Thread: scipy

Beans

scipy

Hi there,
    does anyone use f2py with scipy? I'm having some problems getting it to work. In particular I get error messages along the lines of

error: file '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/f2py/src/fortranobject.c' does not exist

I have scipy installed (or it wouldn't have even got this far) but was wondering if i also need scipy-core installed. If this is the case then there seems to be a problem, trying to install it forces the removal of scipy. It claims that scipy depends on scipy-core but currently these packages won't allow themselves to be installed at the same time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jeremy

Beans

Re: scipy

Quote Originally Posted by jeremytaylor View Post
    Hi there,
    does anyone use f2py with scipy? I'm having some problems getting it to work. In particular I get error messages along the lines of

error: file '/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/f2py/src/fortranobject.c' does not exist

I have scipy installed (or it wouldn't have even got this far) but was wondering if i also need scipy-core installed. If this is the case then there seems to be a problem, trying to install it forces the removal of scipy. It claims that scipy depends on scipy-core but currently these packages won't allow themselves to be installed at the same time.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jeremy
    Scipy-core is an old name for Numpy (which in turn comes from the old Numeric). Scipy-core is old and not particularly useful. You should instead try installing the numpy package (assuming scipy didn't install it already) and/or the numpy-dev package (which probably has the source code f2py is looking for).

Beans

Re: scipy

Great, thanks that worked!
    Jeremy