Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nixstaller 0.2 released

Beans

Re: Nixstaller 0.2 released

This is a welcome project for sure!

Som thoughts on the needs of package manager integeration:
    - Even if you include all dependencies, and then install only those who aren't already installed, you'd need to communicate with the local package manager to tell it which files were installed, since elsewise when you, with the package manager, install program xyz which has the same dependencies as the installed program, some packages will be added/overwritten. (Since the package manager wasn't told they were already there.) No harm there, if you're not unlucky. But problems will arise when you uninstall xyz and clean the dependencies, so that the files are removed (Again since noone told the package manager that there were more programs dependent on them), and then - bang!

The nicest solution I can think of is by having the nixstaller packages include a dependency list for common package managers, or something like that...
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by red_Marvin View Post
    This is a welcome project for sure!

Som thoughts on the needs of package manager integeration:
    - Even if you include all dependencies, and then install only those who aren't already installed, you'd need to communicate with the local package manager to tell it which files were installed, since elsewise when you, with the package manager, install program xyz which has the same dependencies as the installed program, some packages will be added/overwritten. (Since the package manager wasn't told they were already there.) No harm there, if you're not unlucky. But problems will arise when you uninstall xyz and clean the dependencies, so that the files are removed (Again since noone told the package manager that there were more programs dependent on them), and then - bang!

The nicest solution I can think of is by having the nixstaller packages include a dependency list for common package managers, or something like that...
    I forgot to mention that the idea was to keep all the dependencies in a seperate directory. This way it doesn't disturbe the package manager as you descibed and updates won't break the package.

Beans

The seperate directory thing is a pretty good idea. I think it would be really cool if you started coding for direct communication with the default package manager in the system. For example, apt in Debian based systems. Eventually, this would make for really clean integration, while the seperate directory thing would be a nice safe fallback.

Of course that's a hell of a lot of work

I understand the need for different distros to have different package management systems...what I don't understand is why they don't set some better standards for communication between the package managers? That would make it easier for more than one type of package manager to co-exist on the same system, or make it easier for cross-distro installers like this one to function as well.`

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant1988 View Post
    Digg anyone?
    It is now ...
    http://digg.com/software/Nixstaller_0_2_released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Or the other crazy extreme would be that you code a package managing system yourself, that can replace the existing ones (like apt) with one unified one, which can still handle the current packages, but since its you developed it, it also has seamless integration with your installer. So something that on the one hand works like apt/synaptic but also works with your installer.

Beans

Hello all

Just wanted to inform that a new major release has been out today. New features are:
    - A new frontend powered by GTK+2.
    - More Lua scripting functionality, such as tracking widget data, locking a screen and 5 new widgets.
    - A more easy and automated way to create new project directories via a script.
    - Support for OpenBSD 4.1, NetBSD 4.X (tested on RC2) and the latest Solaris 10 (10-4).
    - Several other features such as the user being able to create a directory as root, an updated FLTK frontend, (customizable) logo support, a redesigned ncurses frontend and a way to include additional run time files. The full changelog can be seen here.

The attached screenshot shows the new GTK2 frontend. Files (including Vim 7.1 demo) can be downloaded here.

The next release is probably focused on package integration (automaticly creating system native packages).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by -Rick- View Post
    Dude, with that title you aren't gonna get much help from diggers. Use something like:

'Universal installer for linux coming soo?'

Or something that would caught some eyes. Nixstaller 0.2 released it's a little boring AND doesn't give much information for people who don't know the projetc.
    <plexr> do you know std c++ ?
    <plexr> or is a weak understanding of VB your only strength
    <ahorse_> oohhhhh he just said the equivalent of *yo momma*
    www.acgla.net <--- My webpage : )

Beans

Every go and digg http://digg.com/linux_unix/Universal...ux_Coming_Soon

This project is a brilliant idea, hope it really takes off.
    Today we have 15 minutes of fame, tomorrow 15 minutes of anonymity.
    My Blog | Veza - Opensource TinyURL clone with sensible URLs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Not to be the bearer of bad news or anything. But this has allredy been done (and is somewhat wide-spread, even has a software management tool (kinda like Synaptic, for uninstalling only)): http://www.autopackage.org/

Or am I missing something?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans

Just a comment on the name: for some it may fall short of instilling trust (Nix-staller).
    Previously known as 23meg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast