Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Xubuntu Testers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Looking for Xubuntu Testers

I went searching for Xubuntu CD Live Feisty Herd 5 cdimage and couldn't find it - anyone have a pointer to how to get it?

Thanks, Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Looking for Xubuntu Testers

Is this it?

Beans
    Distro

Yep, that was it. It uses the same cdimage name as Ubuntu which confused me. The big clue was size at 553MB, compared to Ubuntu at 703MB (Oversize, won't fit on a CD). I'm downloading now.

Thanks, Jerry

Beans

I can't burn current (oversized) iso to test xubuntu. Am I forced to use Herd-5?

Beans

I will try again testing Xubuntu, and I really like it, and actually on those computers that must run windows, I have installed alot of Xubuntu's programs on it. Abiword, Gnumeric, etc.

One problem though, can we have an easy place or directions to find the ISO's to test? I had set up on my computer to rsync the nightly builds, but I had to change computers, and need to redo everything. And I never have found the herd* builds, only the nightly builds.

I now that the suggestions are closed for "improvements" for fiesty, so I would like to know when suggestions can be made for the net version...
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

As far as I can tell, the "Herd" designations are called at some point in time, and the "daily build" at about that time or a day or two later are what they are referring to as Herd 5, Herd 4, etc. I haven't found a way to tell if the daily-builds are large or small changes other than doing an rsync and seeing how much data is transferred.

What works for me is:

rsync --avzpPv --stats rsync://cdimage.ubuntu.com/cdimage/xubuntu/daily-live/current/feisty-desktop-i386.iso .

all that stuff from the "rsync" to the " ." (note the blank before the .) is on one line.

Replace xubuntu with kubuntu or ubuntu as desired, the different iso's all have the same filename.

Note for me, both instances of the word "cdimage" are required.

I make an exec that rsync's the .iso, rsync's the MD5SUMS, and md5sum's the local .iso. And yes, U, K, and X are in different directories or I'd be lost altogether.

And yes I had to poke around a while to find the URL's, and sometimes they change the URL's on me.

Note if the word OVERSIZE appears, the .iso won't fit on a CD. That's been Ubuntu lately. I've heard Gnome has a change in the works but I don't know if this is related to the OVERSIZE.

Cheers, Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    I'd like to add my support to this call. For Beta and onwards we will involve the whole distro team in active testing of ISOs. Unfortunately we will not be dedicating core developers to Xubuntu testing, so the community contribution is really important here.

j1mc, will you be coordinating the Xubuntu testing effort? Please email me at henrik AT ubuntu DOT com so we can get all the ducks lined up.
    Henrik, I am heading up the Xubuntu testing efforts. I'll drop you a line.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Sorry for not responding to more of these responses sooner, but I really appreciate everyone's willingness to help test Xubuntu.

If you aren't subscribed to either the Xubuntu Developer or Xubuntu User mailing list, I encourage you to do so, but here is a brief update about Xubuntu testing that I sent out to the mailing lists this evening.

I've subscribed to this thread now so I should be able to keep better tabs on responses.

I also encourage anyone who's interested in testing any of the *ubuntu flavors to read Henrik's postings in this part of the forums. He's leading these things up quite nicely.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

i can not download cd images; due to my connection

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast