want to work with Firefox/Iceweasel 3

It does focus the window but then always opens a new instance as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shame View Post
    I've been happily using this for some time but it doesn't seem to want to work with Firefox/Iceweasel 3

It does focus the window but then always opens a new instance as well.
    My limited experience with Firefox 3 suggested it's a more eager than v2 to open new windows in general. First try modifying the launch-restore command to remove the "%n" (if present) from the launcher command. You can also try setting the following options in about:config:
    Code:
    browser.link.open_newwindow = 3
    browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction = 0
    The first option is equivalent to the "open new pages in tabs" (instead of windows) setting via the Preferences interface; the second is the one more likely to have an impact, as it should supress all automatically spawned new windows.

If none of that works, please post the output of wmctrl -lx when the browser is running and your relevant launch-restore command. This may motivate me to give rc2 a try, after being put off by the last beta.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast