Thread: Low Framerate in WoW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Low Framerate in WoW

I've been playing world of warcraft on Linux for a couple months now, and the longer I play, the more difficult PVP seems to be with my low framerate, typically between 7 and 20 frames per second. I was wondering, if there are any tricks, short of disabling the OpenGL extension in regedit, which I have already done, that will increase my framerate significantly.

I also would like to know if my framerate is suffering solely due to my specs: 2.0gHz Celeron @ 2.8gHz, 1024MB DDR2 RAM, nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP 128MB. And if it is due to my hardware, what can I upgrade to get the largest performance boost, my guess would be CPU, but please tell me if otherwise.

I appreciate your help and anticipate your replies.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Moving /home To a New Partition | Creating Backups | Mounting Windows Shares At Boot
    Linux User #409900 | Ubuntu User #4897

Beans

Re: Low Framerate in WoW

Dude, if you care about gaming then you shouldn't have bought a Celeron in the first place.

Don't really know about the how much RAM WoW needs, but I think the graphics card should be fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by BitTorrentBuddha View Post
    I've been playing world of warcraft on Linux for a couple months now, and the longer I play, the more difficult PVP seems to be with my low framerate, typically between 7 and 20 frames per second. I was wondering, if there are any tricks, short of disabling the OpenGL extension in regedit, which I have already done, that will increase my framerate significantly.

I also would like to know if my framerate is suffering solely due to my specs: 2.0gHz Celeron @ 2.8gHz, 1024MB DDR2 RAM, nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP 128MB. And if it is due to my hardware, what can I upgrade to get the largest performance boost, my guess would be CPU, but please tell me if otherwise.

I appreciate your help and anticipate your replies.
    Decrease your draw distance. It helps tremendously with frame rates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sammi View Post
    Dude, if you care about gaming then you shouldn't have bought a Celeron in the first place.

Don't really know about the how much RAM WoW needs, but I think the graphics card should be fine.
    Made the computer when I was 15, and didn't have a job. I didn't care about gaming at the time, and didn't have the funds to beat the value of a Celeron. But what your saying, is that a CPU upgrade will definitely be a good way to go to up my framerate?
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Moving /home To a New Partition | Creating Backups | Mounting Windows Shares At Boot

Beans

Other than doing what justin whitaker suggests and buying a whole new computer... yes. Celeron was never meant for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Building a new computer seems like the path to take here, the one I've got right now only has a 30gb hard drive and a pretty bad motherboard. Thanks for your replies.

Beans

i had same problema with a radeon 9600 pro, but i dont hink you need a new computer since im playng this game with my onboard intel card right now, i thinhk this tweak can solve the problem :

OpenGL Registry Edit

A common performance tweak for wine and opengl games is a registry edit. While your results may vary, many users report up to a 100% increase in framerate with no loss of stability. To make this change, do the following:

1. Open regedit (regedit)
    2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\
    3. Right click on the wine folder and select [NEW] then [KEY].
    4. Replace the text New Key #1 with OpenGL (case sensitive).
    5. Right click in the right panel and select [NEW] then [String Value].
    6. Replace the text New Value #1 with DisabledExtensions (case sensitive).
    7. Now right click on DisabledExtensions and select Modify
    8. A dialog box should appear. In the value field type GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object

Here's a screenshot of what it should look like, roughly, once you've done this: http://appdb.winehq.org/appimage.php?iId=3746

and dont forget when create the laucher put the -opengl paramenter = like this WoW.exe -opengl
    i hope will work