Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: xfce vs. gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: xfce vs. gnome

Quote Originally Posted by shrimphead View Post
    This is probably my *only* criticism of Xfce, I love how in gnome you can just drag an app from the menu to a panel to get a shortcut to that, wheras in Xfce you have to create the shortcut manually, giving it the path, the path to the icon etc etc.

If anyone knows of an app or something that I've missed that gives you greater drag and drop in Xfce that would be awesome
    I agree that is a little clunky. I do like the drag-n-drop gnome offers or the right-click -> add application in KDE. I have to open up the menu editor copy the information over to the panel bar launcher so I can get the start up switches right.

I don't change app launchers on the panel a lot though so once I go through the initial hassle it's not really a big deal.

I noticed there are a few startup differences that I'm having to get used to that are different than gnome such as how environment settings are saved and reloaded, but eventually I'll get the hang of it. Gnome just kind of takes care of all that for you which is convenient, but I'm still having fun with xfce. Learning it's little differences has been educational.

Beans

I switched to Xfce a couple of days ago. I tried many times, but i just didn't like it. But i spent a little time customizing it, and remembering that it wasn't supposed to be Gnome and now i'm getting rid of all my Gnome apps (Epiphany, Evolution, etc) and i'm going Xfce all the way.

I have a nice machine (amd sempron 2800+, 1gb ram) but i just like the responsiveness of xfce. Plus, my cpu spikes dropped a lot

EDIT: just to make a point, i don't use xfce because my computer can't handle gnome, i use xfce because i think it's better. But i also like Gnome very much (i've always used it)
    Last edited by raul_; March 4th, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
    My blog | Arch User | Linux user #439142 | Ubuntu user #10974
    "God is real unless you declare it as integer"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

When i was using Ubuntu, my fluxbox kept messing up and I would end up in metacity with not gnome panel. So I tried out xubuntu and it works great with openbox.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

I use Xfce because I like it better, but Gnome is a very close second .... there are just certain things about Gnome that I feel are a little too automated (which is by no means a bad thing, I just like control)

Beans
    Hidden!

Using kde feisty at the moment, love xfce though, will switch this box back soon. Gnome is nice too though but slow (this is not so obvious as it was in 5.10) , I will most likely use kde on a new system though as I use quite a few kde app's so why not.

Beans

I usually use Gnome (or Beryl), but I did give XFCE a try recently and I quite liked the lightweight feel of it. However, I didn't see much difference in speed between the two and by this point I'm quite used to my Gnome setup, and see little reason to switch over to XFCE. However, if I were to do an install on a new computer (especially an older one), I'd probably go with XFCE.

Beans
    Hidden!

I tried both.

They both look the same.

XFCE is faster and nice

but I still use gnome.
    Linux user #438926.|Ubuntu Linux #10924| Questions: The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I tried both.

They both look the same.

XFCE is faster and nice

but I still use gnome.
    Xubuntu and Ubuntu look the "same". XFCE's default does not look like GNOME's default.

An important thing to remember is that Xubuntu has a very modified XFCE. I rather suggest installing xfce over xubuntu-desktop, but that's just my preference.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by raublekick View Post
    Xubuntu and Ubuntu look the "same". XFCE's default does not look like GNOME's default.

An important thing to remember is that Xubuntu has a very modified XFCE. I rather suggest installing xfce over xubuntu-desktop, but that's just my preference.
    they look the same, but xubuntu is smaller.
    Linux user #438926.|Ubuntu Linux #10924| Questions: The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I used blackbox and then fluxbox on my old slack box for the longest time. When I did a LFS project for an old notebook computer, I decided on using XFCE. I really liked it on there, so when I saw there was an XFCE-based Ubuntu, I jumped at the chance to use it. It hasn't disappointed me yet, and I've even managed to get it themed just like I want it. Very nice and customizable.

This probably will negate the point of my reply to this particular thread, but I've never actually used GNOME. Limited experience with KDE as well.
    Last edited by XeroZohar; March 8th, 2007 at 02:54 AM. Reason: woo, spelling

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast