Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Run Exact Audio Copy (EAC) on Linux

Beans

Run Exact Audio Copy (EAC) on Linux

Introduction
    Hands down, it is often agreed that EAC is the best CD ripper out there. And it was one of the things I took for granted when I switched. So basically, I set out to use it using WINE, and really, its just as fast, and runs perfectly, no problems in any feature from what I can see.

(If you want to make WINE look better without msstyles read this guide.)

Configuring WINE: Part I
    Open your terminal in type in:
    Code:
    winecfg
    And go to the "Drives" tab, and press the "Autodetect..." button.
    It should scan for drives, and find a handful of them. Find /media/cdrom drives, if you have more than one then apply this step to all of them. Click on the drive letter ( in my case E: ) and press the "Show Advanced" button, and then select the "Type" of the drive to be "CD-ROM", apply to every drive that is a CD drive, and press "OK".

Installing EAC
    Download the installer for Exact Audio Copy, then double-click eac-0.95b4.exe on the downloaded file and simply install like any other app.

Configuring WINE: Part II
    Go into your terminal and type:
    Code:
    winecfg
    and in the Applications tab, press the "Add Applcation" button and browse to EAC.exe, and click on it and select a NT operating system from the Windows select box (those being NT/2000/XP), and press "OK".
    As it launches cancel the wizard, and press F9, and under the "Interface" tab, select "Native Win32 Interface for NT/2000/XP". Press "OK", and restart the app. Put a CD in your drive, and hopefully all will go well.
    You should now be able to simply launch by using
    Code:
    wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Exact\ Audio\ Copy/EAC.exe
    in your favorite terminal.
    Last edited by quandar; October 1st, 2006 at 11:08 PM.

Re: Run Exact Audio Copy (EAC) on Linux

Hi, I am super glad that I have, because to you, finally gotten EAC to work without booting back into windows. Thanks.

There is just one thing that I would like to mention that might save some folks a little bit of time.

When I was setting up the drives in the initial 'winecfg' I needed to have cds in the drives or else they wouldn't stay set to CD-ROM, they would switch back to Local Hard Disk.

And I believe this is a fault on my end but I can't get the EAC.desktop file to work, for some reason it just won't start. Copying the command to the terminal works just fine and is sufficient for me so I am not going to worry to much.

-Erik

Edit: Considering the user below me is having the same problem with the shortcut it might not be my fault but I am not knowledgeable enough to fix it.
    Last edited by whythehellcantilogon; March 15th, 2006 at 03:22 AM.

Beans

EAC doesn't find any cd drives. I've changed /media/cdrom0 from autodetect to cd drive in winecfg. When I started EAC in terminal (I can't get the shortcut I made in the menu to work) I get these error messages:

Code:
    [fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 0.
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 1\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 2\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 3\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 4\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 5\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 6\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 7\Logical Unit Id 0
    fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 1.
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 1\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 2\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 3\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 4\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 5\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 6\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 7\Logical Unit Id 0
    fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 0.
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 1\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 2\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 3\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 4\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 5\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 6\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 0\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 7\Logical Unit Id 0
    fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 1.
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 1\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 2\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 3\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 4\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 5\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 6\Logical Unit Id 0
    err:aspi:SCSI_GetDeviceName Could not open HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\Scsi\Scsi Port 1\Scsi Bus 0\Target Id 7\Logical Unit Id 0
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "CD Title " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "CD Artist " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Year " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Genre " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "freedb " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text " Various Artists " of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Load" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Save" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "New" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    fixme:win:SetWindowTextA setting text "Delete" of other process window (nil) should not use SendMessage
    Somebody with same problem or a solution to it?
    "My life is 50% sarcasm and 50% sick humour."
    -Me (said with 50% sarcasm)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

note: this is not bashing or a flame

i am just wondering why you would want to use eac unter linux. isnt that what sound juicer does, it also rips them into lovely oggs rather than mpee3s? i would rather have it the other way round sound juicer on windows, but thats just me, ill settle with cdex, as it ripps to ogg.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by junior aspirin
    i am just wondering why you would want to use eac unter linux. isnt that what sound juicer does, it also rips them into lovely oggs rather than mpee3s? i would rather have it the other way round sound juicer on windows, but thats just me, ill settle with cdex, as it ripps to ogg.
    Why I don't use ogg? Because my Mp3 player (USB) can't play ogg. If it could, I would definitely use ogg.
    "My life is 50% sarcasm and 50% sick humour."
    -Me (said with 50% sarcasm)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

EAC can also rip into Ogg Vorbis, but the idea is that it works very hard to get a PERFECT copy.

Sound-Juicer and most other CD-rippers will sometimes let errors through (often very minor and probably inaudible ones)... and paranoid folks like to make sure they are getting a quality rip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

originally posted by junior aspirin
    note: this is not bashing or a flame

it should also be noted that eac is the only app that is accepted for ripping live recording that have been burnt to cd audio. top quality guide quandar.

-Syco54645

Quote Originally Posted by PtS
    EAC doesn't find any cd drives. I've changed /media/cdrom0 from autodetect to cd drive in winecfg. When I started EAC in terminal (I can't get the shortcut I made in the menu to work) I get these error messages:
    I believe you need to tell EAC to use the Win32 interface. I was able to recreate your error when I switched from Win32 to the default.

Start EAC-->press F9 --> click on the interfaces tab --> select the native win32 interface.

Hope this helps.

-Erik

Beans

Again, not trying to flame or anything, but does EAC do anything quality-wise that cdparanoia in full paranoia mode doesn't? Personally, I've always used abcde to rip my CDs but there are plenty of GUI front ends for the paranoia library, too. I guess I'm saying why go through the effort of wine when there are native and open source programs that are (as far as I know) just as good?

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and EAC does something that cdparanoia doesn't. Any additional info from someone more knowledgeable would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Oh my god oh my god oh my god. I never thought this would happen thank you so much. This is great. Now I can believe in my rips and I can use all the latest codecs by just pointing the program towards whatever command line encoder I want. I missed AoTuV Vorbis soooooooo much. This rocks. Thanks for making there be 100% no reason for me to ever need to boot back to Windows.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast